Anybody know what this looper effect is? John Scofield

Johnnyh64

Experienced
Hey, just checked out this video of John Scofield and he is using some kind of looper foot pedal at around the 23:15 mark. Let me know if you have any idea what he is using. It looks like you can loop a section pretty easily and he comes up with some wild sounds.

That's a boomerang? That's a cool feature. Can we do that with the FAS looper?

EDIT: I think it's called stutter and we can't do it on the axe YET.

Last edited:
actually all he's doing is retriggering the loop (every time he hits play, the loop restarts from the beginning)

Nice concert! I guess you can do something similar with the Axe fx looper by just hitting the play-stop or once button several time in a row.
I use my Hexe Revolver pedal for these kind of things or really short loops.

Soft touch switches on the MFC MkIII are going to make looper acrobatics soooooo much nicer. One of the things the 'Rang has going for it is those soft touch, super short throw switches. For the quick tappity tap tap tap stuff.

When I saw him at the 8x10 club in Baltimore a few years back, he was doing some awesome stuff. We had about 12 people there, believe it or not. So I was glued to the stage watching him master the effects and work the fretboard. I thought he played an RC20XL at that gig, but I am not sure, could have been a boomerang.
Either way it was a pretty cool gig.

It's really sad to hear that these great musicians are drawing so few people. Wish the bar scene was more like it was in the 80's when everyone use to think that 9:00 was the lunch time and 1:00 am was rush hour ;) Of course booze for both meals along with a pack of smokes. At least live music was alive.

Correction to my earlier post: You can do a stutter effect with the axe by assigning the looper play button to a momentary switch.

Back
Top Bottom