Any RME Babyface Users here?

mwd

Power User
Contemplating getting a new audio interface and have been looking at the RME Babyface. Currently have 2 Focusrite Saffire 40's but am liking what I read and see with the RME and was thinking the portability might allow me to get rid of one of my Saffires.

Was wondering if there was any members that use one, what your thoughts and experiences are, pro's, con's etc.

Especially in relation to the Mark II or XL.

Thanks.

Not a BabyFace user - I use two FireFace 800's - but I can't say enough good about RME. Their drivers and software (mixers, etc.) are ROCK solid, the support group is very responsive, and they sound great. FWIW, I run analog out of my AxeFX II into the FF800, as well as an analog DI line - perfect, and as clean as the digital.

Reactions: mwd
I got myself a Babyface, with TotalMix FX software.

Man, it did cost me almost a day, but I finally start to understand the concept and controls.

The hardware is very impressive. I can enable software monitoring, disable direct monitoring and experience hardly any latency.
And it's very solid.

The manual ... hmmm. It's one of those manuals that you only start to understand (as a beginner) AFTER you made all the mistakes and scratch your head a hundred times.
For example, nowhere it's explained what the "AS" channels should represent. Had to google that.
And the way input channels are assigned to outputs, which is THE most important user interface concept, is covered in two lines at the bottom of a page. Which I missed.
My fingers are really itching to rewrite that thing.

I own a digiface and a fireface. I've always found their gear to be robust. I've had them for years, gigged extensively, never a MOMENT of problems with 'em. My stuff doesn't sound as good as my Apogee Rosetta 8, but it still sounds damn good. And the digiface has the best MIDI throughput I've ever seen. It's the only midi interface I can use live with an 88 key weighted keyboard and extensive use of the sustain pedals - all the rest of have utterly choked on the heavy datastream.

Reactions: yek
I have owned the FireFace 800 and currently have the UFX. The manuals as Yek alluded to aren't that great. Definitely google TotalMix and watch some of the videos out there. It took me a little while to get my head around it but when it all clicks you will find it a powerful piece of software. I found both units to be stellar from a hardware and driver standpoint. I have heard nothing but good things about the babyface as well.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom