Any Triaxis Users Out There?

I have an XL+ and I am trying to validate keeping my Brand New Triaxis by using it as a preamp for recording Mesa Amps guitar tracks.

Once I heard the Triaxis was being discontinued 3 years ago, I searched everywhere and found a store in another state with a brand new one in an unopened box (it's been sitting in a box for the last two years since I mainly use my JMP-1).

It sounds amazing going through my XL+ for effects and then through my Mesa 2:90 and/or Marshall EL34 50/50 (power tube mod allowing left side EL34, right side 6L6).

For live it sounds amazing but I want to record some guitar tracks with it.

I found that it sounds okay going through the XL+ for IR's and effects into my recording interface.

I believe what makes it just okay is the missing power amp.

I know I can use the Tube Pre but it really doesn't add what I feel is lacking here.

Is there any certain parameters in the Tube Pre that could be adjusted to make it more like a true power amp?

I have a Two Notes Studio and I might try it next but I was hoping to get what I need out of the XL+

And yes, I know the XL+ has models of the Triaxis but I don't feel they actually sound/feel the same (IMO) since I have played them side by side (and adjusted both of them).

The models are not bad sounding but mainly different sounding/feeling than my own Triaxis since the preamp tubes that I use in it will play a huge factor in tone/feel as well as my power amps that I use with it.

I have the Triaxis sounding pretty good in a live setting and I want to get it the same/similar for recording without miking it up.

Well, any suggestions other than "Just use the XL+ Triaxis models" would be appreciated due to my explanations above :)

And thank you ahead of time for them!!

Last edited:
I take screen shots of for example the desired Amp Block Power Amp parameters, and plug them all into the Tube Pre (Axe Edit Tabs: Power Amp, Power Supply, Speaker, Speaker Drv, Dynamics), select a neutral tonestack like active or studio, leave the Tube Pre's tonestack flat (all 12:00), and since there are additional virtual gain stages, I lower the Input Trim and don't run the Master Volume much over 8.50 max (for compression and color), or less for higher gain preamps. At this point I only use the Presence and Depth controls as appropriate, and tweak whatever else as needed from there (save the Amp Block when finished etc).

Works well for me with my tube preamps!

I remember looking all over the place for a power amp only choice when I first got my II. My Atomic Amplifire had one so I knew the Fractal had to. I'm still looking...BTW, that is of course the only leg up it has on the Fractal.

I remember looking all over the place for a power amp only choice when I first got my II. My Atomic Amplifire had one so I knew the Fractal had to. I'm still looking...BTW, that is of course the only leg up it has on the Fractal.

Fractal does not have a dedicated tube power amp model even though it's been asked for since Day 1 by many, due to the fact Cliff believes it would make it too easy for others to reverse engineer his code.

The best you can do is follow my instructions above, and modify the Tube Pre model.

I haven't tried the Atomic tube power amps sims personally, but reviews from people who's opinions I respect have not been that good, so...???

I have used the Two Notes tube power amp sims which sound generic, but good, though their presence control essentially works backwards.

The nice thing about the Fractal is that you can really dial it in however you like with all of the exposed power section and speaker parameters!

I've reached the second phase of tweaking by starting to play with the advanced parameters. For instance, I found that setting the Sag to "Ideal" and then lowering the Sag Drive all the way down will give me the dynamic and bite I could never get before.

I've reached the second phase of tweaking by starting to play with the advanced parameters. For instance, I found that setting the Sag to "Ideal" and then lowering the Sag Drive all the way down will give me the dynamic and bite I could never get before.

Did you change the setting to "Ideal" in "Dynamics" or some other place?

Did you lower the Sag Drive (Supply Sag) in "Power Supply"?

Thanks!!

Welcome, let me know what you think...

I was able to get a pretty good sound today, and I am still working on it since the Triaxis has a lot of options for dialing in sounds, so I'll be working on some more tonight.

Thank you again for the suggestions and advice!!!

I did it in the Advanced Menu. It's not too far down from the top of the page.

I didn't find the "Advanced Menu" in AXE Edit.

The AXE Edit version is 3.14.5 and the XL+ is using Firmware 10.01

I wonder if it would appear if I upgrade the firmware to Ares.

I have one XL+ with Ares but it's at the studio and we are doing the "Social Distancing" thing right now and I was refraining from updating this one since I like having both versions due to them sounding different.

I have one XL+ with Ares but it's at the studio and we are doing the "Social Distancing" thing right now and I was refraining from updating this one since I like having both versions due to them sounding different.
Well, he didn't specifically say in Axe-Edit. He probably means from the front panel ;)

Well, he didn't specifically say in Axe-Edit. He probably means from the front panel ;)

Hi Unix-Guy, I did say Axe Edit though I'm running Ares 2.x, and Axe Edit 3.14.5

However, I never mentioned a "Advanced Menu", rather what I said was...

"I take screen shots of for example the desired Amp Block Power Amp parameters, and plug them all into the Tube Pre (Axe Edit Tabs: Power Amp, Power Supply, Speaker, Speaker Drv, Dynamics), select a neutral tonestack like active or studio, leave the Tube Pre's tonestack flat (all 12:00), and since there are additional virtual gain stages I lower the Input Trim and don't run the Master Volume much over 8.50 max (for compression and color), or less for higher gain preamps. At this point I only use the Presence and Depth controls as appropriate, and tweak whatever else as needed from there (save the Amp Block when finished etc).

Works well for me with my tube preamps!"

I'm sorry. I was talking about the menu on the unit itself. I keep forgetting I'm one of those few people who only hooks up to a computer when there are updates. I am running Ares 2.0 btw.

Got cha LOL!

Any thoughts on mimicking tube power sections for use with external preamps?

Thx...
Aside from using the Tube Pre model as already mentioned, no. I do everything inside the box so haven't needed to try that before.

Back
Top Bottom