Anybody on a diet?

I'm not.

Probably should be though. I'm sure I don't eat enough calories and I know I have too much sugar in my diet.

44 years old, and have gone to the gym 3-4 days a week since I was 18.
I do very little cardio, heavy on the weight training. I've done P90X 1 and 2 a couple times too, they're good workouts and have more cardio than I normally would do.
All of the above has kept my weight in check. Maybe once a year I will take a week off from the gym (either because I'm travelling or sick).
I have zero health issues, and never have (yet). (IMO) It's because of my consistency at the gym.
I do agree though that diet is a huge component...I guess my diet is 'ok', so I haven't gained much at all over the years.

I have a small amount of waistline I wouldn't mind trimming up...but I can still wear pants I had in college and I'm not showing my abs off to anyone other than my pregnant wife, so she's already impressed...ha.
44? You are one of the kids around here! Enjoy it!

Inspirational pics and post Scott. My biggest thing is arthritis in the hip, and a few minor aches and pains. I did the change a dozen years ago, and I know I can do it again. Thanks for sharing your story. You are definitely looking good, but being free from the medication (and the side effects) is the biggest reward of all.

OP, glad you started this thread. Kinda reminds me that I need to get things back in focus. I know there are rockers of all ages on this forum, but I think a lot of us are people who survived the 80s and/or 90s and lived to tell about it, and we are in that age where we realize how important health is.

Yep, I knew it would be fun and inspirational... and you're right the older we get the harder it is to stay in shape and focused!

WOW just Wow @scottburrow that's awesome!!!

Lot's of good stuff for motivation here fractal peeps... let's keep it rollin!

~SS

Only thing that works for me is counting calories, so I'm doing that again - down 24lbs since Dec. Don't drink as much pop, or soda - depending on where you're from, and scaled back on alcohol too. Also try to work out every day on the elliptical for 45-60 mins...unless I was super snacky all day - that extends the workout time. :)

Same... counting calories really helps me be accountable. I use the lose it app... Cokes/Soda were a big weakness and figuring out what to snack on when I get the munchies helped.

Same... counting calories really helps me be accountable. I use the lose it app... Cokes/Soda were a big weakness and figuring out what to snack on when I get the munchies helped.

On the topic of soda (and gigs).
I sometimes bring a soda to drink on the ride home from gigs. It's the only time of the week I will ever have a soda, and it's usually just one per week. But I always think to myself....this is the worst time to be having a bunch of sugar. It's 3am, I'm usually driving 45-60 min, and I really want to stay awake (so I justify it that way). Sometimes I'll have a cliff bar as well on my way home
Question to everyone else here that gigs out regularly (and potentially works a day job).
Do you eat after your gig? If I had dinner at 7pm, and now it's 2-3am, I feel like I need something to keep my metabolism moving.
What do others do for post-gig food (or even mid-gig food)?

I sometimes bring a soda to drink on the ride home from gigs. It's the only time of the week I will ever have a soda, and it's usually just one per week. But I always think to myself....this is the worst time to be having a bunch of sugar. It's 3am, I'm usually driving 45-60 min, and I really want to stay awake (so I justify it that way). Sometimes I'll have a cliff bar as well on my way home
Question to everyone else here that gigs out regularly (and potentially works a day job).
Do you eat after your gig? If I had dinner at 7pm, and now it's 2-3am, I feel like I need something to keep my metabolism moving.

Free soda/pop at gigs was one of the things that got me hooked and the ICE COLD cans of Coke.... I don't think one a week is bad but I know myself if I drink one I'm gonna want more... I'm in no way a nutritionist and maybe some on here can give better advice, but what works for me for snacks late night or after or during a gig, maybe take something like beef jerky, trailmix or if fast food is the only option I get something grilled and I don't eat the bun. I also like grapefruit and coconut milk, helps with cravings.

Reactions: BBN
OK, that is quite impressive. It gets a lot harder as we get older. I grew up being a sports nut as a kid, then was way too into music from my late teens and didn't even care about sports for the longest time. Stayed kind of active in other ways, but nothing like I was growing up when I was always playing something with my friends, basketball, football, you name it. (And I wonder why I have aches and pains every morning. LOL)

I am 54, and I guess it was about 12-14 years ago, I was really eating great and exercising moderately... not that 2-3 hours a day, but with the way I ate, I got down very close to what I figured was my right weight. Then I changed to a job that was more office based, and was working with a group that always seemed to have something to snack on and insisted on sharing, not to mention having potlucks about every month for one reason or another. I tried to resist for some time, but I gave in and it wasn't long before I was eating as poorly as ever, even on my own time.

I'm blessed that I work at the local university. Which so happens to have a great sports center and employee discount. Working out at work!

Free soda/pop at gigs was one of the things that got me hooked and the ICE COLD cans of Coke.... I don't think one a week is bad but I know myself if I drink one I'm gonna want more... I'm in no way a nutritionist and maybe some on here can give better advice, but what works for me for snacks late night or after or during a gig, maybe take something like beef jerky, trailmix or if fast food is the only option I get something grilled and I don't eat the bun. I also like grapefruit and coconut milk, helps with cravings.

That's why I stick to carbonated water. Still that lovely fizz, yet only water. Food on the road usually sucks, so either specify in your hospitality rider that you want a healthy meal for dinner with healthy snacks, or bring them along yourself. To leave it all up to the venue or to a late night feeling of the munchies is probably a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I'm blessed that I work at the local university. Which so happens to have a great sports center and employee discount. Working out at work!

That's why I stick to carbonated water. Still that lovely fizz, yet only water. Food on the road usually sucks, so either specify in your hospitality rider that you want a healthy meal for dinner with healthy snacks, or bring them along yourself. To leave it all up to the venue or to a late night feeling of the munchies is probably a recipe for disaster.

Agreed, I sometimes grab a can of flavored Seltzer for the ride instead of soda....but much like ShredSquatch, I love an ice cold can of Coke on my ride home.

I would never look for the clubs/bars for food on my way home...it's just going to be garbage. So I'd have to take whatever I want to eat. Just a question of - what is not unhealthy to eat at 3am?

I use "My Fitness Pal" - I think it's by Under Armor - kind of cool cause you can get some discounts just for logging in - the other day, I saw that I could get $40 off if I spent $100 on their site. Better than a kick in the face anyway! :)

I watched "What the Health" on Netflix last August and have been avoiding all animal based foods ever since. I know I'm getting some dairy and eggs in ingredients but trying to avoid as much as possible. Not so much because I'm opposed to eating animal based food but more because I feel like a pawn being manipulated by the food, health care industry.

I gig out pretty frequently - usually twice a week - but sometimes between the two projects it can end up being 3 or 4 times. I try to eat right before I go so that I won't break down and get fast food at some point in the night (especially on the drive home). I'm a total sucker for late night Taco Bell.

I’m just barely surfaced from an intense fever that broke Friday night...this is not fun but it qualifies as a helluva diet.
That stinks - glad you're feeling better. The two diets that ALWAYS work for me are the flu, and some major emotional crisis. Luckily, I've been on those diets maybe twice in my life. After the fact, It's ok - but during definitely blows.

View attachment 44774 View attachment 44773

I was diagnosed with Diabetes last June. I said enough is enough. I lost 84 pounds since last June. I have kept it off since making weight in oct. I’m no longer diabetic, and I’m no longer taking cholesterol medication. I no longer have back or knee pain. Live is much different these days for me.
That is awesome man - you look really healthy. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment!

I do Intermittent Fasting (IF), combined with nutritional timing, meaning I delay my carbohydrate intake for the day until post workout. Although I do workout regularly (3 days a week), I believe that IF is beneficial even for those of us that don't work out.

At first IF is a bit difficult, but in time the body gets used to it, and Ghrelin (the hormone that makes us hungry) cycles with the new eating patterns. The effects of low blood sugar that we get from eating as often as we do are more of a withdrawal symptom than a real issue (hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic people aside).

The problem with eating regularly is that Lipase, the pancreatic enzyme that breaks down fat, is directly affected by insulin in the bloodstream, meaning, if our insulin level is at a certain level, we cannot 'burn' fat as an energy source. Consequently, we can carry extra fat, and still feel like we have low energy at the tail end of the insulin levels coming down. So, we end up eating again, for energy. And the cycle continues. Here we have this energy in the form of fat, but cannot use it as long as insulin is at a certain level.

For me, IF has actually been the first time in my life that I've actually started to achieve results that I always wanted and never got before, namely being leaner AND continuing to gain muscle. Fasting is different than long term caloric deficits (aka "diets", which causes the body to start to burn not only fat, but muscle as well). Additionally, IF actually increases metabolism, as well as increases human growth hormone and testosterone. It's also reported to increase cognitive focus, which I find to be true for myself.

I also have to say that personally I find fasting easier than doing reduced portions per meal.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that it's imperative to consume enough water when fasting - to actually increase one's water intake. Fasting (as with any more rapid weight loss) can cause an increase in uric acid in the system, which requires ADDITIONAL water intake to flush. Without the increase in hydration, typical uric acid / gout-like symptoms can result.

Anyway, I strongly suggest anyone who's interested in IF to do their own research, AND to consult their physician first, because we are all different (despite being human) and what works for some can be detrimental to others.

Do you have any links on IF that you found particularly helpful? Would love to see them.

I've been doing the 12 hour fast which is simply not eating for 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. Really it's a simple way of tricking my mind into not snacking around 8-9pm, which has always been my worst weight loss pitfall. Seeing good results since I've started that.

I am not familiar with the concept of delaying carb intake until post workout. I've always learned that carbs fuel your workout, so I'm curious about that.

I watched "What the Health" on Netflix last August and have been avoiding all animal based foods ever since. I know I'm getting some dairy and eggs in ingredients but trying to avoid as much as possible. Not so much because I'm opposed to eating animal based food but more because I feel like a pawn being manipulated by the food, health care industry.

Agree.
Everyone should see that documentary.
I believe it is a life saver - surprisingly, we are all slow poisoned by 'manufactured' food, and extra weight is only a small part of what's going on in our bodies, thanks to the 'manufactured' food that surrounds us - it takes a few tens of years to devastate the human body - then you notice everything going wrong, even young consumers - diabetes, cardio-vascular devastation, gene expression imbalance, arthritis, high BP, brain and skin legions, lack of energy, prostate issues, performance issues, - those brown spots 'old' people get on their skin?, > it's the wrong food year after year.
All these things are NOT inevitable, they are caused by what food we buy - 'manufactured' food.

Oil is devastating - in salad dressing or anything else. There is no cooking 'oil' in nature, only on the store shelf. It's in bottles you can take home, and it's in all the food on the shelves so they can stay on the shelves for weeks - nothing grows in that oil. Doesn't matter if it's canola oil, olive, coconut, or peanut or avocado oil, it is poison - not to mention packed with a TON of calories. Eliminate it and learn how to cook without it, and without animal parts or their excretions. See Dr. McDougall 'starch solution' for how to cook, or eat out this new way, and rock on, and on.

All of the diets presented in this thread are effective for weight loss only to the extent that they reduce calorie consumption.

Maintaining a healthy body weight, regardless of how you do it, is the chief source of reduced health risks.

Back
Top Bottom