Anybody else a fan of Cab #60 - 4x12 FAS GB M160?

Randall d

Experienced
I have been searching for an IR that had the sound of a 4x12 but also had the directness and treble response of a 1x12 or 2x12. I have been using several of the widely used 4x12 cabs (TV's, Basketweave TV etc.) (Friedman BE model - classic rock tones) and liked them except they seemed distant and a bit "clunky" and "plasticky" on the pick attack. Whenever I switched from a preset using a (1x12 or a 2x12 cab) to a 4x12 it always sounded distant and muddy in comparison. After a while my ears would adjust and it would sound okay, but them switching between a small cab and then back again it would sound distant again (until my ears re-adjusted). I used to mix a 4x12 with a 1x12 in an attempt to overcome this, but was never totally happy with the results and gave up. I wanted some snap and "sprang" (even in the low strings) in the tone, and the 4x12's weren't getting me there. I had read John Petrucci uses 1x12 cabs on stage so I tried some 1x12 IR's and was still left wanting. Then after my upgrade to Qb1 I decided to go through the 4x12's again and see if there was something that got me closer to what I was looking for (and would take advantage of the new FW's dynamics). I hit on Factory Cab #60 and there it was!! The string response of a small cab with the big sound of a 4x12 without all the mud. Fantastic treble response and warm, gutsy midrange. I gigged it this weekend for two nights with my classic rock cover band and it was amazing!!!! Clarity, warmth, it had it all. This is the 4x12 IR I have been looking for. Anybody else?

I have been searching for an IR that had the sound of a 4x12 but also had the directness and treble response of a 1x12 or 2x12. I have been using several of the widely used 4x12 cabs (TV's, Basketweave TV etc.) (Friedman BE model - classic rock tones) and liked them except they seemed distant and a bit "clunky" and "plasticky" on the pick attack. Whenever I switched from a preset using a (1x12 or a 2x12 cab) to a 4x12 it always sounded distant and muddy in comparison. After a while my ears would adjust and it would sound okay, but them switching between a small cab and then back again it would sound distant again (until my ears re-adjusted). I used to mix a 4x12 with a 1x12 in an attempt to overcome this, but was never totally happy with the results and gave up. I wanted some snap and "sprang" (even in the low strings) in the tone, and the 4x12's weren't getting me there. I had read John Petrucci uses 1x12 cabs on stage so I tried some 1x12 IR's and was still left wanting. Then after my upgrade to Qb1 I decided to go through the 4x12's again and see if there was something that got me closer to what I was looking for (and would take advantage of the new FW's dynamics). I hit on Factory Cab #60 and there it was!! The string response of a small cab with the big sound of a 4x12 without all the mud. Fantastic treble response and warm, gutsy midrange. I gigged it this weekend for two nights with my classic rock cover band and it was amazing!!!! Clarity, warmth, it had it all. This is the 4x12 IR I have been looking for. Anybody else?

Yes absolutely
I tried a lot of 4x12 for my Plexi presets and this absolutely nailed it for me. I 100% agree with this

You describe the exact issues I have with irs will try again thanks. Lately I've mixed Cali with kalthallen #4 a la member kostein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh, I'm with you OP; I've been using factory cab 60 as my main IR for all of my presets since it came out, no matter what the amp is and how it's dialed in (clean, crunch, higain); that IR works with everything. One IR to rule them all lol.

When I went through several dozen amps when I went from v19 -> Quantum v1.0 factory cab 60 was the one I used for all the amps to get a feel for Quantum.

I have found that I like most any IR with the M160 as the mic.

I was thinking the exact same thing too last night as I was going through several new cab packs/speakers; the M160 IR's are my favorites by a large margin. I was even going to start a post like this asking 'what is it about the M160 mic that makes it work so well with every speaker and amp'?

Even when I was using Redwires a while back the M160 was always my favorite mic, absolutely.

I uploaded all the M160 speaker IR's from several FAS cab packs into the II and am going to spend more time and find my favorites. I'm totally in love with the newest M160 IR's.

The other mic that's also getting my attention is the RNR1 and it's associated IR's...some nice sounding ones for sure.

Interesting to see the love for it from other users...

Although I'm kinda tired of IR comparisons, I would like to see, eh, hear, a comparison of the stock 4x12 Marshall(ish) cabs w/greenback(ish) cabs, UltraRes and non-UltraRes.

Anyone? :)

List:

034 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12H30 (RW),
035 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12L (RW)
036 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M20 (RW)
037 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M25 (RW), UltraRes
038 — 4x12 1960A G12M (RW)
058 — 4x12 TV MIX C1 (ML), UltraRes
059 — 4x12 TV MIX C4 (ML), UltraRes
060 — 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160, UltraRes
069 — 4x12 PRE-ROLA GB C414, UltraRes
101 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE GREEN MIX
102 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE AX MIX
103 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE TV MIX
127 — 4x12 LERXST R121, UltraRes
131 — 4x12 TV MIX #1, UltraRes
132 — 4x12 TV MIX #2, UltraRes
146 — 4x12 MAR-CB H-PR-55 MIX (OH), UltraRes
147 — 4x12 MAR-CB M-BB-55 MIX (OH), UltraRes
148 — 4x12 MAR-CB SB-75 MIX (OH), UltraRes
158 — 4x12 MARS BW G12 ROOM MIX (TAF), UltraRes
159 — 4x12 VINTMARS+BW ROOM MIX (TAF), UltraRes
175 — 4x12 TV 160 B, UltraRes
176 — 4x12 TV 57 D, UltraRes

Mmh, who still uses this old RW-Cabs? Does a comparison still make a sense with them?

I would replace them- if there are OH-Cabs - there could be also some good Ma 25W Ir´s from CabIR.

Mmh, who still uses this old RW-Cabs? Does a comparison still make a sense with them?

I think you'd be surprised. :)

Some RW cabs still are valuable to me.
An example: I like the SLO amp model best with RW cab #045.

Guys! ML Sound Lab!
Try out the Fas Lead 1 with as stereo ultra cab and Clark Kent Job Y S + F60!

I REALLY LIKE THIS COMBO

I'm not too fond of mixing IRs, and I think the M 160 is my favorite "single" mic solution.
Sweet not-harsh high end, it cuts and has overall great tone.
Better than a 57 or 121 on their own.

SoundOnSound about the M 160:
"It is easy to hear why the Beyers are so well-known for drums. The lovely smooth lift at around 4kHz has the effect of making snare drums jump out of the wider mix and really punch you in the face: the effect is similar to giving your drummer a double vodka and Redbull and then insulting his mother just before a take!"

Premier Guitar:
On Track: The Venerable Beyerdynamic M 160 Mic

Tae Op:
M 160 & M 130 ribbon mics | Tape Op Magazine | Longform candid interviews with music producers and audio engineers covering mixing, mastering, recording and music production.

YES! I love #60. Works with so many amps just on it's own, but I find that combining it with others like the Basketweave TV (#102 I think...) gets great results.

Thread revival.

I'm loving this cab, too. Really brought the 100W Plexi/High preset to life for me. Sounds really close to my old 1960BX.

Back
Top Bottom