Any word of a new AX8?

I hope not. I own a FC6, a FC12, and an AX8. While the FC6 is indeed a very powerful unit for a 6 button unit, I found it to be quite limiting compared to the 11 button AX8. There was a lot more pedal dancing required to make Axe FX III do the same things that I do with an AX8. Something like a FC12 would be more than equal to the task.

Maybe thats the platform for the mini Fractal?

Cliff had mentioned a while ago that nothing replaces the AX8, so I'm guessing something small light and portable, like an AX4, that's what most people (myself included) seem to want.

Or maybe something weird like a stompbox that just has an amp and cab in it, and you plug in all your pedals through the input and FX loop...that would sell like CRAZY

Cliff had mentioned a while ago that nothing replaces the AX8, so I'm guessing something small light and portable, like an AX4, that's what most people (myself included) seem to want.

Or maybe something weird like a stompbox that just has an amp and cab in it, and you plug in all your pedals through the input and FX loop...that would sell like CRAZY

I could totally do Amp/cab verb 4
Switches tap/hold that would be killer

Here is my two cents..... The AX8 was an innovating first generation groundbreaking product. When it first came out we were all in awe of the capabilities and power it possessed, and we still are!!! BUT, just like any first generation product, once the general masses get their hands on it, as a manufacturer you can begin to see the shortcomings of your original design. Also, your marketplace will always point out to you the issues they see and what they would love to see improved. Cliff has done everything right with the AX8 and has provided countless updates to keep the product relevant today, but that is not to say in this marketplace that the AX8 is perfect. I see several considerations that Cliff has probably thought about recently that may actually mean there is a product coming our way.....
1. With the introduction of the AXEIII, he now has two COMPLETELY different firmware lines to deal with. It was a massive undertaking when it was the AXE2, but now I am sure that somewhere in his mind he is thinking it would be awesome to just port one singular firmware across all of his products and use his spare time to do something else.
2. I don't think form factor should matter to anyone, because it will be what it will be. The more important issues will be updating the dated design of the AX8 in terms of its display, which is completely inadequate for the power of the unit and the omission of a headphone jack... which in the consumer driver world of guitar processors is a complete headscratcher to me...….. and a general modernization of the package. Helix, Headrush and Kemper are all taking it to Fractal in this arena and I am sure that he will address this with a new product.
3. Everybody wants to share their thoughts and wishes as to what they would create as the best New version of the AX8. No matter what all of us wish or want, Cliff is going to look at his design, consider what everyone has said over the last 3 years and come out with what he considers to be the new reigning champion of floorboards. He is the expert and it is his company. He has done us right with every new release and firmware update. Whatever form factor it is, we will put up our hard earned money and be on board. Short, long, small, large.... it won't matter. It will be more powerful, it will be cool looking, it will do an amazing job and we will still bitch. He knows this so everyone needs to just be excited even if it is one year out.
4. 3 years is a lifetime in the guitar industry.... the latest and great always prevail. Anticipation will always be your best marketing tool. Cliff knows this and is the king of the concept. Rest well my friends knowing that something is coming.

Finally, this is just my opinion. I have been working for one of the largest successful companies on the globe. I love all of this banter and find it exhilarating to see everyone's opinions and I mean everything I say and much respect to Cliff, the community, this forum and my friends within. I hope you all have a great day and enjoy the read.

Last edited:
I think i missed this statement. When / where did Cliff mention this?

Thanks!
Don't know where but it probably happened long time ago, more than a year for sure. As time passes we can consider less and less true this kind of statements, if history teaches us something..

Hmm. Spit balling here... But I wonder if a next gen floor unit would make sense as a stand alone box to which you attach an FC6 or 12? The box could attach directly to the FC6/12 via the FASlink ports. The guitar would run straight into the black box. Maybe have the amp style knobs on the box. A screen for on the fly preset work. Standard AX8 idea stuff there, but maybe with a contemporary FAS look.
Presets though... maybe you could build dedicated presets for the fc6 vs 12. Or maybe hooking up the 6 would just disable the 7-12 buttons on the preset. Or hold to get to them. Or, more likely, selectable.
It would be a good way to push sales of the FCs. It would keep design consistent and no new foot controlled unit would need to be designed. It would also give some flexibility on setup (don't have much depth at your feet? Set the box next to the FC instead of behind it!). Would likely keep the price down on the actual modeller as well, though adding the FC would put it in the proper ballpark. Of course, those of us who need a 6 AND a 12 will end up paying more... But we'd have all kinds of flexibility!!

OK. Just killing some time playing with my design theories. Which, btw, have never won any awards.

2. I don't think form factor should matter to anyone, because it will be what it will be. The more important issues will be updating the dated design of the AX8 in terms of its display, which is completely inadequate for the power of the unit and the omission of a headphone jack... which in the consumer driver world of guitar processors is a complete headscratcher to me...….. and a general modernization of the package. Helix, Headrush and Kemper are all taking it to Fractal in this arena and I am sure that he will address this with a new product.

If I recall correctly, Cliff once said that If he incorporated more of those elements (Color/touch display, USB audio, scribble strips, headphone jack, etc...) the AX8 would be much more expensive. It's not valid to say that Helix, Headrush, even the new Hotone's & Mooer's pedalboards they all have all or most of those elements as comparison, remember the AX8 has much more expensive audio components and cuts had to be made in order to keep a competitive price, prioritizing audio quality.

