Any regrets in purchasing from anyone??

GBM

Inspired
Been on the fence for awhile now, but am so close in putting the funds together.....anyone have problems pulling the trigger then be completely satisfied that it was the right move??

Thinking of retiring my old Vetta II rig which as served me well but never had everything I wanted nor the 'magic' as often as we all crave. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Getting it set up and to taste is a lot of work.

I need about 50 presets to cover everything I was doing before the AxeFx.

It can be done, but it isn't easy at times.

It is a complex machine and for those of us that are not computer gurus it often is difficult to figure out.

Luckily this forum exists to help as does the Wiki links.

If you frustrate easy or want something that is plug and play, this isn't for you.

I am paring down from a 21 space rack full of Lexicon and Eventide units that had slaved amp heads feeding it. I can create just a good, if not better, tones on the Axe Fx.

The ability to mimic anything is the key here, but it takes work and research to get there.

Keep in mind the Axe Fx is just the beginning, then you have to think about the MFC101 or other controller, expression pedals, what you will use to amplify the sound, rack case, etc......

Since I began I have purchased:

Axe Fx Ultra
MFC 101
Mission Control Ep-1 exp pedal
7 pin midi cable
Pair FBT Verve 12ma monitors
8 space rack case
3 space rack drawer to transport MRF101 in

I already had my Furman power conditioner. :roll:

No regrets, but I had not been using it much until the latest update, which for me was finally the good one :cool:

If you then want to "know everything" (you don't really have to) and read up on all "Cliff notes" and Wiki, you can count on being busy 24/24 for a good month or so :mrgreen:

miles above the vetta.. had the same rig, went to the triaxis 2:90 then to the axe-fx. I got sick of tubes.. been tube free for a few years now.

Appreciate the replies gents! Seems homework isn't such a bad thing, if the results are worth the efforts. I am a tinkerer, love technology, so it seems that its dumb not to....by the way as if the god's were telling me to get on with it, my lcd panel on my vetta just went out.....

question for anyone that can help; I also ran stereo with a vetta ext cab (2x12 open back) do you think that the speakers in that unit which I would assume are full range speakers, would work well? just grab a power amp and at least start that way? I'd like to get an MFC controller too, but it seems that they are way behind the supply/demand curve. What's the best alternative? Liquid foot or?

Thanks again and Happy New Year's to you all; May 2011 bring you all much musical happiness!!

GM :mrgreen:

dpeterson said:
miles above the vetta.. had the same rig, went to the triaxis 2:90 then to the axe-fx. I got sick of tubes.. been tube free for a few years now.

Cool; what do you play through? wondering if I should go all in and try the active atomics

GBM said:
I'd like to get an MFC controller too, but it seems that they are way behind the supply/demand curve. What's the best alternative? Liquid foot or?

i'd stay away from liquid foot. i was trying to get one of them for many months but gave up. ended up getting the gordius little giant 2 and no regrets there at all. programming is an absolute breeze, customer support is A1.

geamala said:
GBM said:
I'd like to get an MFC controller too, but it seems that they are way behind the supply/demand curve. What's the best alternative? Liquid foot or?

i'd stay away from liquid foot. i was trying to get one of them for many months but gave up. ended up getting the gordius little giant 2 and no regrets there at all. programming is an absolute breeze, customer support is A1.

IMHO Liquid-foot is surely a very good alternative. Yes they had some problems: long waiting list, software errors, but the most ennoying was the complete silence from Jeff.

That has changed recently. Jeff Is back on track with New firmware which has better and easier communication with the Axe-FX than before. just look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6EpWsqynE

GBM said:
Been on the fence for awhile now, but am so close in putting the funds together.....anyone have problems pulling the trigger then be completely satisfied that it was the right move??

Thinking of retiring my old Vetta II rig which as served me well but never had everything I wanted nor the 'magic' as often as we all crave. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Given the fact that you own a digital device (the vetta II was my previous setup), I can asure you that you will be blown away with the Axe-Fx and will get in 5 min. much much better sounds out of it.

voes said:
geamala said:
GBM said:

IMHO Liquid-foot is surely a very good alternative. Yes they had some problems: long waiting list, software errors, but the most ennoying was the complete silence from Jeff.

That has changed recently. Jeff Is back on track with New firmware which has better and easier communication with the Axe-FX than before. just look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6EpWsqynE

GBM said:

Given the fact that you own a digital device (the vetta II was my previous setup), I can asure you that you will be blown away with the Axe-Fx and will get in 5 min. much much better sounds out of it.

Now you've got me beyond excited; thanks again everyone chiming in; Played a new year's gig with my vetta rig last night went out to the FOH with my wireless and had that shrill go down the back of my spine listening to one of my patches just thinking, eeek!!!! how tinny my tone was. Believe it or not, I ordered mine during a break.... next is the controller and an amp/cab setup. anyone know how back-ordered Fractal is on their controller? any of you have atomic eqpt? thinking 1X12 cab from them either powered or non isn't enough; two actives is a pretty penny. all advice is much appreciated!

luke said:

It is a complex machine and for those of us that are not computer gurus it often is difficult to figure out.

