Any wireless users out there?

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
I have a decent shure wireless setup and wondering if I should use it with the AF3 or not. Anyone have or had issues using a wireless and the AF3?

I know that cables are the preferred method for less signal loss and I have some monster cables normally.

Thoughts?

I use a Shure wireless. Not only have I never had any problems, but It's never even occurred to me that there could ever be any problems.

Shure user here and it’s flawless - never even think about it and love the lack of cables on stage!

I also use a Shure with my AF3 and it's been awesome. If you have a system that allows you to adjust gain, just be mindful of that. I inadvertently had WAY too much gain enabled on the wireless for my pickups which caused excessive feedback.

I've used one of two different Line 6 units (G-30, which was replaced by a G-90) at every gig since I got my first AFX II. No issues whatsoever. I only use a cable when practicing at home.

I’ve used a G90 without problems. The tech people I work with feel that it actually sounds better than a 10 foot cable.

Used a G90 for years and replaced it with a Senn D1 about 18 months ago.
Never had an issue with either one.

I've gone wireless frequently during the nine years that I've used Fractal gear. No issues. As @iaresee said, you'll lose the ability to make use of the Axe's variable input impedance, but that's something I use almost never.

I know that cables are the preferred method for less signal loss...
?

I know that cables are the preferred method for less signal loss and I have some monster cables normally.

Generally speaking cables lose some signal. The longer the cable, the higher the loss (in terms of high frequencies, because of cable capacitance). Wireless systems act like buffers, so there is less signal loss. If you are talking about wireless signal transmission reliability, that really depends on the quality of the system.

FreeMind said:
"Why do you think a wireless could cause any problems with/for the Axe FX, but not the gear you originally bought the wireless for?"
That's the major question indeed.

If your wireless gear itself is working well it will certainly work well with the AXE FXIII, too.

I use 2 Sets of StageClix 5.8 GHz regularly for 2 guitars into 2 Inputs of AXE FXIII.

Pros:
  • digital transmitter and receiver, so no audible loss at all IMO
  • works in 5.8 GHz range
  • small transmitter, fits directly into the jack of the guitars, so no struggle with cables between guitar and transmitter
  • good handling, especially switching the transmitter on / off when changing guitars is easy
  • very easy matching transmitters and receivers "on the fly" , even if you change transmitter and corresponding receiver (erratically or deliberately)​
Cons:​
  • none
Everything is working fine, no problems at all.

So, please, feel encouraged to use your wireless gear. You won't regret.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I have been using hardwire for years and my wireless has been on the shelf for quite a few years. I am gonna hook this up and give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom