Any word on the FM3 getting the Axe III's Pitch Block?

Just thought I’d chuck in a +1 for a fractal floor unit with less compromises.
Original axefx2 owners here and still going strong. I’m using it for home recording and having rack gear is a pain. It’s on the side of my desk and every time I need to use the front panel it’s just awkward. The FM3 is the obvious purchase but I don’t want to skimp on things like tone match. I’m waiting for a smaller form factor unit that’s got more power than the FM3 😎. Really can’t wait to try all the new stuff out.

I suspect this is a bit like the learning style issue in education.

I find the Fractal on-device interface to be intuitive and quite good. I have (and like) the Line6 HX Stomp as a grab-n-go and backup device, but I rather dislike the interface in comparison to the FM3. Then, if you factor in the computer editors, I'd say that Fractal is waaaaay ahead in UI design and functionality.

Also, Fractal's grid absolutely kills the weird 'dual path by CPU' approach in the Helix.

I'm not saying you're wrong....for you. Just pointing out that not everyone is on the same page.
The HX Stomp UI does not do it for me either. Too small screen, too few knobs. The full Helix is better, which is why it annoys me that there is no "mini Helix" similar to the FM3. Well, the QC is basically that which is why I own one.

I agree the dual paths thing is confusing but with the benefit that there's no reserved DSP like on Fractal so if you want to ditch amp modeling and use fx only, you have more DSP to do so.

FM3-Edit is great for sure, but it has the same issue as I had with the Axe-Fx 2 where if you don't have a computer ready to hook up then it's going to be a bit annoying to edit from FM3 alone, let alone create presets. You can live with it but I don't have that issue with QC or Helix and I use even Helix almost completely from the hardware itself.

It wouldn't take a lot of effort from Fractal to improve these aspects so I hope they do. Just improve small things here and there. Build a better home view that you can actually read with the device on the floor.

Build a better home view that you can actually read with the device on the floor.
Now there's something I can agree with 100%. Readability is not good from a standing position if you have older eyes....hence the repeated request for inverting the mini-displays and a geezer mode for the main screen. 🤣

I’m waiting for a smaller form factor unit that’s got more power than the FM3
I fear that this is literally years in the future, though. I was initially disappointed in the FM3 - I got mine back around this time last year but sold it immediately once I realized it wasn't a full-fledged Axe III in a FC6 chassis.

I had high hopes for the Quad Cortex, but alas, this wasn't the answer. I can live with the fewer blocks and some missing features (like, I've never used the Tone Match), but I NEED the Virtual Capo.

I'm honestly thinking about just biting the bullet and seeing if I can actually live with the FM3's pitch block as-is. I suspect if I really couldn't use it, I could always grab a Drop pedal.

Yeah dude, I cancelled my Cortex order last week cause I was hearing too many stories of it not living up to the insane hype (i don't think anything could) and ordered the FM3. Got the FM3 2 days ago. No ragrets! I still have my axe fx II that I love but will be using the fm3 for my cover band stuff. I will revisit the Cortex after it matures a little as I'm sure a lot of us will.

Yeah dude, I cancelled my Cortex order last week cause I was hearing too many stories of it not living up to the insane hype (i don't think anything could) and ordered the FM3. Got the FM3 2 days ago. No ragrets! I still have my axe fx II that I love but will be using the fm3 for my cover band stuff. I will revisit the Cortex after it matures a little as I'm sure a lot of us will.
Coming from an Axe2, is the FM3 noticeably better creating a tone from scratch? Or is it pretty similar with a marginal upgrade?

I'm happy to sit and wait for an inevitable new model but I'm also getting the itch to try something new if it's REALLY worth it.

Coming from an Axe2, is the FM3 noticeably better creating a tone from scratch? Or is it pretty similar with a marginal upgrade?

I'm happy to sit and wait for an inevitable new model but I'm also getting the itch to try something new if it's REALLY worth it.
I always found the it easy to create a tone from scratch with the editor because the models were so good. I've never created a preset from scratch on the Axe II (just get overwhelmed by the interface). I've used the editor on the FM3 but I feel a lot more comfortable using the physical interface on the FM3. Imo, the FM3 is easily 20% better than the Axe II just in the sound category alone. I have run into a real problem with the FM3 and that is now I want an Axe III. I like my Axe II but I could sell it and buy an Axe III, lol. I'm honestly very happy with my purchase.

So, I was reviewing this thread from about a year ago. It says the Virtual Capo only takes about 7% DSP - if this is the case, porting the Axe III's algorithm shouldn't take up so much DSP that it makes it untenable, right? I feel like even double would still be viable... Of course, I know nothing about how this all works.

I worked with porting some of my presets from my Axe III over last night and, while the VC is still worse in terms of latency, I think I'll probably be able to still use it. Luckily I'm just the rhythm guitarist, and I don't have to do anything terribly precise. I guess I can practice to the metronome to get the feel for how the latency affects my timing.

Fingers still crossed that it gets ported over.

Can someone explain what the "improved pitch block" has that FM3's pitch block doesn't? It has been good enough for my use in band rehearsals but I really don't know what else there could be.

Can someone explain what the "improved pitch block" has that FM3's pitch block doesn't? It has been good enough for my use in band rehearsals but I really don't know what else there could be.
It's got significantly better tracking and about half the latency. If you are satisfied with the FM3's, then more power to you. I hated the original pitch shifter and all I've wanted for the last year was for the improved one to come to the FM3. I'm SUPER sensitive to latency. I made a video on YouTube where I compare the latency of a bunch of top products; it was inspired by an argument I was having with the creator of the Line 6 Variax technology: He claimed the variax has ZERO latency - not just LOW latency, but ZERO - and I called BS because I can feel it and objectively measure it, but he has been unwavering in his convictions that there is none. It's a load of bull, but I have to say; the Variax has about the BEST latency of any device out there. Even the Digitech Drop isn't as good.

But I need the pitch shifter on the FM3 to get updated because I have most of my set automated via MIDI, so I don't want to risk forgetting to downtune or uptune based on the song, so all pitch shifting bypass & shift is automatic when I pull up a song on my iPad.

In case anyone is interested, here's the video:

One thing to note, though, is to disregard the H9 test; I realized I messed up in my test. See the comment section. the short version is that it wasn't a fair test; not only is the H9 NOT a poly pitch shifter, I had it on the wrong settings.

But overall, the video gives you a good idea of how the gear stacks up and helped me put numbers to what I knew I could feel.

It's better but you will still have a far better time using Axe-Edit/FM3-Edit. It actually takes a few steps back from the Axe-Fx 2 in a couple of places, namely no dedicated layout button and no X/Y shortcuts to quickly go to amp or cab block.

But putting the knobs under the screen makes it a lot more pleasant to use as does the larger color screen. "Better, but still not great" is how I would sum up the FM3 hardware UI experience. But I am probably its strongest critic so take that with a grain of salt.

The experience when using Axe-Edit is almost identical. I was a few years away from Fractal and had no problems jumping right back in.

It's better but you will still have a far better time using Axe-Edit/FM3-Edit. It actually takes a few steps back from the Axe-Fx 2 in a couple of places, namely no dedicated layout button and no X/Y shortcuts to quickly go to amp or cab block.

But putting the knobs under the screen makes it a lot more pleasant to use as does the larger color screen. "Better, but still not great" is how I would sum up the FM3 hardware UI experience. But I am probably its strongest critic so take that with a grain of salt.

The experience when using Axe-Edit is almost identical. I was a few years away from Fractal and had no problems jumping right back in.
Agreed, I just started learning how to get around not having X/Y last night. I'm using different Channels to switch to a different amp on another Scene. Seems like the way it's supposed to be used.
The FM3 physical interface is a lot better than the Axe II but it's not Helix Floor level nice. Helix really set a bar with that interface.

I literally only use the axefx2 front panel for Global/IO settings because they’re not available in axe edit 😂.
On the FM3 I’d be dialing everything in through axe edit and just adjusting small values on the fly like overdrive gain or basic bass/mid/treble. I’ve been watching a ton of videos on the quad cortex and I gotta say that their UI with the hardware/software integration is the best in any unit I’ve ever seen. Hopefully it can serve as some inspiration for a future fractal floor model 😀. Some things are done well with a touch screen and some things are done better with buttons and rotary knobs, it really is a well thought out device in terms of UI

I can picture a similar experience with a Fractal floor model if there was a touch screen to navigate the effects chain etc etc

The FM3 one is good if using distortion, but Clean or Edge of Breakup it gets warbly or kinda chorus-ish, fine if you want Chorus and/or mask with some Chorus... the AxeFX III is allegedly much better, but I have no personal experience there. The Line6 one is much better all around which is why my rig looks like this right now
FM3b.jpg
FM3d.jpg

Has anyone from Fractal commented if this is even possible or in the works (same pitch block as the III)?

But there is Good News. According to Cliff the Pitch Detection from the AxeFX III has been figured out, which he stated was the "Hard Part"
I don't have the Patience to go find the actual post... time management...

Back
Top Bottom