Anybody here with EMG pickups who could record something really quick for me?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Hi!

I used to be an EMG player, and I'm starting to wonder how hard those things really hit the front end of an amp compared to the good old passives I use now.

So I was wondering, can somebody who has either an EMG 81, 89 or 85 in the bridge of their guitar, just record a short clip of them banging out like a barre A chord on the 5 fret, with a clean DI signal? That way, I can compare how much louder it is compared to what I use now.

Guitarnerd

Hi nerd,
I'll try to do it but i doubt it will be revelant regard of the unity-gain thing, someone can light us ?

If you set input straight up and nerd does the same, it should indicate input volum.

You can just choose, and then tell me :) Since my signal will be much softer than yours, there no risk that I will overload. If we did it the other way around, there might be a risk that you overloaded with your hotter signal. Wow, this is starting to sound a bit weird ;P

Been an Emg user for years. Not got a clip but can tell u that none on the EMG even come close output wise to a lot of passive pickups. It's more of a perception thing because they're more compressed. Much less peaks & troughs in a signal (less dynamic) but the compression adds sustain rather than front end signal

Output 3-4 out of the USB is a direct signal for reamping. Use one of these for recording and bounce the track down. However, depending on your input gain - you'll never find out unless you match those levels too.

Here is the test : http://dl.free.fr/mlWGoPosy
It's a RAR archive containing a 48KHZ 16bits stereo WAV file. (You'll need an appropriate decompresser in order to get the inner WAV file, i'm sorry but my connection is slow so i had to compress the wav)

The wav is 4 samples :
- 1st is a Jackson SLA3-7 playing A chord on its neck pickup (EMG 707)
- 2nd is the same guitar playing on its bridge pickup (EMG 81-7)
- 3rd is a LTD M-1000 playing on its bridge pickup (EMG 81)
- 4th is the same guitar playing on its neck pickup (EMG 81)

The input level used for sampling was 49.8%

Thanks!

In comparison with your clips, I'm loosing about 2-3db of gain :) I always thought it was more. But then again, there are many other variables. Nice to get a clue though, thanks again! :)

There are many other variables. Nice to get a clue though, thanks again! :)
Indeed. I heightened my single coils (like you? ;)) and maybe touched the HB a small tad as well on my Luke II...
To get the reds to light, I believe I'm around 53% input.
I also used to think EMGs were supposed to be hotter, but I'd rather have low anyway (although it doesn't help me with EMGs, I guess).

Actually, I used Luke 1s and you couldn't adjust the height of the pickups. You used had to go with it :) Altough now with passive, I tend to try and match all pickups in volume via height adjustment, regardless of if it's single or humbucker.

I had an 81 and an 89 in my PRS Allender but I took them out because I hated them. While they were in there I actually had to boost the input up quite substantially (to around 80%). I'm seeing guys here who have their inputs at 50-60% and I don't understand it. I've still got the input at about 80% using passive pickups in all my guitars (Duncan Jazz and JB, Lace Holy Grails in my Strat, PRS Vintage and HFS in my CE24, and PRS 245s and a Lindt Fralin in my PRS Special). The amber lights are on consistently but almost never hit the red.

EMG's are fine. They don't overload the Axe-Fx at all because you can control the signal input. And don't worry, if you want to boost it once the signal is inside the Axe-Fx to slam the input of the amp sims, you can do that too.

Personally, my guitar has an 81 in the bridge and 89 in the neck, and I set the input volume on my Ultra to probably 1-2 o'clock. It sounds great.

I'm at about 80% for all HB pickups (all passive)... ES339, PRS 513 (Med HB)... JS1200.... Almost never get red on input (A/D range, not gain) in AXFXII.. I don't set my input for single coils, let them be where they are.. (SSS strat, Tele, though R6 is a bit hotter)..

I've never had any overloading with my EMG's in either of My Luke's. In fact I think they work superbly with the Axe-Fx II because they have the clarity to cut through an effect laden preset so well, not to mention the noise cancelling properties. No need to get too caught up about db levels etc, Just bask in the unbridled joy. As ever all my opinions are just that...opinions. Just sayin'....

I need to clarify something. I never meant that EMGs would overload the Axe-FX period. I meant that if you set your input for a PAF pickup, and then switch to a guitar with a hotter pickup without readjustning the input, THEN you will overload and get the meters more into the red than the should. That's all :)

I need to clarify something. I never meant that EMGs would overload the Axe-FX period. I meant that if you set your input for a PAF pickup, and then switch to a guitar with a hotter pickup without readjustning the input, THEN you will overload and get the meters more into the red than the should. That's all :)

I use a Telecaster with normal passive pickups also, and have no issues. I set the input levels on the Axe-Fx using my Luke with EMG's and then when I plug in the Tele, despite the pickups not being as powerful there is no need to add any input volume. The input level still seems hot enough. I think in the original Axe-Fx manual it says just set the input level to your loudest guitar and there you go, job done.

Back
Top Bottom