Any rumors about an FX8 successor?

Senor Forum

Man, I'd kill for a floor unit that has the processing power of the Axe FX III but for FX only.

After owning the Axe FX III and FM3 over the last month or so (I bought both, again... I have an issue) I realized that my favorite way to use these units is FX only into a clean amp - no amp or cab blocks ever).

The FM3 with a 6 or 12 is fine, but I'd really like more processing power on the floor.

So, any rumors? :D

I agree in that I'd like to see an updated FX8. Still have and use my original but it would be awesome with the updated efx of the ax3. I'd even welcome a modular format where FX8 'brain' would sit back with the amp and be controlled by an FC controller. It would make for a more simple 4cm and relay connection methodology (and no power routed to front of stage).

I agree in that I'd like to see an updated FX8.
The FM3 is an updated FX8. Updated effects, more power, lower price.

I'd even welcome a modular format where FX8 'brain' would sit back with the amp and be controlled by an FC controller. It would make for a more simple 4cm and relay connection methodology (and no power routed to front of stage).
You can do that with the FM3. ;)

Last edited:
To answer your question: Haven't heard (read) anything in this forum that gave me the slightest impression of any upcoming gear (whatever chatter you read in TGP or other sites is pure speculation by the public). Heck, even any hint of any upcoming FW update has been nowhere to be heard since the last 4-6 weeks and Cliff likes to tease us about it.

The FM3 is an updated FX8. Updated effects, more power, lower price.

You can do that with the Fm3. ;)

I wasn't too sure about this, but I'm glad to hear it!

Searched around but couldn't quite find if the FX8 was more or less powerful than the FM3, in terms of how many FX you could load up in a preset.

After having the FM3 and Axe FX III both TWICE now, I think I can confidently say that I'll be going back to the FM3 and sticking with it - likely with an FC12.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

Worst case, if they announce a new FX unit, I can always flip the FM3 - dat resale value, though. :D

I too would love an updated FX8 (or FX6, etc).

The FM3 is cool but it's not great for 4cm and needs more switches to be an all-in-one effects solution (and the FM9 is a bit big).

Why is it not great for 4CM? I use it 4CM and it's perfect. Do you mean the lack of switches, or something else?

It certainly works and I enjoyed it for 4cm, but the XLR out, tricky routing required to use 1/4" out, single effects loop, no amp channel switching, and not as low-noise a path as FM9 and Axe III (or FX8) make the FM9 a better option now. However I would love an FM6 (or FM0), as the 9 is cool but pretty big.

From Cliff over at TGP:

"The FM3 is not really geared towards amp integration. It's primarily intended to be a standalone solution with a single fx loop. For amp integration or multiple loops we recommend the FM9 and Axe-Fx III." link

FM3 is the one for me. But yeah I found the 9 too big as well when debating. I don't need anything more than the 3 provides luckily. Great price point for upgrade time. Had an ultra for half a decade and plan to keep the 3 just as long at least!

It certainly works and I enjoyed it for 4cm, but the XLR out, tricky routing required to use 1/4" out, single effects loop, no amp channel switching, and not as low-noise a path as FM9 and Axe III (or FX8) make the FM9 a better option now. However I would love an FM6 (or FM0), as the 9 is cool but pretty big.

From Cliff over at TGP:

"The FM3 is not really geared towards amp integration. It's primarily intended to be a standalone solution with a single fx loop. For amp integration or multiple loops we recommend the FM9 and Axe-Fx III." link
Tricky? You just need a XLR to 1/4" cable, not sure how a $12 cable is going stop you from using it with 4CM. I am using the FM3 with my tube amp and its quiet, and switching the channels too... since my amp uses midi ;)

For the OP's question, I dont see a new FX8 in the future. Not enough demand to build a separate unit, when you can get 90% of the functionality from the FM3\FM9.

If youre looking for something to do after a bong toke, fire up your online marketplace of choice and spend an hour looking for all the cables you could ever think of needing. Ever. Then u always have the solution laying around

I don't get the impression that the FX8 was all that much of a success from a business standpoint. The relatively short period of active production points to this as well. It is a great product and I am happy that I have one, but I would be surprised to see Fractal to make another tube amp oriented FX only product again.

The fraction of the market interested in a professional quality digital FX unit optimized for use with tube amplifiers is likely very small. Most tube amplifier purists want a traditional pedal board and will not buy a digital device with menus, a computer based editor, and firmware updates. Most of the players interested in the advantages of a high end digital effects processor could be easily convinced to transition to a fully digital modeling based rig.

Tube amplifiers are unmatched in raw tone quality. Digital modeling asymptotically approaches (will never EXACTLY match) the performance of analog circuits, but the Axe-FX III / FM9 / FM3 all sound practically indistinguishable from a mic'd amplifier in a blind comparison. Once you factor in the lower noise floor, reduced cable management concerns, superior reliability, consistently great sound, smaller size, lower weight, and the unparalleled tonal flexibility that modeling offers, it is easy to argue the case for a fully digital rig (especially for live use). It was the build quality, extensive flexibility, and great tones from the FX8 that pushed me over the edge to try the Axe-Fx III. Now I play the Axe-Fx 98% of the time while my tube gear goes unused. I play through my amps occasionally but honestly find the Axe-FX III to be equally (if not more) satisfying to play. If you want the sound that you get with a tube amp then get a power amp and cabinet to go with your Fractal modeler and you're set.

Last edited:
I don't get the impression that the FX8 was all that much of a success from a business standpoint. The relatively short period of active production points to this as well. It is a great product and I am happy that I have one, but I would be suppressed to see Fractal to make another tube amp oriented FX only product again.
I totally agree with your points, but it is too bad that we might not see another FX only device. There is still something about the sound of a tube amp. I had a MKII FX8, sold it because I just never was happy with how it sounded in my Rivera K7's FX loop. I ended up getting an FM3 and switched over to pure digital for the project I was using the K7 in.

Just recently, I pulled the K7 out for a new project, and damn, does it sound good. In fact, I am going to try to use one of my FM3s in its loop this weekend to see if I can figure it out. If not, I'll just wait for an FM9.

I will completely second the modeler with a power amp. The FM3 with PS 170 and a cabinet sounds pretty damn near my Savage for another project, so much so that is what I used for practice and shows. My back sure thanks me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom