Any regrets coming from a AXE FX II?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I don't use dual amp or cab sims and just wondering how many are missing the extra chipset of the Axe Fx II?

I have absolutely no regret. I do use cab sims but no dual amp. I am using a lot of FX but if you do small tweaks you can get 95% of all presets made in Axe Fx II over to AX8. I almost exclusively use the AX8 now both for rehearsals and live gigs due to less weight, versatile etc.. Trust me go for it you won't be disappointed.

The extra chipset is not a big issue if you don't need very complicated patches and routing...
I miss a lot global blocks... in particular for amp block.
Because live I use a couple of amps in a lot of patches and when I edit the amp block I have to replicate my modification in every patch.

The extra chipset is not a big issue if you don't need very complicated patches and routing...
Because live I use a couple of amps in a lot of patches and when I edit the amp block I have to replicate my modification in every patch.
That blows. Wonder why they don't have global blocks for duplication?

Excellent thread Tremonti... myself abit curious getting a AX8 for a "grab and go" rig, but being too happy and spoiled with all the AXE FX II gives me I am slightly reluctant to spend that money...

keep em coming guys...

No regrets. Had the second gig last weekend with the Ax8 (had a AxeFx II, MK1)...I don't need a second amp block, and I don't have a very complicated preset.
Lightweight, small, absolutely roadworthy, pristine sound. All I need.

As others said I miss global blocks but that is not a deal breaker for me. I had to make some changes to my ax presets but they were over build. I have no regrets

I have absolutely no regrets about buying an AX8 (still have the rack Axe II on my desk, but it doesn't travel anymore). For some reason, I never took to using globals, so no issue for me. The AX8 dev team has been extremely responsive, and has accommodated nearly every wish the users have tossed their way. I especially love the AX8 for it's approach to switching, which is intuitive and effortless.

No regrets at all. Longtime FX user, I bought the AX8 for two main reasons. 1. Reduce the wear and tear on my FX from gigging with it. 2. Ease of use that still has the incomparable tones. I had 2 presets that used dual amps, and yes during some song performances I do miss them, but not really all that much. I found other tones that work and are just as satisfying, so I guess I really don't miss them all that much after all. I am very happy with the AX8.

None! Another long time Axe FX user and sold it to help fund the AX8 and to be honest at first I thought I might have made a mistake but now that I am comfortable with it I don't miss the Axe FX. All of the functionality and mojo aside from a few of the things I never used is there with less to carry around!

Even though the Axe FX can be used for a live gig, when compared to the AX8 I see it more as a studio piece now.

I'm in a similar boat. Sold my II for one of the first AX8's and sold it and upgraded to the XL. Over this year it has gotten some nice improvements to its functionality and they update it much faster now. I'm still holding off for global blocks and that extra stuff the XL provides. I think it takes a commitment to just making yourself stick with it for awhile. I do hope at somepoint a comparable floor XL model is released. Its certainly hard resisting the price of the AX8 and its form factor though. Plus you could almost use two of them if you wanted to...

Not sure if it is still the case, but Cliff said they were looking into global blocks for amps only.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-after-a-week-ive-to-say.117272/#post-1399352

Last edited:
I do miss not having 2 Amp blocks; that made for seamless switching on the AFX. Although with the CS blocks and Scene Controllers I can get close, it was easier to just have two blocks that I could dial in directly. I use x/y when I need two totally different amps but would rather have 2 amp blocks. I never used Global blocks, so don't miss them at all. I'm good w/ using Spring reverb to conserve CPU; it's perfectly fine for live use and I never miss using the other algorithms. It did take a little while to get used to not being able to have all my fx in one preset like in the AFX but now I don't even think about it. I also wish that the Volume +/- function on the AX8 was seamless - there's a significant glitch when it saves the preset (much worse than x/y switching). The AFX has enough power to do instantaneous saves which is great when you're live and need to adjust something quickly.

On the other hand, I love the flexibility of the IA switch layout where I can have whatever function wherever I want it, compared to the MFC where you're mostly committed to one layout. And I love having direct access to the amp knobs while I'm playing instead of having to go into a menu. And to edit any other effect, just step on the footswitch for it and the Edit button takes you straight there. Very cool feature.

Bottom line, no regrets. There are a few tradeoffs, but I'm quite satisfied with the AX8 as my live rig.

No regrets. All of my presets were easy to duplicate on the AX8. I love the functionality of the pedal board vs the GCP that I use for my Axe II and Ultra.

No regrets at all - the only thing I really miss is Global Blocks, but I knew that the AX8 didn't have them (with no promise of getting them) going in.

I was nervous going in after reading a few threads about people hitting the CPU threshold, as well as people using external reverb pedals to reduce CPU load, but I haven't hit those limits yet.

I have made some small adjustments, but nothing major. The main one is I've gone from two drive blocks down to one. To be honest, even though I had two drive blocks in my AFX II patches, I only ever used one. I used scene controllers to vary the amp gain or input trim to give me my various gain stages. The drive block was really just a clean boost to push the amp harder. The same thing can be achieved with Filter blocks and/or PEQ blocks which take up much less CPU.

Having everything built into the one unit is simply fantastic. I'm finding I have more flexibility compared to my AFXII + MFC setup, mainly because you can assign switches per preset and there is the push and hold for X/Y function. Maybe I didn't explore the MFC far enough, but I felt a bit restricted as you had to assign the footswitches, so even if a preset didn't have a certain effect, you wasted a footswitch as it was already pre-assigned. Similarly there may be an effect you don't use often but is called up in a certain preset, you may not have an IA assigned on the MFC but the AX8 you can do that.

not really any regrets, it's so intuitive and I love the footswitch layout.
The only thing I miss is the 2nd cab block that I would use as a ToneMatch of my EJ Strat on quack to Humbucker.

I use the AX8 much more than the AXE II, but still love firing it up.

Back
Top Bottom