any tips for 1st time K12 use ?

mongey

Inspired
so our singer has a studio and does live sound around the city as a job. the PA in his room isnt the best and it stuggles to handle vox and axe fx .I was plalnning to run my XL into my dual recto power section and cab as we are auditioning a pretty loud drummer tomorrow but the singer txts me and says "not sure if its good for you you can use the qsc k12 monitor I bought for my PA set up if it will work "

so I'm going to give it a go . pretty much gonna have to walk in, plug in and play though .

any insider tips I should know to get me going ? I fully admit I am a PA gear noob .

would I be best going stereo into the 2 inputs or just mono into 1 ?

Set the k12 eq switch to flat.
Do you already have frfr presets that you like? If you are used to playing through a power amp& cab then you might need to rework your presets or create new to work with the k12 (which is essentially frfr)

It will be loud enough. I'm sure of that.

Just use one input. Never tried using 2 at once as use it also as my vocal monitor. So I can't comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the tip man

I make my patches on my studio monitors . I dont do the amp/cab thing much.depends on the situation . was just going to for this jam as this drummer is loud

figure I'll keep it simple and stick to 4 or 5 patches and tweak with the global eq for this jam

Some people use a beam blocker on their K12.

I owned a K12 for a while. It was a nice full-featured FR speaker, although I did notice in its sound that it's entirely made from plastic.

So jammed and I really liked the k12. Patches sounded like they did on my monitors but louder

May make a purchase.

I stand mine up, flat setting, used to use with sub switch but tones were bass heave thru pa, so went back to normal. In the cab block I cut highs anywhere from 6-8k. Rock solid and super loud if u need it.

Some people use a beam blocker on their K12.

I owned a K12 for a while. It was a nice full-featured FR speaker, although I did notice in its sound that it's entirely made from plastic.

Hey yek,
Folks say the beam blocker improves the sound/cuts down on ear fatigue? What are folks using?

I use a K10, sitting on the floor. I also have the eq switch set to roll off the low end. YMMV.

I'm about to borrow a K10 for an upcoming gig.
Never tried one before.
Do you use yours for stage?
If so, does a 10" fill the stage enough to cut thru the the rest of the band?

Never tried one before.

No first hand experience with the k10 but the k12 has a ton of headroom to spare when used as a stage wedge. Should be plenty loud enough.

Never tried one before.

I used a couple of QSC K10s for two years, before I got the CLR Active wedges.

The K10 has plenty of power to fill any club stage.

Use the NORM setting for LF, and the FLAT setting for HF.

If it seems boomy at gig levels, try rolling off the lows by 1.5 dB, beginning at about 700 Hz.

I used a couple of QSC K10s for two years, before I got the CLR Active wedges.

The K10 has plenty of power to fill any club stage.

Use the NORM setting for LF, and the FLAT setting for HF.

If it seems boomy at gig levels, try rolling off the lows by 1.5 dB, beginning at about 700 Hz.

What would you say was the most convincing reason why you wanted to move on to the CLRs from the K10s?

Everyone has different ears and seems like every piece of gear has folks that love or hate certain cabs for a myriad of reasons. Did you feel like both were great but one had a wider coverage, better tone, etc. or were the CLRs a clear winner in your opinion?

One thing I've asked folks is how necessary is it to have two of a K10 or a CLR instead of just one? Thanks!

What would you say was the most convincing reason why you wanted to move on to the CLRs from the K10s?

Accuracy. The Atomic CLR is simply a more accurate transducer system, hands down. A side-by-side, "A/B" test between a CLR prototype and a QSC K-series, conducted 29 JAN 2012 at the first Axe-Fx Users Meetup, convinced me and several other listeners. It's really very obvious when they are side by side.

Everyone has different ears and seems like every piece of gear has folks that love or hate certain cabs for a myriad of reasons. Did you feel like both were great but one had a wider coverage, better tone, etc. or were the CLRs a clear winner in your opinion?

Clear winner, in every sense of the word, except for carry weight. The K10 is about 32 lbs. (14.5 kg), where the original CLR Active Wedge weighed about 46.5 lbs. (21 kg.) However, when Atomic Amplifiers made the CLRs available with a neodymium magnet structure (the "NEO" upgrade), the weight came down to 33 lbs. (14 kg.). The NEO CLRs are great.

One thing I've asked folks is how necessary is it to have two of a K10 or a CLR instead of just one? Thanks!

If I had to choose between gigging with two QSC K10s, or one Atomic CLR, I would absolutely choose the one CLR. No question.

Accuracy. The Atomic CLR is simply a more accurate transducer system, hands down. A side-by-side, "A/B" test between a CLR prototype and a QSC K-series, conducted 29 JAN 2012 at the first Axe-Fx Users Meetup, convinced me and several other listeners. It's really very obvious when they are side by side.

Clear winner, in every sense of the word, except for carry weight. The K10 is about 32 lbs. (14.5 kg), where the original CLR Active Wedge weighed about 46.5 lbs. (21 kg.) However, when Atomic Amplifiers made the CLRs available with a neodymium magnet structure (the "NEO" upgrade), the weight came down to 33 lbs. (14 kg.). The NEO CLRs are great.

If I had to choose between gigging with two QSC K10s, or one Atomic CLR, I would absolutely choose the one CLR. No question.

Thanks man! I appreciate you taking the time to break it all down and explain in detail.

I had one clr which was good. But ..... Two is outta this world. I Really notice the stereo chorus on dirty patches. It fills every nook n cranny in our rehearsal room. So full and lush.

Back
Top Bottom