Any Utilities to Convert User IRs to wav or Axe I Formats?

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I need to export Axe II user IRs (regular *and* ultra resolution) to either wav or Axe FX I sysex formats for use in my Ultra. After exporting the II's user cab sysex with Fractalbot, I have tried the following without success:

JoJo's SYSEX Converter 1.1 - nothing happens when I click the convert button. No wave files are generated in the specified wav directory.

Axe-O-Matic 2.2 - presents "Input File Not Valid Axe I (or II) Format" error when opening a sysex file for conversion.

AlbertA's Axe-Fx IR Converter 2.0 - presents "Failed loading file (could not get audio input stream from input file) error message when opening a sysex file for conversion.

I'd like to know that any cab packs I purchase can be ported to my Ultra. If anyone knows of a way to do this, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Axeomaticdsp will convert wav files to gen 1 sys. I do not think it will work with ultra res sys.

I can't get Axeomatic to work with IRs exported with the Tone Match block. It works with other ultra res sysex files I have on my computer though.

Nor can I open exported Tone Match files in Cab Lab 3 (can't open ultra res sysex). Is it possible to export standard res files from the TM block? I have to believe you can open your exported tone matches in Cab Lab.

Cab lab will not open any sys files. it will only open wav. files. it then converts them to sys. the axe o matic will convert sys but not ultra res, at least in my use with my ultra. are your tone matches saved as ultra res?

The manual says Cab Lab will open .ir, .syx (standared res), and .wav files. I can't see how to export tone matches as standard res.

cab lab will not open sys files from any axe fx. it will open IR syx files and wav. there is a setting in the I/O menu (maybe, or in the save cab as IR page) to select the resolution in which a cab is saved. if you save them as normal res axe o matic dsp should convert them to wav. and or gen 1 sys which can be imported in the gen 1 units if you would like. for me though I could never make my ultra sound like my XL so I never fooled with this much. 3rd party wav. IR's though I have converted many to the gen 1 sys with aomdsp.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Sys files? I don't know what those are. I'm trying to open sysex (.syx) files stored on my hard drive in Cab Lab. These files were created by exporting tone matches to user cab slots, then exporting the user cabs as .syx files to my hard drive. So, I am trying to figure out how to export files from a tone match such that they can be opened in Cab Lab.

As it is, I can't figure out how to get a user IR exported from the II into Cab Lab. I can only save user cabs as ultra res .syx, which Cab Lab won't open. If there is a way to export user cabs as ultra res .ir files, that might work too, since Cab Lab apparently can convert them to standard resolution upon save. But I don't think that's possible.

I have definitely converted cab pack 7 to axe-fx gen 1 syx files before. I did it with cab lab 2 at the time.

The process was
- use cab lab to convert IR files to standard res syx
- use JoJos utility to convert standard res syx to wav.
- use aomDSP to convert to gen 1 syx.

I know for me that aomDSP was becoming problematic, like taking 5 minutes to appear after i clicked on it to start up. The older axe-fx ir converter by AlbertA was a little more picky with the wav file you feed it. Must be 24 bit / 48 kHz

Thanks. I had two problems with this method:

First:
I can't export user cabs (created from the tone match block) from the II as .ir files or standard-res sysex files, only ultra-res sysex. Cab Lab won't open these files. I have no .ir files with which to work, unless the Axe II can export user cabs as .ir files, which I don't believe it can. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken (that would make me very happy). Can "Press X to send over USB" export .ir files? If so, how, and where do these files go?

Second:
JoJo's utility does nothing when I click the Convert button (trying to convert sysex to wav). The Convert button turns red, and stays that way indefinitely without generating any .wav files (I've tried all options for sys file and wav file formats in JoJo's). How long should this process take?

I saw Voes's link http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/10-ultrares-cab-irs-converted-to-axe-fx-standard-ultra.90795/
but it fails at step 3 (JoJoe's conversion). Voes says the sysex files are "HighRes" in his procedure after export with Axe Manage Cabs. I'm assuming he means ultra-res, since I can apparently only export tone matches as ultra-res with Axe-Manage Cabs. I've tried Windows XP and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit operating systems.

I need a tool that will either:
Export a II user cab as either .ir or non-ultra-res sysex (for import into Cab Lab).
Convert ultra-res sysex to .wav (which JoJoe's supposedly does, but doesn't).
Will convert ultra-res to non-ultra-res sysex.

Perhaps I'm confused as to the various IR formats. But Voes's method fails at step 3 for me, and I can find no workaround no matter what I try.

You can make none ultra res IR's with the axe fx. the setting is in the I/O menu. cab lab will not open any file that has been in the axe fx user, or factory cabs, Period! you can how ever convert none ultra res user cabs in aomdsp to wav. and then send to cab lab. but why? make the IR's with cab lab and you can get IR files. If you own 3rd party IR's you will have wav. files and they can be converted with aomdsp to use with gen 1 units, or use cab lab to send them as ultra res to gen 2 units.

You can make none ultra res IR's with the axe fx. the setting is in the I/O menu.

I set "IR Capture Mode" parameter (in the Global) menu to "Standard". This saves tone matches exported to user cabs as standard resolution. This was useful information that allows me to open user cabs in Cab Lab. Thank you. While these files open in Cab Lab, they will still not open in aomdsp for conversion to gen 1 sysex.

cab lab will not open any file that has been in the axe fx user, or factory cabs, Period!

Using the above parameter setting you mentioned, exported user cabs will open in Cab Lab. Again, thanks.

you can how ever convert none ultra res user cabs in aomdsp to wav. and then send to cab lab. but why?
Since I now know how to export standard-res sysex files that open in Cab Lab, I don't need aomdsp for this purpose. However, I still need aomdsp to convert the files to gen 1 sysex. Unfortunately, aomdsp still will not open sysex files (of any res) exported from the Axe II.

make the IR's with cab lab and you can get IR files. If you own 3rd party IR's you will have wav. files and they can be converted with aomdsp to use with gen 1 units, or use cab lab to send them as ultra res to gen 2 units.

If I could get aomdsp to open any of my exported sysex files (or if I could convert the sysex files to wav before opening them in aomdsp), I could convert my Axe II user cabs to gen 1 format. But even standard-res sysex files won't open in aomdsp.

Sysex files (even ultra-res) from 3rd parties will open in aomdsp, but exported user cab sysex files from the Axe II (of any res) will not. Something is different about these files. What, and why?

Last edited:
Thanks. I had two problems with this method:

First:
I can't export user cabs (created from the tone match block) from the II as .ir files or standard-res sysex files, only ultra-res sysex. Cab Lab won't open these files. I have no .ir files with which to work, unless the Axe II can export user cabs as .ir files, which I don't believe it can. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken (that would make me very happy). Can "Press X to send over USB" export .ir files? If so, how, and where do these files go?

Second:
JoJo's utility does nothing when I click the Convert button (trying to convert sysex to wav). The Convert button turns red, and stays that way indefinitely without generating any .wav files (I've tried all options for sys file and wav file formats in JoJo's). How long should this process take?

I saw Voes's link http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/10-ultrares-cab-irs-converted-to-axe-fx-standard-ultra.90795/
but it fails at step 3 (JoJoe's conversion). Voes says the sysex files are "HighRes" in his procedure after export with Axe Manage Cabs. I'm assuming he means ultra-res, since I can apparently only export tone matches as ultra-res with Axe-Manage Cabs. I've tried Windows XP and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit operating systems.

I need a tool that will either:
Export a II user cab as either .ir or non-ultra-res sysex (for import into Cab Lab).
Convert ultra-res sysex to .wav (which JoJoe's supposedly does, but doesn't).
Will convert ultra-res to non-ultra-res sysex.

