Any tips to fatten up the 1st string ?

1poorplayer

Power User
I'm loving the tone I created , but the 1st string sounds a little thin , and I'm running out of time to tweak.

Is this a recent development, or have you always had 1st-string issues?

Might be time for new strings. :)

I just built a preset and it sounds pretty great , except I'd like to make the high end a little thicker.
Was wondering if there were any tweaks to achieve this with a Marshall amp/ speaker setup.

I believe it's a gain issue.

Last edited:
Ya, the fundimental ranges from ~300Hz. to ~1200Hz. and the harmonics extend on up from there of coarse, so ~1200Hz. may not be the highest mids to boost to get what you want.

Is it a guitar setup issue? If so: the fix might not be to the amp.

For example: with a humbucker you can fatten that E a little by turning the set screw down into the bobbin/cover a turn and raising the pickup toward the strings on the treble side a bit to re-balance the volume. Conversely, raising the pole pieces out from the cover will take it a step toward a P90ish tone. I've often futzed the pole piece height to balance the plain G. Raising the wound pole pieces and lowering the plains can get a hint more definition out of the bass and thicken the plains. With single coils you've just got pickup height and string gauge to work with. Its subtle stuff, and pickup dependent: but it might be the solution.

Last edited:
I have that issue with my USA DLX Strat (avatar)My fault because I changed the Hi E to an 8. My wonderful arthritis. I use 9-42's but last year my hands said, use an 8 on the Hi E. So I did. It's not terrible and maybe only I can hear it. Never tried boosting the mids like that. I will give it a shot.

I have that issue with my USA DLX Strat (avatar)My fault because I changed the Hi E to an 8. My wonderful arthritis. I use 9-42's but last year my hands said, use an 8 on the Hi E. So I did. It's not terrible and maybe only I can hear it. Never tried boosting the mids like that. I will give it a shot.
Consider changing over to a complete set of 8's. You'll get better string-to-string balance, so you can tweak your tones to sound meatier across the board.

What gauge and brand is your 1st string?

Boomers.... 10's.

Great advice from everyone. I will remember the tips.

Believe it or not , I lowered the drive on the amp to cure most of my issue.
While playing a D chord ( like I were to play- Queen , crazy little thing called love ) , my high strings were sounding fizzly and weak. I pulled the drive down , and the strings began to sound natural and full again.
I am a "guitar volume" kind of player. My goal is to have my guitar clean enough to play Styx - Sweet madam blue , while on 3-4 ( guitar volume ) , and have crunch on tap , at 8-10.
Thanks again guys.

Back
Top Bottom