Honestly, I don't think the general consumer target for Fractal is more on 'looks' and 'how modern the package is' as much as is into how better it sounds apart from the other modellers (neither are IMO the guys from the Kemper camp, the thing is absolutely fugly but I recognize it sounds awesome), of course the new FC's looks amazing but if having all the bells and whistles means putting the next generation AX right next to AXE FX III in terms of price, well, then I'd rather get the III.

Last edited:
We have several exciting products coming out soon but none replace the AX-8. The AX-8 is still a relatively young product.

This was the message. You are correct, it was made over a year ago, and things may have changed by now. I had read it in the thread (yeah, I'm one of the few who actually reads the thread) earlier this year when I started back lurking around on the forum, but I didn't realize it was a somewhat old post.

This was the thread, in context:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ere-could-be-a-mkii-soon.131461/#post-1556379

Still, I'm guessing that his statement holds fairly true - we have had the 3 and FCs, and now the mystery product, which likely is an AX4 or something...(pure speculation), which indeed will not replace the AX8, but will provide an option for most people who want FAS quality in something tiny.

Don't know where but it probably happened long time ago, more than a year for sure. As time passes we can consider less and less true this kind of statements, if history teaches us something..

If I recall correctly, Cliff once said that If he incorporated more of those elements (Color/touch display, USB audio, scribble strips, headphone jack, etc...) the AX8 would be much more expensive. It's not valid to say that Helix, Headrush, even the new Hotone's & Mooer's pedalboards they all have all or most of those elements as comparison, remember the AX8 has much more expensive audio components and cuts had to be made in order to keep a competitive price, prioritizing audio quality.

Honestly, I don't think the general consumer target for Fractal is more on 'looks' and 'how modern the package is' as much as is into how better it sounds apart from the other modellers (neither are IMO the guys from the Kemper camp, the thing is absolutely fugly but I recognize it sounds awesome), of course the new FC's looks amazing but if having all the bells and whistles means putting the next generation AX right next to AXE FX III in terms of price, well, then I'd rather get the III.

I completely agree.... But in order to stay relatively competitive Cliff will have to yield at least a little, or at least that is how I see it. All of the competition have better displays, headphone jacks and easy UI. I am not dissing the quality of the AX8 but it is not reasonable to say that all of those things don't have to be great because the audio is outstanding. Cost VS features is important but look at the AXEIII. You have to deal with the 'bells and whistles as well.

Last edited:
I'm always worried about fancy LCD displays on stage use seeing the background singers and high heels. Rather have something robust that will last for 500+ gigs for a display, as long as I could se one row of text. Same with touch screen, I could live without it.

I'm always worried about fancy LCD displays on stage use seeing the background singers and high heels. Rather have something robust that will last for 500+ gigs for a display, as long as I could se one row of text. Same with touch screen, I could live without it.

The Ax8 screen is fine with me

Certainly wouldn't mind a few more bells and whistles but not at the sacrifice of tones

Honestly, I don't think the general consumer target for Fractal is more on 'looks' and 'how modern the package is' as much as is into how better it sounds apart from the other modellers......
I feel the same way. I went with the AX8 because sound quality was the first priority. The other guitarist I play with has a Helix, and while I actually think the Helix is a fine unit, it is more expensive, it is considerably bulkier, and it is A LOT heavier than the AX8. That lovely display screen on the Helix adds considerably to the power demands, which seems to add heat to the unit as well. The AX8 just seemed like a better fit - in many ways -- for my needs.

It would make me feel a little disappointed to see my AX8 eclipsed by a newer model, but such is ultimately inevitable. As long as I can use this (current version) AX8 effectively, I don't really see myself needing to upgrade.

...... and now the mystery product ......

^^^ ??? is this speculation or an officially "known-unknown" future product (?)

And re: the AX8 ........

Isn't it more of a question of (a) will it get any further Quantum FW updates at all and/or (b) will / can it run any part of the Ares architecture (?)

Fwiw ...... my guesstimate for (a) maybe ... and ... for (b) probably no ..... but I have no inside-info :)

I know that for many 7 months since the last FW is unusually long for a Fractal product but (i) they are not a huge operation and (ii) the Axe 3 and FC's have probably eaten up a lot / most of their time ... and Cliff did partially " Ares-ize " the Axe 2 as well before is went [officially] e.o.l so its not like they havent been hyper-busy.

Ben

Last edited:

Isn't it more of a question of (a) will it get any further Quantum FW updates at all and/or (b) will / can it run any part of the Ares architecture (?)

There is no secret, AX8 v10 already runs some parts of Ares. From the release notes:
"AX8 version 10.00 incorporates some of the “Ares” modeling from the Axe-Fx III. "

^^^ ??? is this speculation or an officially "known-unknown" future product (?)

Fwiw ...... my guesstimate for (a) maybe ... and ... for (b) probably no ..... but I have no inside-info :)

I know that for many 7 months since the last FW is unusually long for a Fractal product but (i) they are not a huge operation and (ii) the Axe 3 and FC's have probably eaten up a lot / most of their time ... and Cliff did partially " Ares-ize " the Axe 2 as well before is went [officially] e.o.l so its not like they havent been hyper-busy.

Ben

I think a lot of people have the same questions
The goood news is it looks like maybe we will have some of the answers in a couple of weeks

I think a lot of people have the same questions
The goood news is it looks like maybe we will have some of the answers in a couple of weeks

I hope so. I moved back to England recently after living in America for many years, and a 100W stack is no longer a good plan for home use so I need to look into modelling - and Fractal gear seems like a reasonable way to go. I can afford one of the more expensive rack units if need be, but I'd far rather get a successor to the AX8 for a lot less if it does what I'm after.

Back
Top Bottom