Anybody else getting tempted to sell for an AxeFx2?

ChainOfThought

Experienced
Starting to see prices on AxeFX2+MFC fall into the 1200-1500$ range and I'm really having a hard time not posting the ax8 up to try and upgrade. I've got an Engl poweramp to sell as well, so between the two I think I could cover the cost, I would just likely end up with a Mark1 or 2 with an MFC mark 1 or 2, rather than XL+ & mark3. OR I could maybe just get an XL+ on its own and use a cheaper midi controller for the time being.

I know a large number of us here use the AX8 by preference rather than by not being able to afford the flagship, but for those of us that bought the ax8 because of the affordable entry into the Fractal world....this is really a pretty awesome time to try and get a few pennies back out of it and finally get that rack.

Then again....could also probably just sit tight for another year or two, save some pennies here and there, eventually buy the axefxIII outright and still have the ax8 for the portable/backup rig.

Decisions, amirite?

I think one has to have a need for the II, like if they are always running out of cpu, really want dual amps, need an audio interface etc

Ax8 sounds the same for the most part and is a bit of a more streamlined form factor vs carrying a rack and then the mfc around, that is a fair bit of extra rig.

I think overall more people moved from the II to the ax8. That said, it is a great time to get a II if it meets ones needs.

Not here... I am done with lugging a rack case around to gigs.

If you want to make the move, wait till the Axe III comes out, and watch the used prices slip further down

Yea, I'm interested in two amp blocks. Not dual amps per se, but dual amp blocks for seamless switching. Cpu isn't a big issue but it wouldn't hurt. And the USB interface, easy reamping and ability to run two players through at one time and record us both is REALLY appealing.

I don't do any gigging, but I do tend to carry my ax8 back and forth from house to practice space. That said, if the extra gear to lug became an issue I would just leave it at the space and use a combo at home, or leave the board at the space and only carry the rack.

Biggest thing I think for me would be deciding if I need the XL or if a mark 1 would do the trick. I'm not super savvy on the differences so I gotta do some reading. From a cursory search I think I would really want The MFC mk3, but the axefx2mk1 would be plenty to suit my needs. Just gotta read more.

I do agree with what you said though, it's what I meant in the second paragraph of the op.

While the AxeFx has more features/power I found the Ax8 more useful for playing live. I just like the versatility of the AX8 with regard to assigning switches and it was more compact. Take a look at how the MFC works and that may help you make a decision. I recently sold my AxeFX II and MFC and I found I used them very seldom for live work after I got my AX8. That said, I still like the power of the rack units for recording so I am looking at the Axe III. As said above, it all depends on your preferences and requirements.

Yea, I have heard how the MFC is more limited in switching capabilities. But I set my presets up all the same... Couple scenes for main tone changes, ia for verb delay drive chorus.

For me, I don't play live at all, it's all rehearsal and recording. If I did play live at all I would let the ax8 get ripped from my cold dead hands.

I'm on the fence and probably won't decide fast enough to take advantage of the low prices. I absolutely want a rack, but for 2500 I might be able to just hold off for now and get a 3 when I can.

Damnit it's tempting though. I'm thinking I could get maybe 800 for the ax8, 800 for the engl, have a decent amount of cash to put towards the axefx, maybe even just get a new XL+ and wait on the controller. Or just wait, sell the engl anyways and use that to start a fund for the axe3, by the time they're in regular stock I might have been able to save enough to grab one. But then of course I come back to the fact that I only need what the axe2 offers so why not save money and grab that....ugh hahaha

I was thinking about it but I'm just now getting good with the AX8. I just need to trade something or build somebody a website ha!

~SS

I’d say since the XL+ is fundamentally the same as the II as far as sound goes, that the II is the best value since it’s going to be the cheapest option.

I think the XL is going to fall into kind of a tough spot, being more expensive than the II, yet certainly not doing what the III can do.

I’d either get the cheapest II I can find, or bite the bullet and get the III. Otherwise it’s kind of like paying extra money for what used to be a flagship but that isn’t the flagship anymore

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great unit and can produce great tones for years to come, but at the current sale pricing of $1699 I think I’d either just buy a III, or save $500 or so and pick up a II second hand

Yea that's exactly how I feel. If I'm not mistaken the XL just has more slots for ir's and presets, and more memory for larger patches. I don't use more than a couple Banks of presets and I don't use user ir's, and a regular 2 is already going to have a lot more power than the ax8 which I don't even max out.... So unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing a reason to go for an XL.

This is getting more and more tempting haha. Could borrow my buddies 6505 while I'm between units, pedalboard will work with the MFC, rack should fit the axefx although the back may hang out a bit....hmmmmmmm

I did think about it when I saw all the panic selling from some online. But much as I would really love an Axe-Fx there's nothing I really need that the AX8 isn't giving me

Not here... I am done with lugging a rack case around to gigs.