If you frustrate easy or want something that is plug and play, this isn't for you.

I am paring down from a 21 space rack full of Lexicon and Eventide units that had slaved amp heads feeding it. I can create just a good, if not better, tones on the Axe Fx.

The ability to mimic anything is the key here, but it takes work and research to get there.

Keep in mind the Axe Fx is just the beginning, then you have to think about the MFC101 or other controller, expression pedals, what you will use to amplify the sound, rack case, etc......

Axe Fx Ultra
MFC 101
7 pin midi cable
8 space rack case

Thanks!! - how did you settle on the FBT Verves? do you play with them facing you as monitors or behind you? Looks like Im on the the train now as I bought my ultra last night...

No regrets but after trying several configurations I've come the realization that I prefer the simplicity and immediacy of a real amp in the room. I also find it difficult to get my 1x12 stage monitor to feed back like a 2x12 guitar cab. I'll probably be moving back to a channel switching head soon and keeping the Axe just for FX.

Regrets? Not one! The Axe-Fx was literally a dream come true for me. During 30 years of playing, I had a whole host of traditional and software based systems previously - tube amps (Fender, MusicMan, GK, Marshall, Boogie... had a London Power on order...) modeling amps (Line6, Vox, Hughes & Kettner), pedal effects by the dozens, rack gear (you name it, from power strips to vintage digital to Eventide H8000) plus virtual rigs-- Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc., and then power amps, speaker cabs, and much much more.

The Axe-Fx (and my pair of Reactor FRs) satisfies to the fullest extent.

It not only gives more playing enjoyment, it cures all GAS, as you'll hear many say. Creative type? You'll love tinkering. Set it and forget it type? Spend a little time dialing it in and YOUR SOUND will be there, with room to spare for exploration if you feel inclined.

This community is also a part of the "no regrets" equation. Being able to find answers, share successes, and simply observe as others do the same is of great value to me. The "wisdom of crowds" is in full effect here. There is an overall excitement and energy I just don't find often. People LOVE this thing, and this passion is reflected in aspects of individual ownership everywhere.

As for things taking a lot of work, I do disagree. I, and many others can get great tones inside of the very first session. The thing just WORKS for my ears. I won't use words like "magic" or "monster" for fear of unfavorable comparison to stupid marketing campaigns elsewhere, but it sure makes me happy to sit with my Axe-Fx and a guitar.

Also, it's made me some great friends-- from rockstars lilke Dweezil Zappa to forum superheroes like Sean, Scott, Jay, Steve, Yek... (please don't hold it against me if you're not listed here guys!) to friendly online newcomers to people in my own neighborhood.

Zero regrets. On the contrary-- 101% "would buy again in a heartbeat."

No regrets except that years ago I should have gone with the AxeFx and not the G-System :roll:.

Switching from tube amps to the AxeFx took no time to get used to in the studio, but live it took me a few months to get comfortable. This was also because I was switching to FRFR. Totally worth it tough. I'm happy now and the sounds and options I have available to me have never been better and my rig hasn't been this portable in decades... actually, ever.

Matman said:
Regrets? Not one! The Axe-Fx was literally a dream come true for me. During 30 years of playing, I had a whole host of traditional and software based systems previously - tube amps (Fender, MusicMan, GK, Marshall, Boogie... had a London Power on order...) modeling amps (Line6, Vox, Hughes & Kettner), pedal effects by the dozens, rack gear (you name it, from power strips to vintage digital to Eventide H8000) plus virtual rigs-- Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc., and then power amps, speaker cabs, and much much more.

The Axe-Fx (and my pair of Reactor FRs) satisfies to the fullest extent.

It not only gives more playing enjoyment, it cures all GAS, as you'll hear many say. Creative type? You'll love tinkering. Set it and forget it type? Spend a little time dialing it in and YOUR SOUND will be there, with room to spare for exploration if you feel inclined.

This community is also a part of the "no regrets" equation. Being able to find answers, share successes, and simply observe as others do the same is of great value to me. The "wisdom of crowds" is in full effect here. There is an overall excitement and energy I just don't find often. People LOVE this thing, and this passion is reflected in aspects of individual ownership everywhere.

As for things taking a lot of work, I do disagree. I, and many others can get great tones inside of the very first session. The thing just WORKS for my ears. I won't use words like "magic" or "monster" for fear of unfavorable comparison to stupid marketing campaigns elsewhere, but it sure makes me happy to sit with my Axe-Fx and a guitar.

Also, it's made me some great friends-- from rockstars lilke Dweezil Zappa to forum superheroes like Sean, Scott, Jay, Steve, Yek... (please don't hold it against me if you're not listed here guys!) to friendly online newcomers to people in my own neighborhood.

Zero regrets. On the contrary-- 101% "would buy again in a heartbeat."

You just made my day; thanks a ton for all the info, advice and guidance; Using the term "no regrets" hit home as that's the name of my band....

