Any other Vigier players?

To all the Vigier players here:

I'm curious how the Vigier terms hold up to abuse in terms of returning to zero.

Also, do you find that the intonation of a Vigier is so precise that it supercedes compensated nuts or systems?

Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences!

I have no complaints about the bridge on mine - returns to zero, super stable. But what helps is also the nut and 'flex retainers' instead of string trees. Obviously mine isn't a Floyd, so crazy Steve Vai stunts will pull it out of tune eventually.

As for intonation, it is not so much that it is more precise than other guitars with regular frets and nuts, but more that the neck doesn't move, so you don't have to adjust it. But it won't do what Earvana or True Temperament does, for example.

I have no complaints about the bridge on mine - returns to zero, super stable. But what helps is also the nut and 'flex retainers' instead of string trees. Obviously mine isn't a Floyd, so crazy Steve Vai stunts will pull it out of tune eventually.

As for intonation, it is not so much that it is more precise than other guitars with regular frets and nuts, but more that the neck doesn't move, so you don't have to adjust it. But it won't do what Earvana or True Temperament does, for example.
Thanks so much for that. It's a dilemma for me, because I'm really far away from the nearest dealer. So much about Vigier sounds ideal, but I do wonder about certain things. I hear when guitars are out of tune, and it drives me nuts, so I really do find that compensation helps immensely. That's one reason I was looking at Tom Anderson; I'm so familiar with Buzz Feiten system, and it totally takes care of it for me. On the other hand, John Suhr actually posted in a forum long ago when he gave up the Feiten system due to customer requests that his nuts are cut so precisely that you don't really notice a difference; it's interested to consider the possibility that a properly set up guitar with a properly cut nut, (or in Vigier's case, a properly designed zero fret) might be just as good. I wonder about that, and I'm definitely going to try a Suhr locally to see how the intonation feels in person. My go to test is first cowboy chords compared to fourths and fifths up the neck. That will give me some frame of reference for Vigier!

Fantastic to learn about the 2011 trem too in comparison to the Floyd. This will help immensely to make an informed decision.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for that. It's a dilemma for me, because I'm really far away from the nearest dealer. So much about Vigier sounds ideal, but I do wonder about certain things. I hear when guitars are out of tune, and it drives me nuts, so I really do find that compensation helps immensely. That's one reason I was looking at Tom Anderson; I'm so familiar with Buzz Feiten system, and it totally takes care of it for me. On the other hand, John Suhr actually posted in a forum long ago when he gave up the Feiten system due to customer requests that his nuts are cut so precisely that you don't really notice a difference; it's interested to consider the possibility that a properly set up guitar with a properly cut nut, (or in Vigier's case, a properly designed zero fret) might be just as good. I wonder about that, and I'm definitely going to try a Suhr locally to see how the intonation feels in person. My go to test is first cowboy chords compared to fourths and fifths up the neck. That will give me some frame of reference for Vigier!

Fantastic to learn about the 2011 trem too in comparison to the Floyd. This will help immensely to make an informed decision.

Thanks again!
Yeah the intonation quirks left are the ones inherent in the straight-fretted guitar design. :) And just to clarify, I've had zero issues with intonation on mine. It was set up from shop when I got it, and it's still spot on 4 years later with no adjustments. They are incredible guitars.

Yeah the intonation quirks left are the ones inherent in the straight-fretted guitar design. :) And just to clarify, I've had zero issues with intonation on mine. It was set up from shop when I got it, and it's still spot on 4 years later with no adjustments. They are incredible guitars.
Much appreciated!

I have zero intonation issues with my all of mine. I have owned buzz feiten guitars and I feel the vigiers are just as good. I am also really picky about intonation.

Last edited:
I have zero intonation issues with my all of mine. I have owned buzz feiten guitars and I feel the vigier are just as good. I am also really picky about intonation.
That is really helpful to read. I'm so bad about intonation; I'll just stop whatever I'm doing until it's right haha. That is awesome to learn that it really is not an issue for you, and the fact that you've had Feiten tuning system guitars to compare. Thanks for adding your experience!

I have an Excaliber Indus. Really good neck and despite the old school heel great upper fret playability, as good as anything. I have one slight gripe and that is the angle of the fret bevel. It is too much and cuts in to the playing width. This only happened when they switched to stainless frets and changed the end dressing procedure. The latest incarnation of the zero fret takes care of all the previous problems entirely . The 10 90 neck rod system just works and in 30 years I have never come across one that had ANY twist, warp or truss rod related issues. Set up can be flawless and stability is 100%. If you like the guitar as is because they really only make one neck shape and two bodies get one because you won't find a better guitar. That said I don't play mine all that much .
Hi, Andy. When you mentioned the fret bevel is too much and cuts in to the playing width, do you mean that, for instance, the E string is more susceptible to slide off the fretboard?

Hi, Andy. When you mentioned the fret bevel is too much and cuts in to the playing width, do you mean that, for instance, the E string is more susceptible to slide off the fretboard?
In practice there is still plenty of room but the angle cut unnecessarily cuts in to the playing area. A very small angle and a dressed fret end is better.
IMG_2070.jpg
Here is mine.

I like how many thoughtful design features these guitars have; carbon fiber in the neck, a well executed zero fret and so on. I have never come across one in person. They don't seem to be very well known in the US.

I have 2 Vigiers. Both are the Expert models...Classic Rock model and a Retro 54 Hardtail. YES !! they are amazing guitars.

I have one for sale ( the Retro 54 Hardtail ) but I'll be keeping the Classic Rock model.

I never even saw one until I bought one...I'm glad I did. No regrets !

I have 2 Vigiers. Both are the Expert models...Classic Rock model and a Retro 54 Hardtail. YES !! they are amazing guitars.

I have one for sale ( the Retro 54 Hardtail ) but I'll be keeping the Classic Rock model.

I never even saw one until I bought one...I'm glad I did. No regrets !
Not that I'm in a position to buy one at the moment but I'd love to see photos, especially the Retro 54!

Back
Top Bottom