Any thoughts? Studio Upgrade- Saffire 56 - Apollo Quad - etc

Jeries

Power User
I'm switching up some gear- Thought i'd post what I'm doing and if anyone had thoughts or insight feel free to chime in...

Currently have...
Saffire 56, Octepre Mk II and Octepre Dynamic

Do I have a need to record 30+ tracks at once? no way

I dislike some aspects of the Saffire 56- mostly the mix control (got to Saffire56 from Mbox then 002 then 003 then 003+ starting when I was 17 or 18)
I have to do more clicking around in the mix control than I do protools

SO...
I picked up a Control 24... (the old one- wish me luck- everything tests perfect and has a serial number with the newer/doesn't blow up power supply- that can still probably blow up anyway but knock on wood)

I figured I might as well upgrade...

I looked into old PTHD rig- with the 192/cards- but I don't want to be dependent on PT HD

Then I started looking at the Universal Audio Apollo Stuff
Basically an Apollo 16 could fully run the control 24 (i mean make use of the preamps/monitors/etc)

I think that's overkill- and i just want to use the Control 24 as a controller/giant mouse

So all roads have lead me to the Apollo Quad...

I use PC.
I now run PT10 and PT11 legit versions

I like the idea of being able to track drums with effects/reverb on it

Based on honest opinions- the preamps/converters from what I head between the saffire 56 and apollo quad are MINIMAL
even though they're $1000 difference in price- but if I sell the 2 or 3 of the units I have- I can pay for the Quad easy

I use junky cheap studio monitors because I rarely do my own mixing/mastering

I also picked up a Presonus Central Station for monitors- I'd like to add another set of monitors too

I was thinking- I wish I got a central station sooner- I could switch between my keyboard/axefx/audio interface into monitors really easy- so if i wanted to play keys or guitar without recording/the computer/switching cables...

Anyway

Short story
thinking of ditching LS56 for Apollo Quad

ALSO- Since legit waves plugins are CHEAP now
(Waves Gold only $199)
I want to buy a set of those- then I can have those plugins with PT11+ and always own a legit version of it

so- anyway if anyone has any thoughts/ideas/anything that comes to mind- I'd love to hear it...

This is a personal studio that only I will use on my own projects- this isn't something I'm going to rent out or anything like that

Back
Top Bottom