Any plans for a small stomp AX4?

I'm trying to determine how to interpret this :) Is it "I know nothing" slanted or "What in the %^&* are you talking about?"

While "I know nothing...nothing!!" was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw Sgt. Schultz there, my only firm takeaway from all of this is that LeBeau could always loosen Schultz's by making him strudel so Hogan could extract information from him.

So, all we need to do, is get Cliff some fresh, home-made strudel and he will spill...

To be honest, I would be ssuuper happy if Fractal made a product that only has an amp block and a cab block. One footswitch for amp xy.

No need for firmware updates, just bug fixes and it's done.

Maybe it's me, but I don't get it. The AX8 is not big, it's light weight, it's easy to transport, easy to set up and everything you need is there. Why the call for something a quarter it's size and ability? A back up rig? Buy a FlyRig, buy a second AX8, have a small pedal board in a case with a Quilter or Powerstage.

As far as the Line6 Stomp, it's $600. That doesn't look like a deal to me, what do you think a Fractal AX Stomp or AX4 would cost.

Sorry folks, I just don't get it, maybe it's me.

Fair points, but for me a few examples why I'd like a smaller unit. I play in a 6x piece band, sometimes we play small pubs and I dont want the AX8 in its road case being right in the line of fire for drinks and idiots.

But mainly, I have an Atomic AA3 (and the Stomp on it's way) for something small that fits in my gigbag as a backup, but equally for the times when I just need to have the smaller unit available to me, it just seems really handy and the simple fact is I prefer Fractal quality and would like that flexibility of the smaller unit with the, I feel, higher quality of Fractal modelling

An AX4 would be great for:
  • backup to your Axe Fx or AX8
  • acoustic gigs
  • last minute jams since you keep it in your gig bag
  • re-amping sessions at the studio (small enough to fit on the desk in a control room)
  • adding modeling / direct out for your analog pedalboard
I know for the local music scene in my city, showing up with just a multi-fx floorboard processor is still stigmatized. I keep my AX8 on a PT Pro but man that takes up so much floor space and weighs more than an amp. If I had a PT Metro with a few analog stomps and a Fractal branded stomp at the end, that would be lean and killer.

I would instantly order an ax4.

If the processing needs to be cut down then for the smaller unit then restrict some of the options eg one block of each effect, 4 presets or scenes and a scroll knobs to change banks etc for the added portability it would be worth it imo.

Guys, please...
I am talking about a stomp pedal, 4 foot switches, cigarbox size, 10 % of the usual Axe tweaking options, 30% of the amps + cabs + efx, 50 % of the AX8 cpu power, whole package fits in my pocket and sounds like Fractal.
First, I am looking at a drive/amp/cab/reverb preset and it's 52%, so half the CPU power is a no-go. And if you're going to say "amps and cabs only, lose the effects", then you're being incredibly unrealistic with what is actually helpful or useful to people. There would be no market for such a crippled device. My full-fat presets sit in the 70% range and I am a light effects user.

Second, are you under the impression that removing amps and cabs, and removing deep editing, would somehow make this device cheaper or smaller? Because that is not how any of this works. Not remotely. Even if you're trying to remove some knobs, doing so would require retooling the rest of the interface for basic edits.

Would a mini-AX be cool? Sure. I have an HX Stomp order page open right now because it seems like a neat thing to have. But the way you're suggesting getting there simply makes no sense and isn't a good idea.

Great Idea. I really like to have something like the stomp pedal from L company with Fractal name on it :)

Once you get used to some of the cool dual amp rigs, and super flexible routings you can do with all the IO on the III, etc, I think it would be hard to give that all up, at least for me.

The III is a little more to carry around, though still far easier than an amp, but the whole point of it is this crazy level of cpu and the ability to do near anything.

I had an Ax8 which was good, but it felt kind of a step the wrong way from my II. An ax4 would seem even more limited, at least for me.

I realize people have different needs and all, but I kind of think of FAS as a no compromise, best sound possible, crazy power type of product.

Something like a ax4 would seem like a compromise of good sound, limited power, fits into a smaller space, which would seem a bit non-Fractal way of doing things lol.

To be honest, I would be ssuuper happy if Fractal made a product that only has an amp block and a cab block. One footswitch for amp xy.

No need for firmware updates, just bug fixes and it's done.

This! USB so you can audition/save/load. Clean and simple. Also nice for pedal heads that don't want to give up space on their boards. honestly, I should probably just mount my AX8 underneath my pedal board and rout a switch up for XY. Just my opinion though, I'm only one somebody online.

How about a unit that takes a snapshot of your AxFX III settings, loads them into memory and allows you 8 scenes, no editing, in a 4 button pedal board. Basically all the features of one AX FX III preset. Great for certain types of gigs.

How about a unit that takes a snapshot of your AxFX III settings, loads them into memory and allows you 8 scenes, no editing, in a 4 button pedal board. Basically all the features of one AX FX III preset. Great for certain types of gigs.
No editing? would you use a bunch of analog pedals without any knobs?

I love the concept... but how to implement it in a way that keeps it simple but still up to FAS standards seems to be the thing - editing, controlling, and cpu would all be questions. I'm sure Cliff and crew would come up w/ something great if they wanted to. (what was Elaine's "truth serum" on Seinfeld? Schnapps? ;-)

I could totally see being able to get thru a gig or jam session with a few presets with scenes or fx. Carry it in your bag when you don't want to bring anything else, great for a fly gig, or for impromptu sessions where you wouldn't have your rig with you. Some people would even probably put it on their board and use it as their main amp rig.

If it had a midi in I could also see it being a great add-on to an AX8 rig... like put your reverb and delay on it and free up CPU. Or have a 2nd amp block available ;-)

Reactions: JTI
i think all the mockups are great, funny, etc. but i think these images will start floating around elsewhere and confuse people into thinking they're real products.

maybe let's stop with those for now?

Back
Top Bottom