Any RJM users out there? Your thoughts? I'm tempted....

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a RJM Mastermind GT/16. They're bloody expensive.

Last edited:
A perfect match for my XL. Couldn't be happier, lightweight and easy to program. Ron's support is also top notch. Having the switches you want, just like you want and where you want differently in each preset, with the name on the LCD is awesome. Plus double function and more on every switch, the 16 is just perfect for my use.

I have the GT/16 as well and I love it. Tons of power, sensible configuration, works well under your feet — it’s the best controller out there, bar none. I’ve used it to control 3 different vocal processors, two Axe-FX units, and a VG-99 simultaneously to orchestrate the effects for an entire band live, which it handled without even breaking a sweat.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a RJM Mastermind GT/16. They're bloody expensive. I just hope it is better than my disastrous Liquidfoot controller.

I made the switch from the LF to the GT16 some time ago. I had tried to explain usability issues and solutions to the LF folks, but got tired of having to be a programmer to try to get things to work.

I do not regret my decision to switch.

There's a user one in the classifieds currently. If they didn't cost more than an ax8 I would robably have one

Find a used one. it's the best controller i've ever had, and I've had a bunch, FX1 and expander, all the liquidfoot stuff, gcpro, etc.. easy to program as well.

I have a GT22. Every once in a while I think of selling it because it is overkill x 1,000 for me. But it's so awesome I can't do it! :D
-
Austin

I'm curious to what kind of problems people have been having with their LF controllers?

OMG, where do I start? I just managed to sell my LF+12+ back to a guy at the company for less than half of what I paid for it.

1. The manual is years out of date, unfinished, and very difficult to understand. They did not hire a technical writer.

2. Their PC Editor has no documentation at all beyond the patch notes. At some point Jeff wrote tooltips for it, but most of them might as well be written in Klingon.

3. Their support is equal parts inconsistent, absent, or incompetent. They'll sometimes take unreasonably long to respond to tickets, give incorrect instructions, or send incorrect programming. Only people who have received personal phone calls from Jeff seem generally satisfied.

4. The build quality of their unit is, IMO, questionable in some respects. I had two of the button LCDs fail while I owned mine. I also discovered that the light pipes for the two status LED on the top aren't actually attached - if you turn the unit over they can simply fall out. The sheet metal it's made of flexes in a way that always made me uncomfortable.

5. The firmware structure is excessively complicated, often for no apparent reason. What is the point having "pages" be different from "presets"? Why does anyone need multiple "IA Maps"? Why are there three different functions for syncing programming with the device? Nearly every firmware introduces new functions, usually with a one or two sentence explanation in the patch notes. What does it do, Jeff? Give an example?

6. Despite numerous similar complaints they never apologize for any of this. I was repeatedly told that the unit is incredibly reliable and easy to program, i.e.: "If you can't figure it out, you must be stupid". I might not be Steve Wozniak, but I have passed a couple of programming courses - I'm not stupid.

Jeff is a talented programmer, but he's a terrible business manager...

I own both the GT/22 and MFC-101. For Ace FX use, I prefer the MFC with labels for the buttons. I’m not doing any crazy programming, not changing button layouts per preset (with the axe).

The GT/22 is with my amp based w/d/w rig. That rig does have changeable programming, depending on the preset and amp in use.
The software for the RJM combined with the flexibility is exactly what I want/need in that service, and I love all of Ron’s equipment offerings that I’ve owned.

I have the GT22 for more than a year now and during that period I switched from the XL to the AX8 for few months as I wanted to shrink the rig but one of the main reasons I went back to a new XL+ was because I was missing the comfortable and "can do all" GT22.
I will not start counting the benefits (its long) but compared to ANY midi board out there (and I had many of them), non can be compared + the support is AAA+++
My setup become VERY complex lately as now I run a W/D/W rig with 2 amps and I do all these weird routing things to have in a single click a standard Axe stereo setup or 2 amps W/D/W setup, the GT22 does it all without a problem, programing is VERY easy.
It's expensive? Well, it depends compared to what and what are the benefits, good stuff cost $$$.
Fined a used one and you will not look back.

I have the GT22 for more than a year now and during that period I switched from the XL to the AX8 for few months as I wanted to shrink the rig but one of the main reasons I went back to a new XL+ was because I was missing the comfortable and "can do all" GT22.
I will not start counting the benefits (its long) but compared to ANY midi board out there (and I had many of them), non can be compared + the support is AAA+++
My setup become VERY complex lately as now I run a W/D/W rig with 2 amps and I do all these weird routing things to have in a single click a standard Axe stereo setup or 2 amps W/D/W setup, the GT22 does it all without a problem, programing is VERY easy.
It's expensive? Well, it depends compared to what and what are the benefits, good stuff cost $$$.
Fined a used one and you will not look back.
Thanks for your post. The quest is over. I just went out and bought one. I'm making my way with getting it up and running and it is so quick and easy to program. The mighty Yek has been offering his invaluable assistance. This is a great unit. I have the GT/16 which is more than enough for my needs. Yes it was expensive but it is making everything so much clearer and easier. I'm even enjoying playing more than I was before. Yay!

......oh dear...that GAS is strong in this one......I have never really bonded with my MFC 101......and my rig is complex enough that this purchase is probably justifiable.

I run my GT22 in 2 modes, standard Axe setup and as a 4CM setup running a Mesa TC-50 head for the dry sound.
When running Axe only presets the GT will look like this:

y4morXCOukgg7SvDgOIqCz-Cy8SlJflTUe5iJmT-mYWmEgSrPe6-E1st8Q8HmFwLMPauf6K1Gp-f2a8zOL45XzImTGDxW0HthKHlBKHNae69Y-8n-Xy2R2npvzN3JQpUdLePqLjVCNCuglab5N4EDl-Uk9ePIJ8tvFphfR5_5oii9iHytKXdas5_nHZ3uAxuypLTqDb3ICNejW8Jr3GjOt05w

And when I switch to the 4CM presets it will look like this:

y4mxJIJPysjs7Cd4awIfMdYqc_Y-38xegd5EBSJUAt_XjJxtnJQijfwpTSKgt7C77woU6iFfSqqxXUz8j2MPTPL972BRViMxdOAkbuXuRV53p1l2fc3EMUX-iwG3_qNjo6KcsiQpKUzXxhuAYnb6aXAYgZifpJ-GcV0ewihaicZmvRqmnnnFV0rVESys4whns1JjaG0hWE_Xyxz5IDtmdzNBQ

Of course the switches names, colors, IA, routing etc. all changes in a single click.
I can also engage / disengage the W/W (stereo return) in a single click (TC-50 FX loop) as I wish.
This board is the best out there and if you running some complex stuff and need total flexibility with zero compromise, it's the only board that will do it all and make it also easy programed.

I'm sure there are few more pro midi boards that can do similar but none is that easy, intuitive for programing + Ron's help is not less than personal all the time.

Best midi controller available for the moment.
As far as programming is concerned... the Gordius was still miles ahead.
If only Xavier had made a Gordius with the pretty little screens

Best midi controller available for the moment.
As far as programming is concerned... the Gordius was still miles ahead.
If only Xavier had made a Gordius with the pretty little screens
I agree... I don't have experience with the RJM stuff, but I've never heard of any other midi controller that allows for user defined macros, user defined variables, if/then/else logic, etc.

As for Gordius wish list stuff, I would still be using mine if only it had ability to stay synced with the Axe Fx. LCDs would be nice, too. And definitely the best form factor / button layout I've ever encountered.

The Mastermind can stay synched with Axe Fx, right?

Back
Top Bottom