Any way to connect two MFC's in Series or Parallel?

rickbarclay

Inspired
Can this be done? I love the MFC but it's woefully inadequate for my needs. Bandwidth hasn't been a problem
on my computer, so I think it could handle the added load.

CPU usage.

My largest preset gobbles up maybe 81%. I'd like to add another MFC 101 in order to add more blocks, which I can't do with just one device since there aren't enough buttons to include all the blocks.

Been waiting for an "expansion board" for the MFC since I got mine for similar reasons as the OP.
There used to be some chatter about this in the past. Would love it if FAS decides to pull a product like
this out of the proverbial hat.

maybe it's time for something like the RJM MMGT with multiple pages so all buttons can do multiple things.

Mastermind GT MIDI Controller by RJM Music Technology, Inc.

+1. I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal to replace my MFC + FCB1010 + 4xFS-5U's + my custom node.js MIDI multiplexer.

I still haven't decided between the 16 and the 22. It'll probably be the 22.

I also remember early on hearing or reading something about the ethernet port in the MFC doubling as an "expansion" port for a sidecar MFC. In fact, mine says "Expansion" on the port. This was years ago though. Times and and I suspect priorities have certainly changed...

Why would you need more than 17 buttons?

If you are asking me this question, it is due to my live looping workflow.

I control 8 Live loopers with my FCB, as well as some custom M4L patches. All my MIDI is routed to a multiplexer I built using Node to handle the MIDI implementation limitations in Ableton Live. The FCB, plus the MFC for the Axe and the 4 FSU's hanging off of it is a bit of a monstrosity.

It would be nice to consolidate the setup down to a single unit.

If you are asking me this question, it is due to my live looping workflow.

I control 8 Live loopers with my FCB, as well as some custom M4L patches. All my MIDI is routed to a multiplexer I built using Node to handle the MIDI implementation limitations in Ableton Live. The FCB, plus the MFC for the Axe and the 4 FSU's hanging off of it is a bit of a monstrosity.

It would be nice to consolidate the setup down to a single unit.

with that new information, i highly, HIGHLY recommend the MMGT 22. i have the 16 and i control the Axe, x32 Rack mixer and Infinity Looper all via midi.

my first page of buttons is mostly for the Infinity Looper with 8 or so buttons dedicated to looping functions. i have 4 axe scenes on that page and tuner, and recently i added 2 buttons to control the x32 - vocal reverb and putting my Vocal in and out of the Infinity Looper path, using midi to control both mutes and bus send fader levels. i have 1 system button that changes pages on the mmgt.

the next 2 pages have more buttons for the Axe-Fx, individual effects/blocks, more scenes, etc. there are 16 pages available, or 15 + 1 "local" page unique to each preset. obviously the LCD screens with text, colors, and "reactions" to button presses (change color, go darker, inverse, 1/2 inverse) make it very easy to know what is going on per page.

it's changed the way i control my devices and actually lets me use more on each device. before with the MFC and "only" 17 switches, there was no way to use 8 switches for the external looper pedal, scenes, individual blocks and mixer controls all at the same time. sure i could add 4 additional external switches, but they aren't "smart" and don't turn off or do certain things when changing scenes, presets, etc. just too complicated to use externals (btw, external switches can react to internal logic on the MMGT!).

the computer editor makes things very simple to edit, save, backup, etc. ron, the creator, is active on his forum for questions and has quickly squashed bugs and added new features as requested very frequently.

killer device. it's VERY expensive, almost the price of an axe-fx just for a controller. but well worth it if you are doing what you're doing. someone who just changes presets all night or someone who just plays guitar in a band may not understand, and that's ok. but others do really "need" more control available.

Why would you need more than 17 buttons?

If you use just 2 buttons for scenes, then you're left with 15. From those 15 buttons you have a choice of 35 effects blocks, many with 2 or more sub-choices.
I may use only a small fraction of those blocks in my preset, but there's a lot of times I would like to experiment, but I'm stymied because I can't just stop
everything and re-program one MFC button from a delay to a vocoder because the vocoder couldn't fit in my original MFC set up. By the time I got the thing
re-programmed, I'd most likely have forgotten what I was going to do with the vocoder.

Back
Top Bottom