Perhaps I'm confused as to the various IR formats. But Voes's method fails at step 3 for me, and I can find no workaround no matter what I try.

I can't speak for user cabs / tone matches, I was just responding to your second part of the OP, regarding cab packs.

JoJo's utility cannot process ultra res syx files. It only handles high or normal res.

Ultra res - approx 8000 samples
Hi res - 2048 samples (with higher CPU usage than ultra res)
Normal res - 1024 samples

I know for a fact that cab lab 2 allowed you to batch convert a whole cab pack IR files to hi res ("Standard res") syx using the IR2syx tool.

I have not used aomdsp in quite some time, for once I hade tones in the ultra it became plug and play. I don't remember having much trouble cross converting IR's when I first got my axe II. What axe fx are you using? maybe the aomdsp will not convert the XL and XL+ files? That program was out long before these models.

I was never able to get user cabs in cab lab, but have not tried in some time. I will have to try this, there may have been an update that changed this.

I can't speak for user cabs / tone matches, I was just responding to your second part of the OP, regarding cab packs.

JoJo's utility cannot process ultra res syx files. It only handles high or normal res.

Ultra res - approx 8000 samples
Hi res - 2048 samples (with higher CPU usage than ultra res)
Normal res - 1024 samples

I know for a fact that cab lab 2 allowed you to batch convert a whole cab pack IR files to hi res ("Standard res") syx using the IR2syx tool.

If I could get JoJo's to work with exported high-res tone matches (as Voes did in the link in post #10 above), everything would be great. I'm trying it with standard and high res sysex input, but the "Convert" button stays red and no output is produced. But it works with 3rd party high res sysex files. So something has apparently changed with the sysex cab file format exported from the II. Looks like I'm screwed. All I want to do is use 10 of the II's factory cab IRs in my Ultra. The Ultra has a very limited selection of poor IRs. The II has awesome IRs that can be further improved with dephase before tone matching. There are 10 specific II cabs I want to convert to gen 1. It used to be possible, but not anymore? Major bummer.

The last alternative that may be available to you is to EQ match using ozone or something similar in your DAW and then deconvolving to a wav IR and finally converting to axe fx ultra syx. This is how Clark Kent used to do his stuff.

Maybe post one of the wav files and i will test it on Jojo on my machine

The last alternative that may be available to you is to EQ match using ozone or something similar in your DAW and then deconvolving to a wav IR and finally converting to axe fx ultra syx. This is how Clark Kent used to do his stuff.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing next. It's far more work, and I don't yet have Ozone.

Maybe post one of the wav files and i will test it on Jojo on my machine

I can't get a wav file at any point in the chain. I can get a high-res (not ultra-res) .syx file exported from the II (as a tone match > exported as user cab > exported as .syx via Axe-Manager Cabs or Fractal-Bot). JoJo's is supposed to turn this into a wav file, which axe-o-matic is supposed to convert to gen 1 .syx.

I'll post a .syx file that JoJo's is supposed to convert to wav. Axeomatic should then convert the wav to gen 1 syx. Thanks for the offer and help.

I might PM Voes, since he has successfully performed this conversion. At this point, I'm spinning my wheels.

Here is a .syx file of a cab created on my Axe II XL by creating a tone match of a user cab (Global menu option of "IR Capture Mode" set to "Standard") , then exporting the user cab with Axe-Manage Cabs. The file opens in Cab Lab, but JoJo's converter sticks with a red "Convert" button and produces no output wav file. I'm beginning to wonder if the XL modified the .syx files in a way that prevens JoJo's from working. Thank you for your help.

My main motivation is to be able to import cabs into the user slots in my Ultra after processing the files with the Dephase algorithm in the II. The vast majority of IRs are, IMOHO, useless for my application without some degree of Dephase.

Attachments

• TESTCAB.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 9
This may have to do with the recent introduction of 'Ultra-Res 2'? Maybe something changed with the 'Standard-Res' IRs too?

Back
Top Bottom