Any Suhr guitar players out there?

lj045637

Inspired
Hi,

I own a Suhr Modern with the following pickups:
- Neck Pickup: SSV Humbucker
- Middle Pickup: V60LP, single coil
- Bridge Pickup: SSH plus, Humbucker

Unfortunately I am having a hard time setting these correctly.

I have currently set the high e string with a distance of 2,5 mm and low e string with a distance of 3,5 mm (both measured with the string pressed down at 24th fret) for the SSH plus.
The result is better sustain, but the tone gets thinner and less output:-(.

The factory specs are too close to the strings for my taste...loss of sustain, level difference between all pickups etc.

Any suggestions ? Which pickup height have you set with these pickups with your Axe Fx?

Regards,
John

I have 2 Suhrs. I have a Modern and a Classic. My Modern has a SSH in the neck position and the bridge position. I'm not convinced that there is a magic number. I use factory spec except for the neck pickup. I lowered it just a slight amount. I use my ears as a guide rather than my engineers rule. I don't recall off the top of my head what exact measurement I am using, but my Suhr sounds awesome. I'm old school, so I went with the 2 pickup configuration rather than 3. I do have a 5 way switch on it. I do notice a slight loss of volume on 2 and 4, but nothing that I can't live with. Those positions yield some excellent tones and more than make up for the slight loss of volume. As for setting your pickups, I suggest you start at the factory and try raising or lowering to taste and not really worry about the numbers. Just a friendly suggestion. My Shurs are my go-to gigging guitars. I use the Classic for more vintage tones. it is loaded with ML pickups. The Modern really rips. Gives me everything from great balls of fire to excellent mellow tones, clean and rich. The combination of the AX8 and the Shurs is really inspiring to play through.

Back
Top Bottom