Anybody out there using an FXII with a Bose L1?

tonyi

Inspired
Are there any Bose L1 users out there? I play in a small combo with mostly small venue gigs. Everyone in the band owns their own L1 and it works great for us. However, I cannot get the FXII to sound as good as my ancient Line 6 Flextone II through the Bose. I have tried countless presets and tried tweaking the Bose but I get nothing that sounds good enough to justify the cost of the FXII! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

what does "good" sound like? what does it sound like now? what's missing?

i tried my axe into a bose stick and it sounded great.

does your axe sound good with anything else?

I showed up at a gig with my A2 a few years ago and a pair of L1's were waiting for me. Horrible, horrible PA solution for anything but an acoustic strummer and singer. They sucked. Bad.

Are there any Bose L1 users out there? I play in a small combo with mostly small venue gigs. Everyone in the band owns their own L1 and it works great for us. However, I cannot get the FXII to sound as good as my ancient Line 6 Flextone II through the Bose. I have tried countless presets and tried tweaking the Bose but I get nothing that sounds good enough to justify the cost of the FXII! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The Axe-Fx isn't for everyone. If you think your line6 fits the bill better then stick with it.

what does "good" sound like? what does it sound like now? what's missing?

It sounds great through headphones. I can't seem to get the headphone sounds through the L1. I thought maybe someone out there had some success and could tell me their L1 settings. Thanks.

I showed up at a gig with my A2 a few years ago and a pair of L1's were waiting for me. Horrible, horrible PA solution for anything but an acoustic strummer and singer. They sucked. Bad.

Couldn't disagree more. We're using a pair of L1's with a second sub on each for a full band setup (Drums, keys, bass, 2 guitars, and 5 vocals) all running through 2 sticks, and it sounds amazing. We've used them for small venues and outdoor gigs, and they work flawlessly. Pat Metheny uses them in a 15 piece band setting for cryin' out loud. We're playing everything from acoustic ballads to AC/DC to Prince, and the sound is amazing. The trick is to dial in your sounds using the L1's only. They have a different response curve than a standard PA or FRFR speakers, so you need to dial them in by themselves. If you're running your Axe into a power amp to regular speakers or even to FRFR on stage, you can't expect the tones you've dialed in for those to work with the L1's, it just ain't gonna work. I use Output1 for my on stage FRFR (CLRs) and run Output 2 with different EQ to the L1's. I set the input EQ on the L1's to 00. (no eq.)

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more. We're using a pair of L1's with a second sub on each for a full band setup (Drums, keys, bass, 2 guitars, and 5 vocals) all running through 2 sticks, and it sounds amazing. We've used them for small venues and outdoor gigs, and they work flawlessly. Pat Metheny uses them in a 15 piece band setting for cryin' out loud. We're playing everything from acoustic ballads to AC/DC to Prince, and the sound is amazing. The trick is to dial in your sounds using the L1's only. They have a different response curve than a standard PA or FRFR speakers, so you need to dial them in by themselves. If you're running your Axe into a power amp to regular speakers or even to FRFR on stage, you can't expect the tones you've dialed in for those to work with the L1's, it just ain't gonna work. I use Output1 for my on stage FRFR (CLRs) and run Output 2 with different EQ to the L1's. I set the input EQ on the L1's to 00. (no eq.)

Thank you so much. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I was just hoping someone was able to get a good sound. I have the L1 EQ set to 00 but it still sounds bad. I am in the process of trying every available preset until one sounds good with the L1. I found a few but so far nothing great except "Thick and Chunky". Thanks again.

if life were as easy as "call up preset xyz and plug into speaker abc"...but it isn't. I'd suggest you find a preset that is in the ballpark, and then adjust the Amp Block parameters to get closer. Most likely, because of the Bose speakers, it will call for some idiosyncratic EQ settings.

I've been saying it for a while now, it really comes down to dialing in at gig volume on the system you will be using to gig.

I dialed in on my CLR active wedges for a while and while it sounded great through the CLRs, I was not using them to project my sound to the audience. For the last couple gigs I've been using a behringer EPQ 2000 solid state poweramp and a pair of 700 watt Peavey 215 FOH speakers, and I basically retuned all my patches and levels with them and the results when we gig are stellar and easily 10x better sounding than before. My mix is perfect, my tone is perfect, and it's direct, so no house Soundguy can mess with it.

I had a bout with an L1 system but it was with an Ultra. Right off the bat I did not care for how they sounded that being said I didn't have a lot of time to tune my presets to work with that system.

FRFR speakers aren't. Headphones aren't either. Tuning a patch with one transducer (especially to a highly tweaked standard) and changing over / playing through another will almost alway disappoint.

As for the Bose sticks, I've seen and heard them used with amazing (when I realized what I was listen to) sound. One stick, two bass modules, DJ before the band, in a huge (2 1/2 basket ball courts) high ceiling, auditorium. Audience asked twice for less volume. Pretty dense, noisy crowd, techno and dance music. Sound guy and I stood with our jaws open. Sub-sonic bass clearly rolled off, but no one missed it. Axe II straight into it, just to see (not a whole gig or anything) was one minor tweak to about what I was getting out of my RCFs floor monitors, with a little more room, little less head in speaker sensation.

Last edited:

OK, I finally got this figured out. I read on a Eleven Rack forum that running straight into the base of the Bose L1, not running through the tone match mixer is an FRFR amp. I tried this and it works great. Gives me the exact sound I get from an Atomic Reactor cab.

I tried all the eq curve presets in the L1. I'm not sure if I can customize the curve but I'll look and see. Thanks.

My Band also plays thru 2 L1s we don't use the Bose mixer but a Presonus. My guitar sounds awesome but I have a lot of time in on tweaking patches. Try plugging directly into the Bose. I have an L1 for home use to tweak my sounds and you have to have the Bose on at least 3 for developing gigging presets

Quote: what does "good" sound like? what does it sound like now? what's missing?

--

This is what a being a bit of a jerk looks like. Especially considering how helpful you usually are Chris. A bit disappointing.

Quote: what does "good" sound like? what does it sound like now? what's missing?

--

This is what a being a bit of a jerk looks like. Especially considering how helpful you usually are Chris. A bit disappointing.

I guess it all depends on how you read the text. I find nothing wrong with the questions.
Chris's information has always been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom