Any regrets in purchasing from anyone??

Matman said:
Regrets? Not one! The Axe-Fx was literally a dream come true for me. During 30 years of playing, I had a whole host of traditional and software based systems previously - tube amps (Fender, MusicMan, GK, Marshall, Boogie... had a London Power on order...) modeling amps (Line6, Vox, Hughes & Kettner), pedal effects by the dozens, rack gear (you name it, from power strips to vintage digital to Eventide H8000) plus virtual rigs-- Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc., and then power amps, speaker cabs, and much much more.

The Axe-Fx (and my pair of Reactor FRs) satisfies to the fullest extent.

It not only gives more playing enjoyment, it cures all GAS, as you'll hear many say. Creative type? You'll love tinkering. Set it and forget it type? Spend a little time dialing it in and YOUR SOUND will be there, with room to spare for exploration if you feel inclined.

This community is also a part of the "no regrets" equation. Being able to find answers, share successes, and simply observe as others do the same is of great value to me. The "wisdom of crowds" is in full effect here. There is an overall excitement and energy I just don't find often. People LOVE this thing, and this passion is reflected in aspects of individual ownership everywhere.

As for things taking a lot of work, I do disagree. I, and many others can get great tones inside of the very first session. The thing just WORKS for my ears. I won't use words like "magic" or "monster" for fear of unfavorable comparison to stupid marketing campaigns elsewhere, but it sure makes me happy to sit with my Axe-Fx and a guitar.

Also, it's made me some great friends-- from rockstars lilke Dweezil Zappa to forum superheroes like Sean, Scott, Jay, Steve, Yek... (please don't hold it against me if you're not listed here guys!) to friendly online newcomers to people in my own neighborhood.

Zero regrets. On the contrary-- 101% "would buy again in a heartbeat."

+1

Long story short... I was a Vetta II user for 5+ years and only stumbled upon the Axe out of curiosity. After hearing clips, I went for the 15 day trial. I did not need 15 days. It took 5 mins through a rolls headphone amp into my IEM's to convince me the thing was here to stay. I A/B'd amp models with the Vetta and instantly my world of "I have good tone" was shattered. I spent a week doing that (I was on vacation in my home town) and by the end I was disgusted that I was ever satisfied with the Vetta. I only turned on the Vetta twice after that: Once to double the whammy channel on our band's demo and once to record that channel solo for future reference. Then I sold it.

I will say this though: Get good monitors. IEM's, Computer Speakers, Headphones, etc.. didn't give me a transparent view of the tone. It always sounded different when I plugged into a PA system. Got a pair of Powered Atomics and I'm in friggin' tone heaven. The Axe FX and the Atomics are, HANDS DOWN, the best purchases I've ever made. I don't have the MFC as I picked up an LF Jr second hand off the forums.

Sidivan said:
Long story short... I was a Vetta II user for 5+ years and only stumbled upon the Axe out of curiosity. After hearing clips, I went for the 15 day trial. I did not need 15 days. It took 5 mins through a rolls headphone amp into my IEM's to convince me the thing was here to stay. I A/B'd amp models with the Vetta and instantly my world of "I have good tone" was shattered. I spent a week doing that (I was on vacation in my home town) and by the end I was disgusted that I was ever satisfied with the Vetta. I only turned on the Vetta twice after that: Once to double the whammy channel on our band's demo and once to record that channel solo for future reference. Then I sold it.

I will say this though: Get good monitors. IEM's, Computer Speakers, Headphones, etc.. didn't give me a transparent view of the tone. It always sounded different when I plugged into a PA system. Got a pair of Powered Atomics and I'm in friggin' tone heaven. The Axe FX and the Atomics are, HANDS DOWN, the best purchases I've ever made. I don't have the MFC as I picked up an LF Jr second hand off the forums.

Thanks!! Sold. Can't get much more of a recommedation that that! And thanks to everyone; A pleasure to meet you and I really appreciate all the advice, support and guidance throughout. End of GAS, end of a long never-ending search is my dream that sure feels like it's going to be reality.

I just received word the my ultra is on it way today! - next step is the Atomic wedges or cabs; - what did you go with if I may ask? I'm thinking the cabs as I like my guitar behind me, but still not 100% sure....

Funny how just last night I was going through a few of my patches on my vetta due to the "harshness syndrome" I call it, after a gig on New Years (and almost every gig it seemed) and got frustrated as hell again thinking I was playing through a tin can trying to add/find any warmth I could. it's so old my friends.....

Thanks again to all, appreciate all your time and effort in responding to one of the newbies....

Best regards -

Grant :D

I went with wedges. I've never been a big fan of speakers pointed at my knees (I used to tilt the Vetta cab). Gigging with the wedges I've found that on small stages, one wedge is not enough for a monitor if you put it behind you. It works great off to the side or in front though. I really bought them for dialing in accurate tones though, which they totally kick ass at. One probably would've been enough, but a stereo chorus through two is something everyone should experience once in their life.

I went with wedges. I've never been a big fan of speakers pointed at my knees (I used to tilt the Vetta cab). Gigging with the wedges I've found that on small stages, one wedge is not enough for a monitor if you put it behind you. It works great off to the side or in front though. I really bought them for dialing in accurate tones though, which they totally kick ass at. One probably would've been enough, but a stereo chorus through two is something everyone should experience once in their life.

How true....thanks. Life is short. agreed....

So I got my ultra earlier this week and all I can say is holy SH*T; finally the tone and dynamics in one package I've been searching for; 5 minutes after I got it hooked up to a PA head - monitor combo (powered Carvin RX1200 and two JBL JRX112's) was probably not even what I needed to know that this thing blows any rig I've had in the past. The tone is there; the dynamics are there; and the availability of any amp or effect I've ever wanted are there. Initially tried my Return on the Vetta II combo and no go, (another sign to retire that thing) and grabbed part of my pa setup.

Thanks again to all for the comments, advice and tips. I've got a lot to learn as many of you have stated, but what a worthwhile cause.....Just as you've said Sidivan, my Vetta's days are numbered as your's were. Since I don't have a controller yet and some Atomics, it probably has only a few gigs left in it's lifetime while I get the other gear and do a lot of homework....

I too have been gigging with Vetta II's for about 4 years and there are a lot of similar experiences to mine in this thread. Before I actually placed my order for an Ultra I was reading the magazine advertisements and hardware reviews for a good year or so, what tipped the balance for me was a trio of: Sam Hill & Peter Autschbach videos on-line (these guys should get some sort of sales commission!); the MCF-101 in production; major artist endorsements. I own one active Atomic cab which I am delighted with and will buy a second when funds allow. Just waiting patiently in the MCF-101 queue too....

How true....thanks. Life is short. agreed....

So I got my ultra earlier this week and all I can say is holy SH*T; finally the tone and dynamics in one package I've been searching for; 5 minutes after I got it hooked up to a PA head - monitor combo (powered Carvin RX1200 and two JBL JRX112's) was probably not even what I needed to know that this thing blows any rig I've had in the past. The tone is there; the dynamics are there; and the availability of any amp or effect I've ever wanted are there. Initially tried my Return on the Vetta II combo and no go, (another sign to retire that thing) and grabbed part of my pa setup.

Thanks again to all for the comments, advice and tips. I've got a lot to learn as many of you have stated, but what a worthwhile cause.....Just as you've said Sidivan, my Vetta's days are numbered as your's were. Since I don't have a controller yet and some Atomics, it probably has only a few gigs left in it's lifetime while I get the other gear and do a lot of homework....

Welcome to tone heaven! I let one of my guitar friends plug into my rig and he said, "You know how people say you have to play from your heart? This thing actually lets you do that."

You need to think seriously whether you will miss your GAS! Be prepared to be completely cured. It is a very peculiar feeling for a while, ignoring guitar stores and not trolling the net for the next latest thing. If your anything like me, you'll spend far more time actually playing guitar than your used to, and for me, that makes me a better player. End of story.

Cheers to all.

I was "kinda" told by THE man who setup Ty Tabor's Axe FX, and is now doing Doug Pinnick's, has done Steve Vai, John Petrucci, RUSH, and Dweezil Zappa, to name a few...that it's the only thing they use now. Almost ALL of them use it singularly now, almost without exception.

If its good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

It completely cured my GAS. It WILL take a few moments of your time for sure. Think of Less as " I can get all these guys tones and it will sound just like their album!" , and more like " I have all the amps( effects, cabs, mics, bla bla bla) I could ever want, and more, but never afford, have space for, etc... Now I can dial in any tone Ive ever wanted.

I would recommend new cables, guitar, and midi, and a new foot controller. Get a NICE power amp if you want to go live with it. Other than that, good luck.

I heard that Ty told Matman "I nailed the Gretchen tone!" and is using the Axe exclusively. And if Doug Pinnick is using it for Bass, well....

Lets just say I have only had it for a month or two now, and I was more than sold before any of this information came to me.

Worth every penny. I don't even turn on my Carvin guitar or bass rigs anymore. I only turn on my Pod X3Pro to copy over a patch now and then.

I have had many amps through the years and have spent thousands of dollars chasing the perfect sound from Crate, to Line6, to recto, and finally to mesa Mark V. I did not even know the Axe FX existed. I kept spending money changing guitars and amps with no satisfaction. I have had the Mark V for 3 months now and just put it on Craigslist after 1 day with the Ultra.

At this point in my life money is secondary if I can get the sound in my head. The ultra is in place and the atomic cab is on the way. I feel I can end the search journey and take my playing to the next level. Words cannot explain the joy of having such an engineering marvel!

So, regrets... well perhaps for 5 seconds until I pay the credit card bill lol No chance!

I love mine but from a practical standpoint, this is the wrong place to look if you want to find unsatisfied customers.

I'm with you all....

Turning on my Vetta II combo after playing around with this new marvel of engineering as stated after a couple of weeks was like turning on a blender that had a spoon stuck in it....

I've had lots of gear, in more than 20 years of working as a guitarist. I've had many of the best amps (Vox AC30, Marshall JCM800, JCM900, Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+, Lone Star Special, Fender Bassman, Twin Reverb, just to name a few), lots of effects (GForce, Gsystem, many pedals...). I never sounded as good as with the Fractal Axe. No doubt. After more than 2 years with it, it has been improving more and more with every update, and I can say without any doubt it has been my best purchase ever. No regrets at all.

I've had lots of gear, in more than 20 years of working as a guitarist. I've had many of the best amps (Vox AC30, Marshall JCM800, JCM900, Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+, Lone Star Special, Fender Bassman, Twin Reverb, just to name a few), lots of effects (GForce, Gsystem, many pedals...). I never sounded as good as with the Fractal Axe. No doubt. After more than 2 years with it, it has been improving more and more with every update, and I can say without any doubt it has been my best purchase ever. No regrets at all.

Awesome; keep rocking it!!!

I got my ultra about a year ago and really regret not getting it sooner. I had a line 6 Vetta and it was horrible at cutting live and sounded digital. Then I bought a Peavey JSX nice but too much feedback. Then I bought a Marshall JVM 410h and it was harsh had to mod the crap out of it including adding a choke and output tranny but weighed several hundred lbs in the racks with decimator, gcx audio switcher, g-major , pedal drawer etc. I very much regret i knew about the Axe before my JVM purchase but didnt believe the hype because of being burned by line 6. I blame Line 6 for giving digital amp modelling a bad rep. I still have a Marshall JCM 800 from the 80's i keep around for sentimental reasons mostly.

I got my ultra about a year ago and really regret not getting it sooner. I had a line 6 Vetta and it was horrible at cutting live and sounded digital. Then I bought a Peavey JSX nice but too much feedback. Then I bought a Marshall JVM 410h and it was harsh had to mod the crap out of it including adding a choke and output tranny but weighed several hundred lbs in the racks with decimator, gcx audio switcher, g-major , pedal drawer etc. I very much regret i knew about the Axe before my JVM purchase but didnt believe the hype because of being burned by line 6. I blame Line 6 for giving digital amp modelling a bad rep. I still have a Marshall JCM 800 from the 80's i keep around for sentimental reasons mostly.

God I know what you mean. at least we are here now....I can't recall how many times I thought I had it nailed going through my vetta rig to only hear a recording or walking out to hear the FOH and being extremely disappointed....I wish I kept my JCM 800 even just for "sentimental reasons"! Sold it to a bandmate year back who let it go to hell....
what are you playing your ultra through??

Back
Top Bottom