Any Porcupine Tree Fans?

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
Kicking myself that I only discovered these guys a few years after they were done, so I never got to see them live. Gavin Harrison..., what an amazing, dynamic, fantastic drummer, evidenced by this mind-blowing fill, and Richard's sly smile!!

Any others here dig these guys, saw them live, write music like them?

Yes! Such a great band. I know Steven charts his own course and follows the path
his Muse lays out for him, but damn I sometimes wish he had the guys in PT
to bounce off of rather than the precarious solipsism of his own noggin. ;)

I have dabbled in getting some PT-era Steven Wilson tones out of the Hot Cat
model with my PRS. Close!! Maybe something worth of you diving into and exploring
for a video @2112

Last edited:
HUGE fan and saw them more times than I can count all over the US as well as Germany.

i like Steve Wilson’s solo stuff (and have seen him from Montreal to Dallas and many many points in between) but I do miss the PT stuff.

They're one of my favorites. I stumbled upon them years ago. I got a chance to hear them live only once in a theater in Los Angeles. It was a good show, but I honestly preferred their studio work. (May have just been a bad evening at the mixing desk.)

Love the earlier stuff, anything up through around Stupid Dream. Not as into the heavier/alt rock (although some of it is really good). Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34, etc is killer. I've only seen them once, opening for Yes in Philly 2002. I've written a couple things in the earlier styles, but mostly based around the "open F on the 5th fret" vibe that he loves ;-)

Also +1000 for the Fish album "Sunsets on Empire" which SW is all over. (Fish the ex-singer from Marillion)

I keep trying to be!

For about 15 years now I've tried to become a PT fan; meaning I'll listen to a bunch of their work in hopes just one song will grab me enough to reel me in but it never happens. The closest it got was "Sleep With No Dream" or whatever it's called, that's a killer song! It's just a timing thing, it'll happen eventually. I was the same way with Between The Buried And Me; kept trying to dig them for years and then one day it clicked.

Massive fan of Steven W, i have seen Procupine Tree 2 times. But i also love his solo stuff. I love the Hand Cannot Erase album. I hope he uses Ninet Tayeb on the next album (she have a nice voice) and Guthrie Govan...he adds so much to the sound. The solo on Regret #9 ..just wow, hits all the right notes! Gets me every time.

Steven also recorded 2 (i think) Opeth albums :)

I keep trying to be!
My cousin tried turning me on to Dream Theater when Images and Words came out, and I already knew (and liked) Pull Me Under (prob from eMpTyV), but was like, meh, to the rest of the album. Then one night hanging with guys in another band, they would use New Millenium (from Falling into Infinity album) to tune their PA, and I was like, Who ARE these guys? Their music just completely floored me from that point on (till just a few songs into A Dramatic Turn of Events, which is right after Portnoy left.)

It may happen; It may not. I've tried several times to like their releases with Mike Mangini, but aside from a few songs that I like a little, it just ain't happening. And until I discovered Muse, they were my favorite band, by far.

As for PT, I think it was a You Tube suggestion..., I remember the song was Time Flies, and I instantly dug it. Just a nice blend for me of all the prog elements I love. Then I learned about Gavin Harrison...! My vocabulary is simply not deep enough to find adjectives that describe how amazing I feel he is! I tell guys who argue over which Mike in DT is better, that if Gavin Harrison had auditioned, we'd never even had those discussions (although probably not, since I kinda think MM had an edge over everyone else going in, tbh.)

I'm jealous of you guys who have seen PT live. I need to go deeper into their catalogue.
Thanks for chiming in!

I saw John Wesley (PT’s touring guitarist) at a small venue in Annapolis MD a few years ago and he was outstanding. Had a chance to talk to him for a bit and he was an all around good dude.

Also I saw The Pineapple Thief (if you like Porcupine Tree you should check them out) also at a fairly small venue in Baltimore and Gavin Harrison was drumming for them. I probably spent more time paying attention to what he was playing the whole show rather than the entire band. To watch Gavin play from about 50 feet away is one hell of an experience.