Excited as hell to get my new Ultra,

GM

P.S. - did you go with active atomic wedges or cabs? Looking at gettng two myself; Was going to run the ultra straight into my Vetta II combo's return to start the learning process, but since I already jumped, I might as well jump in the whole way and go full in.

tgunn said:
No regrets except that years ago I should have gone with the AxeFx and not the G-System :roll:.

Switching from tube amps to the AxeFx took no time to get used to in the studio, but live it took me a few months to get comfortable. This was also because I was switching to FRFR. Totally worth it tough. I'm happy now and the sounds and options I have available to me have never been better and my rig hasn't been this portable in decades... actually, ever.

Funny, i was about to buy one last month and go back to a tube amp setup; For the money of the G-System, seems that either of the Axe's make a lot more sense. Glad you are happy now and thank for the comments; Your rig is where I want to be. What did you decide on for cab/s & amp if I may ask. thanks again.

GBM said:
Funny, i was about to buy one last month and go back to a tube amp setup; For the money of the G-System, seems that either of the Axe's make a lot more sense. Glad you are happy now and thank for the comments; Your rig is where I want to be. What did you decide on for cab/s & amp if I may ask. thanks again.
For cabs, I have two or perhaps three options. I have 2x passive Atomic Reactors that I pair up with a Rocktron Velocity 300. It sounds good but after a while I started longing for something smaller. The reactors aren't heavy but there's no handle on the sides, so you kinda have to use both hands to carry one (which in my case means 3 trips for the full rig). Setting up and tearing down several times a week, not playing in loud bands (most of the time) and not playing big venues got me thinking. So, I got an FBT 8ma and it's great! It's so small yet powerful and it sounds great. I now use it for pop, rock and dance stuff (yeah, I mean dance). I'm also into metal and for that, the 8ma is not enough. Since I was in my honeymoon period with the 8ma, I got a 12ma too :) So, what I'm still evaluating is: reactors+velocity, 8ma, 12ma, 8ma+12ma. The reactor's are great but I wish they were as handy as the FBTs.

tgunn said:
GBM said:
For cabs, I have two or perhaps three options. I have 2x passive Atomic Reactors that I pair up with a Rocktron Velocity 300. It sounds good but after a while I started longing for something smaller. The reactors aren't heavy but there's no handle on the sides, so you kinda have to use both hands to carry one (which in my case means 3 trips for the full rig). Setting up and tearing down several times a week, not playing in loud bands (most of the time) and not playing big venues got me thinking. So, I got an FBT 8ma and it's great! It's so small yet powerful and it sounds great. I now use it for pop, rock and dance stuff (yeah, I mean dance). I'm also into metal and for that, the 8ma is not enough. Since I was in my honeymoon period with the 8ma, I got a 12ma too :) So, what I'm still evaluating is: reactors+velocity, 8ma, 12ma, 8ma+12ma. The reactor's are great but I wish they were as handy as the FBTs.

Very cool!! sounds like you've got it covered! I see what you mean about the portability. I have a couple of road cases for my vetta combo and and extension cab. I need what ever I get to fit in there if possible. looking at the dimensions of the Atomics, it doesn't look like it will work. The 8ma and 12 ma's look like they will.....did you decide to go with amp/reactor cabs for price, sound or technology?

Just a leap of faith based on many reviews.

That and my fiancée is originally from Italy so an easier sell on home front.

GBM said:
luke said:

Axe Fx Ultra
MFC 101
7 pin midi cable
8 space rack case

Thanks!! - how did you settle on the FBT Verves? do you play with them facing you as monitors or behind you? Looks like Im on the the train now as I bought my ultra last night...

GBM said:
Very cool!! sounds like you've got it covered! I see what you mean about the portability. I have a couple of road cases for my vetta combo and and extension cab. I need what ever I get to fit in there if possible. looking at the dimensions of the Atomics, it doesn't look like it will work. The 8ma and 12 ma's look like they will.....did you decide to go with amp/reactor cabs for price, sound or technology?
Price and sound yes but not so sure that technology mattered much. I got the passive (as opposed to active) reactors for two reasons. I didn't want a tube amp and I didn't want the cabs to be too heavy or unbalanced. As far as sound goes, I did my research and eventually decided to take my chances on the velocity. It does work well, but I haven't tried other poweramps with the reactors. It's entirely possible that the active reactors sound better than the passive reactors+the velocity.
Another thing that in retrospect is ironic is that while I wanted to go "no tubes", I didn't fully trust ss amps with guitar tone :roll: so the features on the velocity were a bit of a "compromise" I made with myself ;) It's a good amp though, so no regrets. If I were looking now, I'd probably look into the mosfet amps being discussed in the forum, but I'd still consider the velocity. As it happens though, I'm not looking for more speakers/amps anymore. Maybe if Atomic came out with an active wedge that's lightweight, SS powered and easier to lug around (no extruding parts or knobs, sturdier handles and handles on the sides).

Back
Top Bottom