Any tips for a new FRFR user.

Si.

Inspired
Hi all,

Just received my Q12 cab this morning. As my first proper venture into the world of FRFR are there any tips on getting a good sound? I've always used my AxeFX II through standard guitar cabs so never really looked at the cab block much.

I play in a band but we don't mic the guitars up when playing live as our PA isn't the greatest (Mackie SRM450 Tops), so I'm planning on using the Q12 as my sole backline amplification (Although I'm thinking of still taking my 2x12 cab and maybe blending them both together until i get more confident in the Q12). I've tried the new Q12 for 20 mins or so and it doesn't seem to fill the room like my 2x12 does, but i've not tried it at volume, just bedroom levels.

I recently got a Q12 too. I use it with the Matrix GT1000FX. I made a similar switch from a 2x12 V30 to (for now 1) Q12.

It's totally different soundwise....concept wise even. So i think its hard to compare.
FRFR is not just cab modeling, but Mic modeling too (and sometimes even some post processing)

You can compare it with how some of the pro's work with miced cabs off stage and using in-ears or on stage monitoring for their on stage sound (John Petrucci for instance)
the Axe cab block works as the "off stage" cab/mic, the Q12 as you on stage monitoring. It makes your soundscaping possibilities more flexible, at the cost of (in my opinion) what is often referred to as "cab in the room" sound.

A great advantage of FRFR is that well created patched translate very well to FOH. so you hear what they hear. Sound guys only need to tweak for the venue.
IR's are a great part of your sound. Put some time into selecting them.

I wouldn't advise to take both the Q12 and your cab to a gig. Try the Q12 on its own and tweak your presets accordingly.
Combining both in one patch is doable, but tricky.

Do some gigs and rehearsals and then make up your mind.
I'm still in the process too.

Good luck!

Lots of tweaking needed I think.. most things I've done sound very bright with shrill top ends.. On the hunt for some "in the room" IRs...

Si, I'm pretty sure LVC also uses the Q12 with a Matrix GT1000 and has kindly published a couple of his patches. Worth digging them out as you have very similar setups. I remember seeing his "all purpose" patch and one specifically for a Dumble. Have a search and they should pop up.

here you go -- these should get you started

For FW 10

All around patch

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Tweed - by LVC

My basic live gig patch.
Twin and Tweed amps used 5 Scenes
1. Basic Rhythm
2. Compressor (R&B/Motown/Dance)
3. Edge Breakup - when I need a little bit of hair
4. Light Crunch - nothing heavy
5. Lead - Amp Change to a Tweed
Guitar: Suhr Humbucker tele Korina Body Filter 2 (first in chain) is Mutron Filter 1 (last in chain) is a boost
Matrix GT1000FX Amp Q12 cab No FOH used at gigs Need to play at gig volumes

Dumble Patch

Axe-Change - Download Preset - ODS-100 Lead - by LVC

Dumble Lead tone. Not a high gain Dumble tone. Good for R&B and Smooth Jazz. Scene

1 - Basic Lead Scene
2 - Basic Lead with 4db Boost

ODS -

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dumble ODS - by LVC

Basic Dumble Patch utilizing both clean and OD channels. More for a low gain and clean player.
Scene 1: Clean Channel
Scene 2: Clean channel 4db Boost
Scene 3: Clean Channel RC Boost
Scene 4: OD Channel (adjust to taste)
Scene 5: OD Channel Mid Boost (adjust to taste)

Note: scene 3 kills

Triptik Clean
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Carol Ann Triptik Clean - by LVC

Five scene patch using the fabulous clean channel of the Carol Ann Triptik Amp
Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Clean with 4db boost
Scene 3 - Clean with RC Boost For Edgy sound
Scene 4 -Clean with ZenDrive
Scene 5 - Clean with Zendrive and 4 db boost
Scenes 1,2,4,5 use 4x12 Basketweave TV Scene 3 uses Proverb 2x12 mix

FW 11

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Tweed 11 - by LVC

My basic live gig patch. Updated For V11 Twin and Tweed amps used 5 Scenes
1. Basic Rhythm 2. Compressor (R&B/Motown/Dance)
Guitar: Suhr Humbucker tele Korina Body Filter 2 (first in chain) is Mutron Filter 1 (last in chain) is a boost

Note: I also found that the speakers needed about 10 or so hours to break-in.
My presets are designed for live playing (loud) - To get a real feel for what they sound like set the GT1000FX Channel vol between 1 and 3 and the Axe between 11 and noon.

Also since you if you are using a single speaker - set the Matrix in the middle or parallel mode (mono) and the axe copy L>R

They sound good at lower volumes but they sound best with the Matrix cranked.

Important: Do not just leave your guitar vol and tone controls wide open. Use them to fine tune your sound. I am a volume knob and tone control rider -- I rarely leave them wide open.

Last edited:
really play with IR's... maybe make an IR of your cab.

+1

I'd go for the mix IR's in the Axe first. They are nicely done and IMHO they are a good starting point. Ownhammer is about to release two sets of mix IR's that to my ears seem somewhat brighter. Having another flavour (or 2 or 3!) can be really helpful in finding your voice.

Terry.

If you have a great sounding cab, I'd start working into IR's with mic'ing your own cabinet first, nail your tone with your rig and then shoot an IR of that cab and start there.

That will keep you grounded and not spinning your wheels in dialing in your FRFR rig.

Other people's presets (including mine) are great to learn from, but the key is finding your own footing and creating your own tone. Starting from a familiar place and a familiar cab is IMHO the best 'first' venture into FRFR coming from a conventional rig.

If it´s really trebly... Have you turned ON cab sim in the global menu? Just asking, because when i went from PA/CABS to FRFR/IR i thought the IR´s sounded dark.

Hi all,

Just received my Q12 cab this morning. As my first proper venture into the world of FRFR are there any tips on getting a good sound? I've always used my AxeFX II through standard guitar cabs so never really looked at the cab block much.

I play in a band but we don't mic the guitars up when playing live as our PA isn't the greatest (Mackie SRM450 Tops), so I'm planning on using the Q12 as my sole backline amplification (Although I'm thinking of still taking my 2x12 cab and maybe blending them both together until i get more confident in the Q12). I've tried the new Q12 for 20 mins or so and it doesn't seem to fill the room like my 2x12 does, but i've not tried it at volume, just bedroom levels.

Trust me that sucker will blow the foam off the beer at the bar.

Try the presets I gave you -- the all around patch is what I gig with --- no FOH etc -- just the Q12.

I have exactly the same setup you do --
use it the same way you want to --
and before I started gigging regularly with the axe and the Q12 I was using tube amps with traditional cabs.

Hopefully my experience with the same setup will help reduce your learning curve and help you create your own presets.

Word to the wise --- if you are going to gig with the patches -- create/tweak them as close to gig volume as you can.

Maybe it is just me or in my head -- but to me it makes a world of difference.

One more thing ---- I strongly recommend you pole mount the Q12 so it is at chest level --- again a very big difference in overall sound and dispersion.

file_zps0dd2242a.jpg

Word to the wise --- if you are going to gig with the patches -- create/tweak them as close to gig volume as you can.

Maybe it is just me or in my head -- but to me it makes a world of difference.

It's not you Laz this has been a point of reference for quite a wile, the dreaded FM curve plays with your ears/head and will have you second guessing every time.

It's not you Laz this has been a point of reference for quite a wile, the dreaded FM curve plays with your ears/head and will have you second guessing every time.

I even find that even just a 3dB boost to bring things up to a lead level is enough to require that I dial out some of the highs.

Terry.

I've tried the new Q12 for 20 mins or so and it doesn't seem to fill the room like my 2x12 does, but i've not tried it at volume, just bedroom levels.
I've tried my new Lamborghini, and it doesn't seem to go as fast as my Ferrari, but I haven't stepped on the gas yet, just parking-lot driving. :)

I've not looked into the process of creating an IR, I'll have to read up on it.

I've got the house to myself tomorrow so will be able to spend more time with it :)

I've also got a spare PA tripod so mounting it at a higher level should be possible. I've got 7 weeks until my next gig so plenty of time to mess about and get things sorted. I think I'll see how I get on at home and maybe book a rehearsal space for a few hours next week so I can get it to a proper volume.

I've not looked into the process of creating an IR, I'll have to read up on it.

I've got the house to myself tomorrow so will be able to spend more time with it :)

I've also got a spare PA tripod so mounting it at a higher level should be possible. I've got 7 weeks until my next gig so plenty of time to mess about and get things sorted. I think I'll see how I get on at home and maybe book a rehearsal space for a few hours next week so I can get it to a proper volume.

Shooting the IR is very quick, it's the set up of the mic placement that can be a pain. mic placement plays a pretty big role.

here you go -- these should get you started

For FW 10

All around patch

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Tweed - by LVC

My basic live gig patch.
Twin and Tweed amps used 5 Scenes
1. Basic Rhythm
2. Compressor (R&B/Motown/Dance)

Dumble Patch

Axe-Change - Download Preset - ODS-100 Lead - by LVC

Dumble Lead tone. Not a high gain Dumble tone. Good for R&B and Smooth Jazz. Scene

1 - Basic Lead Scene
2 - Basic Lead with 4db Boost

ODS -

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dumble ODS - by LVC

Basic Dumble Patch utilizing both clean and OD channels. More for a low gain and clean player.
Scene 1: Clean Channel
Scene 2: Clean channel 4db Boost
Scene 3: Clean Channel RC Boost
Scene 4: OD Channel (adjust to taste)
Scene 5: OD Channel Mid Boost (adjust to taste)

Note: scene 3 kills

Triptik Clean
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Carol Ann Triptik Clean - by LVC

Five scene patch using the fabulous clean channel of the Carol Ann Triptik Amp
Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Clean with 4db boost
Scene 3 - Clean with RC Boost For Edgy sound
Scene 4 -Clean with ZenDrive
Scene 5 - Clean with Zendrive and 4 db boost
Scenes 1,2,4,5 use 4x12 Basketweave TV Scene 3 uses Proverb 2x12 mix

FW 11

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Tweed 11 - by LVC

My basic live gig patch. Updated For V11 Twin and Tweed amps used 5 Scenes
1. Basic Rhythm 2. Compressor (R&B/Motown/Dance)

Note: I also found that the speakers needed about 10 or so hours to break-in.
My presets are designed for live playing (loud) - To get a real feel for what they sound like set the GT1000FX Channel vol between 1 and 3 and the Axe between 11 and noon.

Also since you if you are using a single speaker - set the Matrix in the middle or parallel mode (mono) and the axe copy L>R

They sound good at lower volumes but they sound best with the Matrix cranked.

Important: Do not just leave your guitar vol and tone controls wide open. Use them to fine tune your sound. I am a volume knob and tone control rider -- I rarely leave them wide open.

I've been messing with patches most of today. Really like yours (Twin Tweed 11) and they sound good but are all a bit too clean for me. Although I might pinch your scene 1 for my clean sound :)

Still struggling a bit to get my basic rhythm sound how I like it, everything seems too piercing and toppy, maybe I need to just get used to how an FRFR setup sounds compared to a normal cab.

Back
Top Bottom