Any way to eliminate the long attack on the v. 7.15 gate?

MrMunky

As much as I appreciate the lack of chatter, the attack on the gate in v. 7.15 is slow enough to create an auto-swell type effect each time the gate engages.

Does anyone know how to restore the attack time on the gate to the speed at which it operated in 7.13/earlier?

I noticed the same thing. I never really noticed the gate that much before this update, now it's annoying me unfortunately. I have not updated to the new presets b/c I have customized a lot of mine...could that have anything to do with it?

MrMunky said:
As much as I appreciate the lack of chatter, the attack on the gate in v. 7.15 is slow enough to create an auto-swell type effect each time the gate engages.

Does anyone know how to restore the attack time on the gate to the speed at which it operated in 7.13/earlier?

Do you mean release? Release is how quickly the noise gate clamps down after the threshold has been reached . Attack is how quickly it lets the sound back. or are you talking about that? I think the hold time is what may have been changed to reduce the chatter.

I could imagine that's the way to get rid of the flutter, increasing the attack time.

I haven't uploaded 7.15 to my Axe yet, though.

Not so urgent for me as I also have some important gigs coming up...

javajunkie said:
MrMunky said:

Do you mean release? Release is how quickly the noise gate clamps down after the threshold has been reached . Attack is how quickly it lets the sound back. or are you talking about that? I think the hold time is what may have been changed to reduce the chatter.

Under the nomenclature you have described, my question relates to the attack. I probably used the word "engages" imprecisely or wrongly in my initial post. I will describe the matter about which I ask differently and try to avoid any semantic ambiguity.

I can hear two notable differences between firmware v. 7.15 and firmware v. 7.13 with respect to the gate: 1) when the gate is active in version 7.15, a detectable amount of time passes between the moment that I strike a note and the moment that the Axe-FX reproduces that note at its full level (the level at which the Axe-FX reproduces the note with the gate turned off); and 2) during that time, the level of the note gradually increases.

The aural effect of the combination of these two differences is similar to the effect of a volume-swell effect, like what you'll hear guitar players do with the volume knob on their guitar, or an envelope-controlled volume effect, or a volume pedal.

I certainly understand how the slower attack would reduce chatter, but it significantly changes the musical function of the instrument. In many contexts I would prefer the ordinary attack that I associate with an electric guitar + amp combination, even if it means more chatter from the noise gate.

So, if you, or anyone else knows how I might continue to use the noise gate but speed up the attack to pre-7.13 speeds, I would be grateful if you would tell me how to do it.

Otherwise I can dig the ol' ISP Noise Decimator out of storage. :mrgreen:

A change in attack time would cause a volume swell type effect. I'm going to move this to the general forum because this relates to the standard as well.

Man I feel sorry for Cliff.....he tries to improve the Axe to accomodate people.... but it seems there never fails to have someone not like the new algorithm.

I am not trying to b*tch about the posters...just making an observation.

gittarzann said:
Man I feel sorry for Cliff.....he tries to improve the Axe to accomodate people.... but it seems there never fails to have someone not like the new algorithm.

I have not tested this (because I don't use gate usually) but I'm sure it's fine with Cliff.
Sometimes you have a good idea but it screws up something else.
Cliff introduced several things just to roll back later on.
It's all good and positive.

;)

AndrewSimon said:
gittarzann said:

I have not tested this (because I don't use gate usually) but I'm sure it's fine with Cliff.
Sometimes you have a good idea but it screws up something else.
Cliff introduced several things just to roll back later on.
It's all good and positive.

;)
+1

Things can get tested during a release and if it's not really an improvement but rather a step back it's good that users speak out.

Yeah, I just loaded 7.15, and I'm sorry to say the gate has become unusable (for me). Might have to revert back to 7.13, or stop using the gate completely...

Daniel

Is this referring to the gate that can be inserted as a block or the gate present on every preset (page three of the LAYOUT)?

Kevin

Yeah, the noise gate now acts weird when i roll back the volume on my guitar. A kind of volume swell effect. I can minimize this though by turning the ratio knob to a small setting.

Unsuable for me,
Not for attack, but for decay. Trying to adjust ratio, release. Nothing to do.
Too much brutal or too slow. I can't find the same effect than before.

Downgraded to 7.13 :(

I'll stay on 7.13 a while.

But I certainly would not want a global Noise gate, the value of having it per patch is that you can set it optimally for each one, then very high gain patches can have a high Noise gate setting and low gain/clean have low settings. etc.

Cliff, please don't make it global.

SparkyG said:

But I certainly would not want a global Noise gate, the value of having it per patch is that you can set it optimally for each one, then very high gain patches can have a high Noise gate setting and low gain/clean have low settings. etc.

+10

javajunkie said:
KG MD said:
Is this referring to the gate that can be inserted as a block or the gate present on every preset (page three of the LAYOUT)?

Kevin

Page 3 of layout.
Maybe that's the issue I'm now having. I didn't realize there are two gates! Is there a way to adjust the "Layout" gate with the editor? Why do we need two gates?

vondano said:
SparkyG said:

+10

+100 on not making it global

Cliff, despite the occasional snafu that ANYONE would experience when experimenting and attempting to make improvements on something, the changes you make overall are mostly FABULOUS. Thanks for the continuing efforts to get this right. Your dedication and willing to consider user feedback have earned you much respect, appreciation, and (what I'm sure could be) lifetime loyalty from many customers.

Back
Top Bottom