Any way to boost the input?

Grathan

I maxed the global setup input for input 1 and still find myself boosting output on the Input Block at least 5db on every preset just to get a little breakup going on. And this is with my highest output guitar. On the Standard I could simply turn up the input knob to get satisfactory gain (this tended to hover in yellow led region and occasional red). The III hovers in green led territory with casual strumming and very rarely reaches red.

Just trying to think about how to set things up as I get ready to level out presets.

Ideally I would like to be able to switch guitars out and crank the input for lower output guitars easily AND also have more input gain on every preset without having to adjust every input block on every preset.

That sounds like something else in your setup isn't right. Boosting the global input level won't change how easily you get breakup. From the manual:

"Except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels. As you adjust the level to the A/D converter, its output compensates accordingly, so your signal remains exactly the same when it hits the grid and any virtual amps or effects."

Can you describe your setup in more detail? What guitar and pickups are you trying this with? And what presets are you struggling to get breakup with? Many of the default presets should give you more than "a little breakup".

Thanks for the input. I may be using the term "breakup" incorrectly so I've made a quick audio sample.

It's a PRS guitar with a short semi-descent cable. The bridge pickup is fairly hot. The output 1 gets processed by a soundcard that seems fairly similar to direct out to monitors.

It's just 10 seconds with input maxed and then 10 more with 5db boost to in block output. First A-Class 15 scene 1 and then Petrucci Rig scene 1.

This is also from the manual in the beginning in the Setting Levels section:
In general, you should set input levels as high as possible without clipping.

The III hovers in green led territory with casual strumming and very rarely reaches red.

This is fine. You should just tickle the red with your hottest guitar while playing your hardest. Setting input levels is about maximizing signal-to-noise ratio without clipping the input. Increasing the global input level is not going to affect how hard you are pushing the virtual amps.

I do wonder if there is something else going on before the Axe-Fx, as I have set my input levels to 15% with fairly hot passive pickups, and just tickle the red when I really smash the strings.

Thanks for the input. I may be using the term "breakup" incorrectly so I've made a quick audio sample.

Thanks for the audio sample. I would normally use the work 'breakup' to describe the transition from a clean amp sound to something that has a touch of distortion. Both those clips sound about what I'd expect from those presets, and the Petrucci example is well beyond 'a little breakup'. That's OK though, it sounds like you like your amps pushed a little harder than the standard presets. Just bump up the input trim on the amp itself, or increase the gain control on the amp.

Ideally I would like to be able to switch guitars out and crank the input for lower output guitars easily AND also have more input gain on every preset without having to adjust every input block on every preset.

If you are keeping the gate settings the same on every preset, you could link one of the input blocks to a global block, and then "Link-to and Load-from" to this global block for every preset. This will enable you to change the input gain for every preset when you change guitars. The downside to this approach is that you can't then set input gate settings specific for each preset.

Another thing to consider would be linking the input trim parameter in the amp block to an external switch. Then when you change to a low output guitar, just press the external switch and you get an input boost. You would still have to set this up for each individual preset, but you only need to do that once. Even better might be linking this to a volume pedal, giving you variable control over the level of input boost.

I would question whether you want to change the input gain for all presets, but that's just me.

Turn up the Input Drive.

Engage the preamp boost.

Stick a boost-type drive block before the amp.

Stick a null filter in front of the amp and turn the level.

Stick a volume block before the amp and turn up the volume.

Many ways to boost... I've never heard of turning up the Input block output but that works, too.

..... Just trying to think about how to set things up as I get ready to level out presets .....

If you already know / do this just ignore ... otherwise .... before you level out your presets, make sure they are gain staged properly.

To this end, the A/D Input Level is very "head-room-generous" on the A3 .... even with hot pickups, setting your Input 1 Instrument to %70 should be perfectly fine ... tickling the red is good.

Then gain stage your 2 main blocks .... Amp and Cab ...... with either and both these blocks, your output levels with the blocks on should be the same as with the blocks bypassed ..... then do the same gain staging process for every other block too ..... once this is all done, you will have a massive amount of gain headroom to boost or cut as needed.