If you want to make the move, wait till the Axe III comes out, and watch the used prices slip further down
Axe III is already out. There’s already plenty of YouTube vids using the axe III.

Yea, I have heard how the MFC is more limited in switching capabilities. But I set my presets up all the same... Couple scenes for main tone changes, ia for verb delay drive chorus.

For me, I don't play live at all, it's all rehearsal and recording. If I did play live at all I would let the ax8 get ripped from my cold dead hands.

I'm on the fence and probably won't decide fast enough to take advantage of the low prices. I absolutely want a rack, but for 2500 I might be able to just hold off for now and get a 3 when I can.

Damnit it's tempting though. I'm thinking I could get maybe 800 for the ax8, 800 for the engl, have a decent amount of cash to put towards the axefx, maybe even just get a new XL+ and wait on the controller. Or just wait, sell the engl anyways and use that to start a fund for the axe3, by the time they're in regular stock I might have been able to save enough to grab one. But then of course I come back to the fact that I only need what the axe2 offers so why not save money and grab that....ugh
Starting to see prices on AxeFX2+MFC fall into the 1200-1500$ range and I'm really having a hard time not posting the ax8 up to try and upgrade. I've got an Engl poweramp to sell as well, so between the two I think I could cover the cost, I would just likely end up with a Mark1 or 2 with an MFC mark 1 or 2, rather than XL+ & mark3. OR I could maybe just get an XL+ on its own and use a cheaper midi controller for the time being.

I know a large number of us here use the AX8 by preference rather than by not being able to afford the flagship, but for those of us that bought the ax8 because of the affordable entry into the Fractal world....this is really a pretty awesome time to try and get a few pennies back out of it and finally get that rack.

Then again....could also probably just sit tight for another year or two, save some pennies here and there, eventually buy the axefxIII outright and still have the ax8 for the portable/backup rig.

Decisions, amirite?
check out my ad on the for sale forum:
Reducing to $1,750. C’mon let’s do it. This is a great deal on gear you can keep for a lifetime

I have an Axe for my studio and I bought my AX8 for gigging. The reasons I use the AX8 have not changed so it is still my favorite gigging tool ever. It's the greatest thing for GAS since Beano.

Axe III is already out. There’s already plenty of YouTube vids using the axe III.

It's not out... just a few promo videos from Larry, Cooper, and Mark. Once the AXE III drops you will see a lot of guys unloading the AXE II's to make room for the III

For me it would be an AxeFX II for home use only. Seeing the price drop really would help to keep my AX8 at the rehearsal place and building up stuff at home.

For live - yeah, the two amp blocks are nice for seamless switching between a clean and high gain sound, but with the rack and MFC in mind, I like having not so much to bring to a gig.

I think, when there will be a AX8-II it will be the same as for switching from the AxeFX II two the III. That means buying the successor, building up a recording sound at home and copy it to the AX8 may not work.

I think I need a second AX8 for home, though ;)

Yea I agree with all you guys with the live performance in mind on the ax8, but that's me. I bought the ax8 because I desperately wanted axefx but couldn't afford the flagship.

I would be using the axefx to rehearse with another guitarist and also to record both of us simultaneously. Either by taking the recording out of his mkiv and run it through a cab block, or take a dry signal from him and run it through the second amp block and straight into the interface or USB. The axefx is what suits my needs a lot more than the ax8, I just haven't been able to afford one.

I'm not really convinced that the prices are going to fall much further. I think the current closeout prices are what's keeping them low, and when that stock is gone I think they'll stabilize around 1600-1700 for an XL+

I'm on a work trip right now but I think when I get home I'm gonna post it up and see what happens. Worst case I'll use a tube amp for a while and snag one when the time is right.

It's not out... just a few promo videos from Larry, Cooper, and Mark. Once the AXE III drops you will see a lot of guys unloading the AXE II's to make room for the III
Fair point but what I meant was it’s already reflected in the going rate for an Ax fx II. The Axe III is going to be $3500 so it’s not a piece gear for the masses. I believe the price for an axe II will remain steady since you may have a lot of folks upgrading from other gear to an axe II.

Fair point but what I meant was it’s already reflected in the going rate for an Ax fx II. The Axe III is going to be $3500 so it’s not a piece gear for the masses. I believe the price for an axe II will remain steady since you may have a lot of folks upgrading from other gear to an axe II.

Its going to be $2499

When the Axe-Fx II came out it was $2100 I believe. Fractal hardly raised the price, even though the III has a lot of new features like the big color screen etc.

Back
Top Bottom