Any plans for a small stomp AX4?

Love the AX4 concept and looking at other offerings, there's room for improvement other than the amp models and all that discussion regarding amps, IRs, FX, tone. I'm a Fractal guy.

My AX8 is the best pedal I have ever owned and yeah, it would be great to have a small footprint "AX4" but with a large screen?

My thinking....It would be a nightmare for someone to have a Helix or Headrush or future AX4 stomp that works perfectly well but the screen is mucked up or touch doesn't work for some reason.

How about something the size of the Fly Rig 5? No screen and tiny footprint but packing the capability of Fractal amps & FX.
Toss in a wifi chip and run a simple HTML 5 interface so even a cheap Amazon tablet can run it. The remote connection can even update firmware. I see ridiculously powerful System on a Chip CPUs with 8 cores, GPU, ultra low power.

Add the I/O for expression and XLRs for good measure. I see myself using my FracPad software most of the time now and love having an iPad controlling my AX8 mounted chest level on my mic stand.

Pinch me.

fractal just seems more "serious" a company to me and more focused on alot fewer products which i think may allow them to put more eggs in one basket with tech and tone. Line 6 seems to be more jack of all trades and master of none with its diverse portfolio of products at all levels and in many diff areas for guitar. Not that thats bad per se but their resale value is alot less overall and they seem to make more low end products in general. Sure helix has raised the bar with them and i admit their support is excellent but the fractal just seems a depper company with less frills.

I will likely get flamed(was banned from tgp) for my outspoken opinions.lol

Last edited:
I've got an AA6 as a backup and it's really made me appreciate just how good the FAS modelling, effects and Axe-edit are. A FAS take on the AA6/HX Stomp with the ability to use Axe-edit ...

53000927.jpg

A couple of years ago Clif stated that he had (I f I remember correctly) 6-8 interesting new items that he wanted to bring to the world/ marked. I can see that he has brought 4 of them, Attenuator, AX-8, AXE FxIII And the new pedal boards. WHICH leaves room for 2-4 NEW inventions/ Innovations.........Bring it on.......

That being said. I personally dont think Fractal will downsize the AX-8. The history tells a different story......Citius, altius, fortius (Olympian motto that seem to go well with Fractal Audio): Faster, Higher, Stronger... Which in my book is great. I dont need anything smaller than the AX-8. (I dont need anything else to be honest :) ) But if an AX-xx based on the AXE FX III were to come out I would be one of the first in line........As a matter of fact: Better sign me up on the waiting list right away.....

And then again: Happy New Year to all of you guys.....And keep on dreaming.... I like it.....And who knows. One of our dreams, may spark the mind of Clif and result in one of his epiphanies that gives us goodies

Kind regards

AAEN

Of course he is up to something
It was obvious with. Multiple I know nothing memes lol

He has likely been up to something for a while now

Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later

It's coming up for a year since the AXEIII was announced, wonder if anythings due?

To rephrase one of the oldest and one of the best jokes found on the internet (it then concerned some new fantastic iphone iteration):

"If they make AX-shuffle I might be interested. You get it - it has no screen, no switches, and plays through randomly selected rig. That would be something!"

:D

Come on guys, let FAS do what they excel at. Making great all-in-one rack sound processors, and then putting as much of it as possible into sturdy floor unit. Making scaled down versions of scaled down AX8 _today_ makes no sense IMHO. I hope there will be a proper Axe-Fx III -based floor unit first. Then - if FAS considers that being profitable at all - scaled down tiny something.

An odd thought regarding the deleted handles and the vague hints in this thread....

Nutty idea of the day: what if they're working on a modular system where you get the FC of your choice and attach a sound module to the side of it?

Nah, this isn't crazy at all. Now that I think of it, after reading all the recent hints on the forum, there is no other way around. New AX-x will probably be a sound module with like 3 buttons in the bottom row, and a large screen / controls above it. It will be midi controlled, but it will attach firmly to FC-6s / FC-12s, gaining 2-way communication, auto updating FC displays, and all the stuff like that. I wonder if the exp pedals' connections will be available only through FCs... Nah, this is nuts :)

Nah, this isn't crazy at all. Now that I think of it, after reading all the recent hints on the forum, there is no other way around. New AX-x will probably be a sound module with like 3 buttons in the bottom row, and a large screen / controls above it. It will be midi controlled, but it will attach firmly to FC-6s / FC-12s, gaining 2-way communication, auto updating FC displays, and all the stuff like that. I wonder if the exp pedals' connections will be available only through FCs... Nah, this is nuts :)

Lol I really think you guys are overthinking this

I don't think a small footprint AX-mini has to be a "Lite" version at all. My idea is the latest CPU and firmware with less buttons an external HTML capable device. If making a much small box, fewer footswitches, which depends on an external, user provided display can bring down manufacturing costs significantly, it would be great. If anything, target the size of the Boss GT-1 with a built in expression.
Add 2 expression jacks, L/R outputs for both quarter inch and XLR plus MIDI over USB and of course Send/Return. Put a few simple LEDs (ie: level indicators) on the pedal to keep it small and simple.

Perhaps it can be sold as the next-Gen AX8 called the AX8 Fly Rig? Doesn't have to be marketed as a Diet-AX8 at all. Same power and capability as the Axe FX-III but in a compact floor unit.

The primary factor for being a proud owner of my AX8 since June 2016 is the incredible tone. That comes from the CPU and firmware.
Once that cost is figured out, smaller packaging does not have to take away anything from the sonic abilities.

As I approach a 3rd year of ownership of my AX8, I would love to sell my Atomic AFB, Boss Katana 100 head and other gear and will gladly put my money for the next floorboard from FAS. Would be great to have an all Fractal setup. I'm sold!

I don't think a small footprint AX-mini has to be a "Lite" version at all. My idea is the latest CPU and firmware with less buttons an external HTML capable device. If making a much small box, fewer footswitches, which depends on an external, user provided display can bring down manufacturing costs significantly, it would be great. If anything, target the size of the Boss GT-1 with a built in expression.
Add 2 expression jacks, L/R outputs for both quarter inch and XLR plus MIDI over USB and of course Send/Return. Put a few simple LEDs (ie: level indicators) on the pedal to keep it small and simple.

Perhaps it can be sold as the next-Gen AX8 called the AX8 Fly Rig? Doesn't have to be marketed as a Diet-AX8 at all. Same power and capability as the Axe FX-III but in a compact floor unit.

The primary factor for being a proud owner of my AX8 since June 2016 is the incredible tone. That comes from the CPU and firmware.
Once that cost is figured out, smaller packaging does not have to take away anything from the sonic abilities.

As I approach a 3rd year of ownership of my AX8, I would love to sell my Atomic AFB, Boss Katana 100 head and other gear and will gladly put my money for the next floorboard from FAS. Would be great to have an all Fractal setup. I'm sold!

I would be very surprised if they used the current tech and just did a lesser featured AX8 at a lower price point

I think it will apply AXE3 modelling and use the FC footswitch design they have worked so hard on.

Back
Top Bottom