Any STP Core album patches?

joelap

Hi, new to the forum. Very intrigued by the Axe-FX. I'm currently running a Demeter TGP-3 into a VHT poweramp in a band that does so much STP it could probably be classified as a tribute band. The TGP-3 is awesome, but we also do a lot of party-coverband stuff and the Axe-FX would certainly do a better job for that. I'm wondering if anyone has, or anyone would be willing to put together a "Core" patch, using say Wicked Garden or any of the other songs off that album as a reference. If the Axe-FX can nail that, I'm sold. Has anyone done one I could listen to, maybe post a youtube link or something? I have heard the Van Halen stuff and the Petrucci as well... sounds incredibly convincing. I don't currently own an Axe-FX but this could sell me on it!

Thanks,

Joe

bump
This was not my post but asks the questions I have.
I also am curious if there are some good STP patches available.

Cheers,
Joel

Well - let me give you my experience regarding Dean DeLeo's tones and the AxeFx. First, I have had my Axe for about 18 months and am real happy with the STP-like tones I get. That said, copping recorded DeLeo tones is difficult and is something that he doesn't even really attemp to do in a live setting.

The reason for this is only Dean and couple of other people actually know what he is using on the individual recorded tracks. Many times it is multi-layered with guitars and amps he NEVER uses live. Things like single-coiled Strats into Class A amps with 10 inch speakers are hiding in the shadows in even some of his heaviest riffs. That being said, I have focused mostly on the live tones ( I have seen Dean about 15 times in the last 15 years) which as you mentioned is based around his Demeter preamp with the VHT (is he running EL34 or 6L6 tubes - I have no idea) blended with an Vox AC30.

That being said, I have two STP patches that make up the base of STP tones. The first is a lower gain/crunch patch that is based on the Orange Rockerverb 50 amp model (which many describe as a blend of a Marshall and a Vox) with a small amount of harmonizer to widen the sound. For tracks like Plush or Interstate Love Song, an additional touch of chorus and adjustment of gain with my guitar's volume knob usually does the trick.

For the heavier stuff, I generally use the CAE 3+ amp model and EQ to taste - it gives me the right amount of crunch and clarity to cover those tones very well.

For live use, I abandoned using two signal paths (like Dean) in the Axe because I like to keep things simplified and I was able to get where I needed to go with a single amp model.

I will try to record some clips this week and post.

So here is an example of my STP Heavy Test Tones:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1084117

It is recorded with an EBMM Axis SS and double-tracked with the CAE sim in the L channel and the AC30 sim in the R channel using Redwirez cab sims (blended Greenback/V30 and Alnico Blues respectively).

The first track is the riff from Crackerman and the second is from Wicked Garden.

Let me know what you think.

I also just recorded a Plush-like tone using the Orange Rockerverb and AC30 models. A bit of chorus was added on the Orange - everything else is the same setup and neither have any post EQ other than 50% panning L/R.

I don't have the actual single-instrument tracks from the recording to compare, so I am interested in knowing what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1084117

Hi-Thanks for the clips. I haven't had much time to listen/compare but they do sound
in the ball park, nice chords too :D .

Can you post the patch/patches? I have an STP setting that I'm using for Interstate Love Song
that I'd like to a/b.

I'll post more when I have more pertinent information.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Joel

Back
Top Bottom