The other added bonus of doing this is that now, when you go to level out your presets, they will already be very very close to each other so you will only need minimal + / - adjustments in the Output block to get them even / level

Ben

The input knob does seem to max out at about 15% for me which seems pretty low. It might have something to do with secret sauce as it's digital vs. the Standard which had an actual pot?

The input knob does seem to max out at about 15% for me which seems pretty low. It might have something to do with secret sauce as it's digital vs. the Standard which had an actual pot?
What "input knob"? Are you talking about Instrument Level? That is for optimizing A/D conversion and does NOT affect volume or gain.

Let me repeat - from the manual:

Except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels. As you adjust the level to the A/D converter, its output compensates accordingly, so your signal remains exactly the same when it hits the grid and any virtual amps or effects.

Input level adjustments (Instrument Level) do not affect gain.

Thanks, I think part of the confusion I have is that the manual states you should crank the input as high as possible and then 3 sentences later states that it doesn't matter over %5, ...even though it goes to %100.

I think I am also confusing input block output volume and instrument input volume. One is analog and the other digital. This is new to me. I think the Standard only had the one knob that controlled all volume into the grid.

I think my best approach to this may be to put a request in for Input block output volume adjustment for when the push buttons become programmable.

Thanks, I think part of the confusion I have is that the manual states you should crank the input as high as possible and then 3 sentences later states that it doesn't matter over %5, ...even though it goes to %100.

I think I am also confusing input block output volume and instrument input volume. One is analog and the other digital. This is new to me. I think the Standard only had the one knob that controlled all volume into the grid.

I think my best approach to this may be to put a request in for Input block output volume adjustment for when the push buttons become programmable.
Why are you stuck on the Input block volume? As mentioned earlier there are many ways to boost the guitar signal once it is in the Axe Fx, and I believe the Input block allows for -10 - +10db level control...

Maybe put inputs 1 and 2 into all of your presets and set input 2's settings (volume, gate) for the hot guitar and input 1's settings for the soft guitar and maybe make these blocks linked as global blocks, so you could easily change settings if needed?
That's a bit like the high and low inputs of old marshalls.

Maybe put inputs 1 and 2 into all of your presets and set input 2's settings (volume, gate) for the hot guitar and input 1's settings for the soft guitar and maybe make these blocks linked as global blocks, so you could easily change settings if needed?
That's a bit like the high and low inputs of old marshalls.

Input 2 is hardwired to input 2 at the rear, which may not be easily reachable when swapping guitars.

As long as both guitars stay plugged in it's not that bad.

BTW as I read the thread again I wonder if all input blocks allow linking as global blocks, or is it programed for block 1 only?

Are you set for -10dB or +4dB? (see sticky thread @ top).

(edit: I realize this is on the output, but just checking/clarifying the issue.)

Last edited:

You are connecting two unrelated statements.

1. The input trim setting does not affect the level of blocks on the grid because it is compensated. Therefore, with the exception noted, it doesn't affect GAIN.

2. The input trim setting can affect the noise floor. Therefore, you should set it as high as you can without clipping.

You are connecting two unrelated statements.

1. The input trim setting does not affect the level of blocks on the grid because it is compensated. Therefore, with the exception noted, it doesn't affect GAIN.

2. The input trim setting can affect the noise floor. Therefore, you should set it as high as you can without clipping.
I think you mean Instrument Level? Input Trim is in the Amp block, and most definitely affects gain ;)

Maybe when Instrument level would get renamed to 'A/D sensitivy' or 'Signal strength' or 'Input converter' or alike but avoiding the word 'level' people wouldn't come to the wrong idea anymore they could turn their signal 'louder' there?

I can't tell is this is a communication issue or if the OP just doesn't know how to use the device. When you say breakup, do you mean like slight breakup from a pushed amp/distortion? if so, the input is the last place to get that. What amp are you trying to use?

Back
Top Bottom