Anybody happily using a MIDI guitar rig?

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I put a few related messages into the Antares ATG-1 thread. I was looking for a unit that could not only do the tuning and simulations that the ATG-1 could do, but also act as a pitch to MIDI converter. I just found out that the current firmware in the ATG-1 DOESN'T do this yet, and I hate to buy a product based on a wish for an unreleased feature.

I used to have a Roland GR-33 (?) that I never ended up installing because I thought the sounds were artificial and gimmicky. I am actually not concerned about sounds at all... I have a few hardware synths (Kurzweil PC3K7; Roland XV-3080; Korg Karma) and a number of software synths as well.

So the question is: Is anybody using MIDI guitar to their satisfaction? By that I mean something productive in your creative process, and not just an interesting musical toy.

Thanks!

I've got a Roland VG-99 that I now use mostly for alternate tunings, guitar/sitar/etc. simulations and MIDI. What would you like to know?

I use a Roland GR-55 synth for a few songs in an acoustic/electric light rock cover band. I use it mostly for things like strings and pianos in the background, but there are a few songs where I'm using it for alternate tunings and acoustic guitar sounds. I'm not completely satisfied with the tones, but I think a lot of that will improve once I start running it through my Axe-Fx instead of using the GR-55's amp and effects modeling.

I think MIDI guitar is still a tool. It is finicky. I use a GR-55 for sound effects in recording, as mentioned above, strings, pads and ambience. I use it live for backing strings on a couple of songs.

Not being a keyboard player I also use it to locate chord structure on piano using Toontrack EZ keys. Record MIDI, playback Toontrack.

Back
Top Bottom