**UPDATE** Any TA Drop Top owners..

For the T, I generally find it to be too scooped sounding. I’m guessing that’s from being hollow, but not entirely sure. I have a pickup swap to do on that one to get more mids.
That’s the kind of information I was looking for, thank you! I wondered about the mids being scooped too.

Last edited:
These Wilkinson locking saddles work great & are a direct replacement on Anderson bridges as well as others like the Gotoh 510. These allowed me to not have the term decked & made it much easier to get nice, even vibratos & stay in tune much better than before, even with it decked. They sell out quickly and are out of stock now but can be found on Wilkinson Direct on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/24879182-wilkinson-wls130-locking-steel-saddles?show_sold=trueView attachment 74530
That bridge is actually a Gotoh 1099 OEM for Tom, the new ones are not Gotoh anymore but OEM budget 510 copies (not great.)

Beware dead notes and lively notes on hollow bodies as they seem far more common and there is not much you can do to fix it other that change parts out to affect the resonant frequencies .

I’m considering ordering an Anderson Drop Top and wondered if anyone here has any experience between the sound/tone of the hollow vs a solid body?

I plan on either a mahogany/quilted maple or a basswood/quilted maple combo for the body.

I’ve decided I want a caramel maple/chocolate maple fingerboard.

For pups, HSS configuration: HC3+ and 2 SC2

Also a short scale length neck (24 3/4, 50’s V large) and fixed, non-tremolo bridge.

I have a Gibson 2003 Joe Perry LP Boneyard (fixed bridge), that is chambered and it has a very resonant woody tone - and it’s a lot lighter than a typical LP. I’m looking for a similar thing with the TA but in a Strat configuration.

The TA’s look absolutely stunning but I can’t find one locally to take for a test drive.

Anyone?

EDIT: ** UPDATE**
So I pulled the trigger back in November... just got this beauty yesterday 4/10/21
Beautiful

Always wanted a TA

Enjoy!!

Yep, it stings... but at this stage of my life, as long as I continue to have the means, being happy is all that matters.
It reminds me of when my grandparents used to always say, "I remember when a candy bar was a nickel". I remember when I could get a full blown custom made guitar from a top builder/company for less than $2500. Those days are long gone. $4k-$5k+ is increasingly the norm. Sucks, but what can you do?

Thats a great looking Anderson. Congrats!

It reminds me of when my grandparents used to always say, "I remember when a candy bar was a nickel". I remember when I could get a full blown custom made guitar from a top builder/company for less than $2500. Those days are long gone. $4k-$5k+ is increasingly the norm. Sucks, but what can you do?

Thats a great looking Anderson. Congrats!
It’s all really relative these days isn’t it?

After having sold my dead-note Suhr Modern Satin and the Schecter Nick Johnston USA, I have a Drop Top 2021 under my radar. But I am not sure about pulling the trigger.

Do you think that $2,500 is fair?

Only 22 frets, though. But I have good experience with Basswood. The best resonant-mojo guitar I've played so far is a basswood RG550LTD
1649254855610.png

1649254910871.png

Back
Top Bottom