Any plans for a small stomp AX4?

You mean just like Blackberry owns the corporate phone market and Apple has no chance for pretty any success with the iPhone, as it was in 2007? Being first to market in a segment is not as important as you might think.

Anything is possible, but I dont see Fractal catching up to the brand\market share that Apple has. If the HX Stomp is $600, are they going to sell a smaller AX8 for that price? That seems like a pretty low margin. Again, I see an Axe III enabled floor unit as the way forward. Also, Fractal is way behind on the FC controllers, and dont see how they can build any new pedals in the near future. I would bet they are going to keep the hardware line as-is for the next 6-12 months... Which gives them time to look for a cheaper\smaller Keystone chip

Anything is possible, but I dont see Fractal catching up to the brand\market share that Apple has. If the HX Stomp is $600, are they going to sell a smaller AX8 for that price? That seems like a pretty low margin. Again, I see an Axe III enabled floor unit as the way forward. Also, Fractal is way behind on the FC controllers, and dont see how they can build any new pedals in the near future. I would bet they are going to keep the hardware line as-is for the next 6-12 months... Which gives them time to look for a cheaper\smaller Keystone chip

OR they have already built the AX6 or 8
On the same chassis as theFC6 and that’s what’s added to the delays

Pure speculation but if you could design one chassis and have it work
For multiple products that would be ideal I would think

Your comment was that Fractal has to release the product soon or the HX stomp would own the market (as a result of being first to market). I simply pointed out that being first to market is pretty much irrelevant. It's an entirely different conversation of price point and market share but market share is also pretty irrelevant. I'm sure the CEO of Porsche couldn't care less that Toyota has a massively bigger market share.

I think regardless of if/when Fractal releases a smaller version AX8 and pretty much at whatever price point (up to just slightly less than the AX8) it's going to do very well because there's always going to be enough people that value sound, quality and customer support over price.

OR they have already built the AX6 or 8
On the same chassis as theFC6 and that’s what’s added to the delays

Pure speculation but if you could design one chassis and have it work
For multiple products that would be ideal I would think

I dont think the chassis is the issue. Thats probably the least expensive part of it. They need parts, and cant get them. You would need room for the CPUs, fans, etc and the FC6 looks a little tight... where would you put the knobs?

Someone should explain chips that Fractal uses vs Line 6? Are they same? What make Fractal sound better then Line 6, more time spent on the code and modeling?

Someone should explain chips that Fractal uses vs Line 6? Are they same? What make Fractal sound better then Line 6, more time spent on the code and modeling?

The hardware doesn't matter with the exception of the input stage. The real difference is in the modelling algorithms used so it's the firmware.

Nothing, because Fractal doesn’t sound better or worse than line 6. Any perceived differences in the sound of the two units is strictly personal preference and has nothing to do with “better” or “worse”. Anyone who claims different is letting personal bias/brand loyalty interfere.

How can you tell to the public that there is no difference, if it's based on personal preference as you claimed? What if you just can't hear the difference?

It's like saying, that there is no such thing as pitch perfect hearing, because I can't hear it, therefor it does not exists! Anybody else claiming otherwise is lying!

Nothing, because Fractal doesn’t sound better or worse than line 6. Any perceived differences in the sound of the two units is strictly personal preference and has nothing to do with “better” or “worse”. Anyone who claims different is letting personal bias/brand loyalty interfere.
"Better" and "worse" are personal preferences, but "accuracy" is an objective term of comparison.
Fractal amp simulations are way more accurate than line6 ones and this is not fanboyism, I proved it to myself a couple times by comparing side by side ax8, Helix native and real amps.
If you have the opportunity do it too.

"Better" and "worse" are personal preferences, but "accuracy" is an objective term of comparison.
Fractal amp simulations are way more accurate than line6 ones and this is not fanboyism, I proved it to myself a couple times by comparing side by side ax8, Helix native and real amps.
If you have the opportunity do it too.

Agreed, I've had my Ax8 two years and my Line6 Stomp since release and before that had an Aa3 for about a year

There is a definite quality difference to each unit, I find the Fractal to be the most pristine and detailed, which to me sounds the most like the 'real' amps
The line6 is close, and certainly sounds great. But doesn't have that extra percentage I find my Ax8 does

There's a reason why the Stomp is sat on my desk and Ax8 is on nearly all the time I have my guitar in my hands

Ymmv

Guys it can't be cheap and based on Axe III internals. You've gotta pick one pipe dream.

