Any Yes fans ?

I cut my teeth on 90125. I think it appealed to me as a budding guitar player due to Trevor Rabin’s performance. It’s more radio-friendly than most of their material. I’d start there. 👍🏻
Listened attentively twice thru on 90125 - ya, gettin into it! Was never a fan of "Owner of a lonely Heart", and then read a lot of diss on this album as some sort of sellout but, have to say, it's great on a full listen for me. "It can Happen", and "Leave it" are lesser singles I kind of remember from the 80s - quite enjoyed those now. The deeper cuts are def "relistenable" for me - guitars sound heaver on here than other Yes albums I've sampled which I like. Really like the heavy guitars on "Hold On" - great song

Fragile album is my favourite. Howe-ver, there are other songs / albums like And You & I, Close to the Edge, and Parallels, that expanded my view of the kinds of places music could travel. Even Tormato - definitely not their most heart-felt effort - had some interesting things going on.

Howe was my #1 fave guitarist for many years.

My first Yes gig was at Hershey Park Arena on March 1st 1974, the Tales From Topographic tour. I went with a buddy and we were both somewhat, er, let's just say chemically enhanced, but boy what a show. The quadrophonic sound was mind-blowing. Ritual was effing amazing!! I actually smuggled in a cassette recorder and taped it but have long since lost the tape. Or I lent it to someone and they never returned it. I forget. Anyway there is actually a bootleg of that show available from some vendor, I bought it. Strange... it sounds kinda like my old tape...:grinning:

They were my favorite band for years, never missed a show (I lived in Philly until 1989 and then moved to California) up into the 90s, when they sort of fell apart. I saw the Union tour and tbh Rabin blew Howe off the stage IMHO, which sort of PO'd me at the time, but since then have come to really respect Mr. Rabin. I saw them last in 2002, was a good show, entire "original" (with Howe & Wakeman) band, no Rabin/Downes/Banks. Howe was kind of... stiff, is the word I guess. Then, after they booted Anderson from the band, I kind of lost interest in them after that.

I really want to go see ARW, if and whenever they resurface.

As an aside... an ex-pat Brit drummer buddy of mine took his son to LA to see Asia back in early '00s, I think. They walked into the arena for the soundcheck I have no idea how they managed to get in there) and briefly conversed with the band, and when Asia discovered he was a Brit they invited him and his son to join them for dinner. He and his son had a great time, he said they were all great guys... except for Howe, who was not at all friendly and uncommunicative, "no personality" in his words.

I saw the Union tour and tbh Rabin blew Howe off the stage IMHO, which sort of PO'd me at the time, but since then have come to really respect Mr. Rabin.
I also saw the Union show. It was in the round, and I recall Rabin took some of Howe's solos, but not the other way around. Steve seemed like he hadn't been keeping his chops up to me on the stuff he did play. Wakeman had 8 keyboards to Tony Kaye's 1, and took an awesome solo. Kaye didn't. Great show.

I also saw the Union show. It was in the round, and I recall Rabin took some of Howe's solos, but not the other way around. Steve seemed like he hadn't been keeping his chops up to me on the stuff he did play. Wakeman had 8 keyboards to Tony Kaye's 1, and took an awesome solo. Kaye didn't. Great show.
Yeah, Wakeman was awesome! I saw it in the round in Oakland.

Hate to say it, but on Yours Is No Disgrace Rabin just pretty much kicked Howe to the curb, Steve looked a little bit embarrassed after Trevor's solo, it was a bit cringe-inducing... starting at about 9:03...

Yeah, Wakeman was awesome! I saw it in the round in Oakland.

Hate to say it, but on Yours Is No Disgrace Rabin just pretty much kicked Howe to the curb, Steve looked a little bit embarrassed after Trevor's solo, it was a bit cringe-inducing... starting at about 9:03...

I think Howe is a great writer, and I love all eras of Yes through the 90s. I stopped trying their stuff in this century, but I need to give it a try. I love Trevor Rabin as a player, and for the longest time I didn't know he's the singer on Changes, one of their most badass songs! I don't think Steve Howe ever changed from the beginning of their career; he's an odd one.

yes
i like the concert with trevor rabin live at the apollo . rabin plays the parts with much more feeling than howe (my opinion)

watch it and tell me
saw them in zurich

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans - 1974-04-21 - Swiss Tales - Zürich couple of years ago :) best concert ever (with howe though)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom