Any word on an update for the AX8?

Hello
My 2 cents if I think as a salesman !!
If the AX8 get the same Ares update as the Axe FX 2, how many Ax8 owner will not buy the FM3 quickly to get the Ares feeling which is one of the key selling point of the FM3 ?

To me the primary selling point is the updated user interface and the much more flexible (albeit limited) footswitch layout.

I would (and will not) buy an FM3. It doesn't have what I need a live unit to have, regardless of its firmware.
Honestly, if FAS released a final firmware for the AX8 that had no bugs and was formidably stable, I'd be a happy camper. I'm not unhappy with 10.0, mind you, but it'd be a logical closure for a product line.

I'm also with you @Smittefar & @Josetxu on thinking that the AX8 hasn't seen it's true potential being displaced by the development of the rack units. Of course there's nothing to blame as they're FAS's flagship products, but somehow, the feeling of abandonment for the floor platforms (specially the FX8) has been quite some for many months, dare to say, more than a year.

The AX8 is my first FAS product and I LOVE it (hell, I even consider it better looking than the FM3, lol), I got it new loaded with FW 5.0 and enjoyed every single FW update with new amps, effects and epiphanies Cliff, Joe Rogers & Co. had given to us. Also inmediately understood what the AX8 IS and what it IS NOT compared to the Axe Fx II and had to work around many solutions for things like DI recording and re-amping, etc...

As I found myself doing more and more studio work I really considered going full Axe FX II, then they announced the III and now I'm saving for it, it's really just a matter of 'when' I'll get the funds but sure thing FAS has my trust when it comes to the flagship units.

By saying this I want to point out that someone asked Cliff this: "Do you think the FM3 can handle all future amp modeling epiphanies with enough power under the hood? Just wondering if you may ever hit a wall where you can only further the modeling on the 3 and not this? Thanks"

The FM3 is not as powerful as an Axe-Fx III. The Axe-Fx III has at least four times the processing power. You can infer what you want from that.

I considered selling my AX8 for the FM3, but reading Cliff's response left me with the sensation that the FM3 is going the same direction as the AX8 in terms of future development, moreso given that the breach between the AFXIII and the FM3 in raw processing power is now greater than it was between AX8 and AFXII.

So, for me: If Cliff and Co decides to port ARES to the AX8 I'll be extremely happy and grateful, but even if they didn't I'm not planning on 'upgrade' to the FM3 in the 'near' future (I just prefer to wait and see how it performs in hands of our trusty forumites), just solely on the fact that I'm going for an AXE FX III.

Last edited:
I dont know people complain about the updates but the AX8 had already
Benefitted from the AX2 developments prior to its release

Even still it went from 1.0 to 10.1 in 2 years so 10 full updates

L6 in comparision is on 2.7

BTW, it just hit me... Cliff said that the FM3 Firmware is still in Beta. Something tells me that if the AX8 ever gets one last FW update that includes some or most of the ARES port, it's gonna be based off the FM3's FW as it already discriminates for things the lesser powered DSPs can't run.

Totally my point. I think it is time to be content with what I have. I do not need any new amp models. The only thing I care about at all is seamless amp switching and the potential for even closer authenticity. But really is the ares modeling enough better to justify an upgrade. Maybe by time the next model comes in another 5 years.

The thing is, you aren't forced to apply any update...

And just because an updated unit comes out doesn't make the one you own stop working. You can continue using it and be happy.

So my feelings after this are:
- There are two classes of clients for Factal, the ones that can afford the flagship and the ones that buys some of the "second class" units. Not really nice for me as a client, if you ask me. Cliff, or somebody from the company could even came to this AX8 subforum and say something like "We are working in a new firmware for the AX8, but it will take some time as FM3 are taking almost all our production time" or "We're sorry but there won't be more updates to the AX8 as we consider it a obsolete product now and we don't have the time to update it/it doesn't have enough power/whatever reason...". But this silence and lack of comunication only makes me (and I think more people too) increase the feeling that we are second class clients to them and they even don't bother about us to have this gesture.

Ive never gotten the feeling we were 2nd class. My guess is the silence has more to do with they have to see whats possible since the firmware is hard to upgrade apparently (according to that Gear Page post by Cliff). By not saying much they arent committing either way. It does frustrate some perhaps, but really isnt the AX8 ok as is? More firmware would just be icing on an already delicious cake.

One thing that came to my mind is what the future of AX8-Edit will look like. Even if the AX8 and its firmware support have long ended I would want to be able to use the editor to work on my presets. Will FAS port the editor to new operating systems coming or maybe publish the interface spec so the community could take care of it ?

Hello
My 2 cents if I think as a salesman !!
If the AX8 get the same Ares update as the Axe FX 2, how many Ax8 owner will not buy the FM3 quickly to get the Ares feeling which is one of the key selling point of the FM3 ?
This thinking has never been the Fractal way from what I've seen.

Those who are up in arms about the AX8 not receiving any updates since purchasing them recently need to go back through the history of the product. MANY firmware updates have been added since its release. Sorry for your "bad" timing, but to say that Fractal has "failed" simply because you haven't personally been a part of those updates does not mean Fractal has dropped the ball. They have gone above and beyond with every product I've purchased from them.

yet, the only 'official' word on the AX8 from Cliff (albeit, made over the TGP forums) was that it is "a nightmare to program and port firmwares to since the engineer responsible for it no longer works at FAS"

Frankly I was very surprised to read that, and that FAS has found itself in that position. Very unfortunate for all concerned...

But, I'm not going to lie, I will really be bummed if the latest Ares modelling for the II platform can't/won't be ported to the AX8.

While I gig with the AX8 (and like it immensely) I very much prefer to practice/play/jam with the II/Ares 1.03 and feel like I'm missing a 'big something' when I play the AX8. But the form factor/usability/portability of the AX8 just rocks for live use...

The final Ares modelling in the II is addictive and where I want to be. I'd consider going back to the II rack/MFC if it doesn't arrive on the AX8 (for whatever reason). I find Ares that much better, but am not in currently in a position to get into the III/FC next-gen stuff nor will be for a while...

It goes without saying that if Cliff/FAS can take the time to sort out the code mess, and if the AX8 hardware can support 1.03, an Ares port would be beyond awesome and appreciated to no end. If it was the last update (like the II) I couldn't imagine a better way to end-of-life the platform.

Last edited:
BTW, it just hit me... Cliff said that the FM3 Firmware is still in Beta. Something tells me that if the AX8 ever gets one last FW update that includes some or most of the ARES port, it's gonna be based off the FM3's FW as it already discriminates for things the lesser powered DSPs can't run.

I highly doubt the AX8 gets anymore updates. All things seems to indicate it's likely done...

Yeah......I missed that video as well.

Pretty snappy NO to continued support for AX8. Was this a Fractal employee ?

Yeah......I missed that video as well.

Pretty snappy NO to continued support for AX8. Was this a Fractal employee ?
Guys are pretty touchy around here - "snappy NO"? Didn't get that from his response at all. Just a matter of fact "...it's going to be a replacement for the AX8".

Back
Top Bottom