I saw John Wesley (PT’s touring guitarist) at a small venue in Annapolis MD a few years ago and he was outstanding. Had a chance to talk to him for a bit and he was an all around good dude.

Also I saw The Pineapple Thief (if you like Porcupine Tree you should check them out) also at a fairly small venue in Baltimore and Gavin Harrison was drumming for them. I probably spent more time paying attention to what he was playing the whole show rather than the entire band. To watch Gavin play from about 50 feet away is one hell of an experience.
Damn, we must be close! I grew up in Annapolis. You probably mean Ram's Head...? That must've been a trip (like my Moving Pictures concert @ Capitol Centre, 7th row)

Damn, we must be close! I grew up in Annapolis. You probably mean Ram's Head...? That must've been a trip (like my Moving Pictures concert @ Capitol Centre, 7th row)
Ya man ! Rams Head indeed ! That and the 0930 Club in DC (and maybe Baltimore Soundstage) are my favorite small venues.

Ive seen Porcupine Tree at the Baltimore Rams Head (I‘d call that a medium sized venue) as well as Steven Wilson a few times there. And I think SW twice at the 0930.

Yeah I've seen a few great bands at Ram's Head. You're like at a table, and they're playing not 10 feet from you! 930 Club is where I first (and 3rd) saw Dream Theater. Never been to Baltimore Soundstage, but saw Crack The Sky a couple times at the Ram's Head in Baltimore. (One's Ram's Head Live, and one's Ram's Head On Stage, but I can never remember which is which.)

I'd love to see whatever band Gavin is in, but last time I checked (pre Covid), I don't think he was even doing anything.

In Absentia does it for me... Great stuff.

Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing is pretty great. Has Guthrie Govan, Marco Minneman and Nick Beggs on it.

A friend and former bandmate of mine had played me some PT many years ago and it didn't resonate... But a few years later I saw a video of a drum clinic with a drummer playing to tracks. I started watching it because the drummer was outstanding, but as I was listening I was really digging the song.

Turns out it was Gavin playing The Sound of Muzak. Bought the album immediately :)

Yeah I've seen a few great bands at Ram's Head. You're like at a table, and they're playing not 10 feet from you! 930 Club is where I first (and 3rd) saw Dream Theater. Never been to Baltimore Soundstage, but saw Crack The Sky a couple times at the Ram's Head in Baltimore. (One's Ram's Head Live, and one's Ram's Head On Stage, but I can never remember which is which.)

I'd love to see whatever band Gavin is in, but last time I checked (pre Covid), I don't think he was even doing anything.

He was (or maybe still is ?) in King Crimson but recorded the last few The Pineapple Thief albums and toured with them.

I always get confused by the various “Rams Head”‘s as well :)

One thing for sure though - we have an insane amount of venues here in the greater DC-Baltimore area. The last show I saw was March of 2020 right before the world closed down…front row seats for Eric Johnson in Silver Springs at the Fillmore.

In Absentia does it for me... Great stuff.

Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing is pretty great. Has Guthrie Govan, Marco Minneman and Nick Beggs on it.

A friend and former bandmate of mine had played me some PT many years ago and it didn't resonate... But a few years later I saw a video of a drum clinic with a drummer playing to tracks. I started watching it because the drummer was outstanding, but as I was listening I was really digging the song.

Turns out it was Gavin playing The Sound of Muzak. Bought the album immediately :)

When I turn musician friends onto Porcupine Tree I always play “The Sound of Muzak”.
My non-musician friends always get “Trains”.

Works all the time.

Gavin is an official member of The Pineapple Thief now, not just a hired gun. This is a pretty cool video of him playing part of White Mist, which is a track off of Dissolution. If you like live concert DVDs, I'd recommend picking up Where We Stood, which was recorded on I think the first tour Gavin did with them. As a guitarist, I would have been fine with the camera being on Gavin the whole time :D

Back
Top Bottom