Cheap or cheaper? The AX8 is now selling for less than 20% when it was released a couple years ago. Also, the AXE III is now 10% off, and its less than a year old. Given that the price of the chips would fall over time... the new AX8 could be under $2000 and have the AXE III chips.

My understanding is the HX Stomp using the same processor as the AX8, just 1 instead of 2. I have both the Stomp (had to wait a while to get mine as they're selling out everywhere) and the AX8. The HX Stomp really is a marvel of engineering, the amount of ins and outs they were able to cram into it is kinda amazing. I love the format and as good as it is, the Fractal amp modeling has a slight edge to it. It's hard to put into words though as it's mostly about the feel though there are some aural things which happen in the AX8 which I can't quite coax out of the HX as well. Side by side pretty obvious but in a vacuum I'd probably never miss the difference. The biggest difference is in the approach to effects and controllers. Fractal is more akin to working with rack processors and modern VST's which have lots of parameters for a more generalized effect which can be morphed to sound like pretty much any pedal while Line 6 is aiming more at those who are more comfortable with pedals with specific models of a ton of stomps with the same modeled controls as the real deal. There are benefits and draw backs to both. Line 6 is totally lacking in controller assigns while Fractal is overflowing in that area.

I'd be extremely interested in a AX4 or AX6. But honestly, not sure Fractal should be trying to directly compete with Line 6 here as the scale of the companies is quite different with Line 6 being sold at nearly every retailer vs direct sales only for Fractal. They'll likely never compete in terms of market penetration, but that's not why we buy Fractal devices anyway. We want the attention to detail and very high quality modeling Fractal provides.

The AX8 is now selling for less than 20% when it was released a couple years ago.

I think you mean "20% less" not "less than 20%".

There's a significant difference. If the original were $1000, then the 1st meaning would be $800 and the second would mean less than $200 ;)

All I want is a Ruckus Overdrive pedal. 2 footswitch double wide pedal form factor. Bypass and X/Y. Basic control knobs, gain volume treble mid bass. And USB to deep edit on a computer, definitely want all the clipping options! In my not so humble opinion, that Ruckus OD is damn near worth the price of admission for an AX8

I guess maybe you didn’t read what I said. I didn’t say there was no difference. I said the perceived differences were based on personal preferences. For instances, I’ve seen multiple mentions that Fractal sounds “darker”. Depending on your preferences “darker” may be better or worse. But again, that’s your preference, not fact.

Reading comprehension is important.

Fair enough!

It makes me wonder if you ever use the words "better" or "worse" in any context? If you do, then when and why? I am truly curious.

The quote I was responding to was “what makes Fractal sound better”. He didn’t say “more accurate”. I stand by my answer. No better or worse, just different.

And yes, I’ve compared Fractal, Line 6, and Atomic side by side. Extensively. I disagree with your assessment, but it’s not worth digging into, because it won’t change your mind, nor will you change mine.
I agree there's no better or worse when we talk about tones and personal preference, less accurate doesn't mean it sounds bad.

Anyway I was suggesting to compare those modeling devices not to each other but to the real amps they emulate, that's the only way to find out if their models are accurate.
In my comparison Fractal won twice and by a good margin, the Hiwatt model for example (an amp I played for years) was undistinguishable from the original, while Helix model was less dynamic, had a sort of nasal quality I wasn't able to dial out and didn't react the same way to external drive pedals.

Just my experience, YMMV

All I want is a Ruckus Overdrive pedal. 2 footswitch double wide pedal form factor. Bypass and X/Y. Basic control knobs, gain volume treble mid bass. And USB to deep edit on a computer, definitely want all the clipping options! In my not so humble opinion, that Ruckus OD is damn near worth the price of admission for an AX8
In that case, no need for a modeler! https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals/distortion/suhr-riot/
No USB, but buy 2 for instant X/Y capability! :D

BTW I was serious, not being facetious. I'm a pedal guy, I have had every OD pedal under the sun including preamp pedals with real tubes, and nothing has ever been a better Marshall in a box for me than AX8 Ruckus Overdrive.

AX8 has definitely spoiled me. Initially I loved the small form factor. Now i want even smaller, even if it means less switches and less effect blocks/processing power

Back
Top Bottom