Anybody hear about the SIM1 pedal?

claxor

Power User
Evidently, there is a new pedal coming out that can simulate different types of electric and acoustic guitars, and you can play all of them through your own normal (not Variax) electric guitar.

Opinions?

http://www.sim-one.it/

Looks like a ToneMatch for pick-ups. The acoustic sim is not bad but nothing I would by an extra pedal for given the fact that the Axe can do it too.

Seems like a bunch of users on a forum for gear that can likely do the same thing as the gear in question wouldn’t be too likely to want to try said gear....

I had the last version of the Variax before the Yamaha partnership. It was a very well made guitar. The models were icing on the cake. When played alone, the models weren’t overly convincing. They were okay but... However, when playing with a band, I thought the models sat well in the mix and did a great job of representing the guitar it was modeling. If the pedal does the same thing, I’d consider it.

Seems like a bunch of users on a forum for gear that can likely do the same thing as the gear in question wouldn’t be too likely to want to try said gear....

Ok... so where are the pickup tone matches here? I don’t see them anywhere. If you can point to where I can get a humbucker to single coil IR, I’d be happy to try it.

Last edited:
If it's only EQ or EQ matching it doesn't work. Or at least I mean that's it's not realistic. Electric guitar sound has so much to do with the guitar itself. Pickups are only maybe 1/3 of the sound. Maybe even less.

Maybe this box can make your guitar strings sound new even through they're dead. Maybe this box can change the saddles and nut on your guitar. All of these mods are just as big as changing pickups on a guitar.

Not saying that it sucks. I haven't tried it. I'm just saying I'm very skeptical.

If it's only EQ or EQ matching it doesn't work. Or at least I mean that's it's not realistic. Electric guitar sound has so much to do with the guitar itself. Pickups are only maybe 1/3 of the sound. Maybe even less.

Maybe this box can make your guitar strings sound new even through they're dead. Maybe this box can change the saddles and nut on your guitar. All of these mods are just as big as changing pickups on a guitar.

Not saying that it sucks. I haven't tried it. I'm just saying I'm very skeptical.
while I agree the guitar has a lot to do with it, I think pickups have WAY more than "1/3rd or less" of an affect on overall tone. I'd say pups are the most important components when it comes to your tone

It's not just about the pickup tone. You physically play different guitars differently. Your body interacts with them differently. That too can have a big impact on the end result.

How does one explain discussions about distortion/overdrive boxes here, then?

while I agree the guitar has a lot to do with it, I think pickups have WAY more than "1/3rd or less" of an affect on overall tone. I'd say pups are the most important components when it comes to your tone

Agreed. Pickups have a massive impact. Scale length has an affect as well. No idea about guitar material. Guitar feel is minor to me. My Strandberg has those Tosin Abasi pickups that can switch from higher output humbuckers to single coils. My playing total changes based on pickup/preset selection. Guitar feel to me is more about just whether the guitar feels good or bad to play.

That pedal looks cool... but no external MIDI control? That makes it really annoying to use with rack gear.

listened to the demo's. IMO, doesn't make a LP sound like a Tele. The acoustic sim's don't sound authentic. The SG profile fattened up the Tele but again, I don't think it sounded like an SG. just my opinion, not for me.

Agreed. Pickups have a massive impact. Scale length has an affect as well. No idea about guitar material. Guitar feel is minor to me. My Strandberg has those Tosin Abasi pickups that can switch from higher output humbuckers to single coils. My playing total changes based on pickup/preset selection. Guitar feel to me is more about just whether the guitar feels good or bad to play.

I think that pickups, the fine tuning and how you play the guitar form most of the guitar sound. Whatever the guitar is made of has almost negligible effect on the sound, unless you have the Ears of the Gods. Although material composition can have an effect on how you play the guitar. As you approach playing a heavier guitar different then a light one.

That pedal looks cool... but no external MIDI control? That makes it really annoying to use with rack gear.

It's probably just intended for them pedal board types. Because after all, rack has been dead since what? The 80's?

It's kind of hard to measure something like "how much do pickups matter". I've recently started to build guitars myself and what I've found is that everything that touches the strings and the strings themselves are the most important part of you sound.

I would much rather play a guitar with a bone/tusq nut and steel saddles with $5 chinese pickups than a guitar with Bare Knuckles and a plastic nut and soft alloy saddles.

Sure single coils vs humbuckers have a huge difference in tone. A similar output humbucker vs another... that's what most guitarists spend their guitar mod money on while it's one of the smallest changes in the overall sound.

Just my opinion based on closely working on these things for a while. Many luthiers have this same opinion.

It's kind of hard to measure something like "how much do pickups matter". I've recently started to build guitars myself and what I've found is that everything that touches the strings and the strings themselves are the most important part of you sound.

I would much rather play a guitar with a bone/tusq nut and steel saddles with $5 chinese pickups than a guitar with Bare Knuckles and a plastic nut and soft alloy saddles.

Sure single coils vs humbuckers have a huge difference in tone. A similar output humbucker vs another... that's what most guitarists spend their guitar mod money on while it's one of the smallest changes in the overall sound.

Just my opinion based on closely working on these things for a while. Many luthiers have this same opinion.
Your statement that swapping one humbucker for another makes a small change is a bit simplified. If you said swapping a humbucker with the same magnets, number of winds, and same construction method resulted in a small change you would be correct but swapping out an 8k paf for a 16k high output humbucker is going to completely change the sound, way more than plastic vs bone nut!
Even with the same number of winds, using a different winding technique can change the capacitance and change the resonant peak of the pickup. Its measurable and audible!

How does one explain discussions about distortion/overdrive boxes here, then?

Well for one thing, a small minority of users of the Axe seem to still use external pedals, most folks seem to say they’ve replaced their whole board, no?

Second, there is a difference between something hard to do with modeling, like the dynamic fuzz/passive pickup interaction, vs what is essentially a tone match, and that the Axe provides a good ability to achieve.

I mean how many people are talking about soemthing like the Mooer IR loading pedal here ? Not many because the Axe already has a far more advanced cab block for loading Ir’s

Now on a forum for gear that can’t load Ir’s maybe that is a useful pedal with more discussion, but here, haven’t seen one discussion about it, which isn’t really surprising is it?

Back
Top Bottom