Anybody own two...

I work with a few people who own two, and one who owns three :)
Now I got three Fractal's.........two AX8's and an AXE FX II .......and sometimes I see fractals when I drink to much Jack Daniels...but that's another issue......................

Last edited:
One Ax8, One AXE II mk1 and One Axe II XL+. Plus two MFC-101's.

Bought the XL+ just before the AX8 was released because I wanted the new features, plus wanted to support FAS for all the amazing free updates. and the AX8 for the portability. Love them all :)

I'm not using the Axe mk1 and mfc mk1 much lately so I will probably be selling those.

I'm not gigging at the moment, but IMHO whether one would need a 2nd as a backup should be viewed as follows:

1. You can comfortably afford it. This really is the #1 factor, even if you don't really need it and will never use it. If you are fortunate enough to be able to easily afford a second as a backup, just do it. Cliff and crew will appreciate your business.

2. You actually need it. If there is something complex in the way your patches are set up or specific effects unique to the Fractal family that you really need to achieve your performance goals. For example, if you heavily rely on the pitch effects and multi-delay by the time you build up a modular backup system to recreate those effects you'd probably be around the same price as an AX8. However, if you're doing pretty standard rock stuff, you could probably get by with a Tech 21 Fly Rig in a pinch at a huge savings in terms of purchase price, size when transporting, and safety concerns (less risk leaving it in the car/van or offstage).

Thought about adding another AX8 to avoid lugging it to and from rehearsal... also have a Zoom pedal as a backup

I have tiny PT metro pedalboard based around an amplifire as my backup rig - it's small enough to carry in with me onstage and ready to go - I can't imagine the ax8 failing though - it feels very well made.

I would pick up something like an amplifire to carry in my gig bag for this. Much easier. I have gigged many times with either an Axe FX2 or AX8 and have never had any problems.
Depends on what you do with your AX8. The (albeit modest) complexity of my preset setup means I couldn't simply pick up any old device for a gig and the time to program two different technologies identically, and maintain them, is entirely uneconomical.

I'm thinking about getting a second next year to keep in a small bag with a Mission SP1 for simple grab-and-go gigs. right now, I have a board with my AX8, 2 H9's, FAS EV-1, ME SP1, tuner, and wireless-all on a pedaltrain Terra. For super simple gigs, All I'd need is the AX8 with an expression pedal and it'd be a lot easier to haul than my current setup.

I keep a Tech21 Flyrig 5 in my guitar case as an emergency backup, but a second AX8 would be nice. :)
I'd have an AX8 for every room in the house if I could but alas one of these is as close as I'll get. Not yet but will probably get the Richie Kotzen version. I have an AMT SS-20 which is part way there I guess but would not like to play without some spacial effects.

Axe II w/ MFC 101, FX8, and AX8 here :) Backups & Options. I love rehearsal/gig day, it goes like this, "Hmm what am I going to bring today?" :) Thought about selling the FX8 many times, but just cant do it. Its just too damn cool, incredbile sounding, and easy to pop onto any amp laying around and get instant killer sounds. I have all my main AX8/AXE goto band presets also setup effects only on the FX8. A quick grab, pop on backline amp and in TUBE business. Combine the AX8 and FX8, and that's amazing as well.. Options. good to have them for standard use or backup if you can do it.

Are you using the Helix and AX8 together? I find using Helix in AX8 effects loop can lead to some interesting stuff.
No. We have two players. Right now my son uses the Helix and I use the AX8. He is getting a Helix soon. I may try the AX8 in the Helix loop then.

Back
Top Bottom