Any other Vigier players?

Kamil Kisiel

Power User
IMG_2438.jpeg

I now own two. I picked up the Surfretter used from Reverb for my birthday last year. I play a bit Shamisen, which is like a 3-string fretless Japanese banjo, and have always wanted an electric guitar that was fretless. When I found out about the Vigier Surfretter and how the metal fretboard actually provides decent sustain on an electric guitar, I had to have one. It's a really unique instrument. When I got it I really fell in love with the overall neck feel and balance of the instrument as well, it definitely had that modern superstrat thing going but with a bit more of a classic aesthetic.

I later discovered the Shawn Lane model (left) which also ticked a lot of boxes for me. I've always liked the feel of playing Gibson-scale guitars, but I also mostly prefer strat type guitars with a superstrat layout, and non-locking trems. This had all of that, plus a bunch of other interesting features I don't see on many other guitars like this: zero fret, dive-only trem with roller saddles. Another very unusual thing about this guitar is that there is no radius to the fretboard... it's completely flat. At first it felt very unusual, as if the fretboard was actually curved in the opposite direction, but I soon got used to it and now I wish my other guitars also had this :)

Anyone else on the forum play Vigier guitars? Would love to see them!

Last edited:
I've thought about a Surfreter a few times but that's an expensive entry point into the fretless guitar world...

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Vigier guitars and basses.

Nice natural finish :) Do you use any special tunings on it?

I found that playing a fretless in E standard is kind of pointless as I generally don't tend to use a lot of the traditional chord shapes, and also the tone varies quite significantly between different strings, so I tend to go for a lot more single-string playing.. which also maximizes the fretless effect. As a result I usually use some kind of open tuning, I think mine is in DADGAD right now but I also used CGCFGC before.

Yes I have a Excalibur surfretter supra, which was the only fretless at that time I believe....I could be wrong
needless to say, Vigier is the most incredible and detailed guitar company ive ever come across

Now I am an avid guitar guy, not so much gear, actually, I don't care about gear at all, which is why I bought FAS Axe 3 (I don't know anything about tube amps, and my favorite is mesa boogie, so I didn't want to spend 2k on a mesa rig and then have to learn to maintain it properly at this point, and with FAS Axe 3/FM3, you get every amp on earth there is, so just an aside)

The fretwork is unparalleled (haha get it)

but seriously, the Delta metal fingerboard, with the carbon fiber strip, on top of the amazing work on the guitar itself, albeit a basic superstrat body shape, the paint, the finish, its all simply PERFECTion

I have some of the best guitars in the world thanks be to good (shookran lillah, al hamdulillah), god truly blessed me with acquiring the absolute best productions there are (and two ESP custom shops), so I KNOW quality like a mutha

And Vigier is TOP TOP TIER, top knotch...I would say its as good if not better than my custom shop ESP, and you know ESP CS has a reputation as the best "big" company on earth, and I know a lot of this is hyperbolic but its not bombast, I assure you, its to only reference how incredible Vigier is

Im so glad you brought up this question because Vigier deserves recognition as one of, if not, the BEST European luthier, and definitely, without a doubt, and I say this with the conviction of a man who plays the fretless with second nature (like the English virtuoso with super curly hair, very bluesy, I think his name is Gutherie Godan?), actually my girlfriends think my fretless IS my guitar, not my "metal" guitars

The only reason I haven't made it my main axe is because (1) the strings are expenisve lol and I am NOT GOOD with strings, as you all should know by now , and it is not limited at all but it certainly is "easier" for rhythmic work/chords, especially if you need to barre

But yes, I think your guitars are Gorgeous dude...which do you like better, and have you ever played another [inferior] freltess brand? you can definitely tell Vigier quality is just off the charts, they should be considered one of the "boutique" NAMM guitars IMHO

Its not even my favorite guitar, like nota tall, but it is one of the best guitars I have ever ever seen or anyone has , I encourage anyone to try it

Im so glad you brought up this question because Vigier deserves recognition as one of, if not, the BEST European luthier, and definitely, without a doubt, and I say this with the conviction of a man who plays the fretless with second nature (like the English virtuoso with super curly hair, very bluesy, I think his name is Gutherie Godan?), actually my girlfriends think my fretless IS my guitar, not my "metal" guitars
Assuming you mean Guthrie Govan? He has a video playing a Surfreter :)

And Vigier is TOP TOP TIER, top knotch...I would say its as good if not better than my custom shop ESP, and you know ESP CS has a reputation as the best "big" company on earth, and I know a lot of this is hyperbolic but its not bombast, I assure you, its to only reference how incredible Vigier is

I know exactly what you mean. I have a few high end guitars: an Ibanez J. Custom RG, EBMM JP6, and a Suhr Modern. They are all amazing guitars but the Vigiers just feel totally perfect. There's nothing I dislike about either of them.

But yes, I think your guitars are Gorgeous dude...which do you like better, and have you ever played another [inferior] freltess brand? you can definitely tell Vigier quality is just off the charts, they should be considered one of the "boutique" NAMM guitars IMHO
I must saw the Shawn Lane is pretty much my favourite guitar I've ever played. It might be easy to assume it's just a pure shred machine but actually it works well for so many other things. I like that they used more "vintage" pickups, you can really get some great dynamic tones due to the lower gain. Also the superswitch with the HH config in the middle just makes it a perfect replacement for both a strat and a Les Paul all in one guitar.

I do have another fretless guitar, it's a Godin A11 Glissentar, 11 string acoustic with a piezo. Totally different vibe than the Vigier and doesn't get nearly the same sustain.. it's more of a percussive acoustic instrument.

A friend of mine actually had a semi-fretless with a metal fretboard made by a local luthier. It becomes fretless after the 12th fret. Have not had the opportunity to try it out yet...

That's very encouraging to hear. A few times I've been tempted to get a Shawn Lane model. Not just now, though, I have a flat radius jazz hollow body due any day now....
Oh yeah Renderman, dont hesitate if you were at all questioning the supremacy of such an instrument. Even if its not new it will be flawless and glorious, i assure You.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a few high end guitars: an Ibanez J. Custom RG, EBMM JP6, and a Suhr Modern. They are all amazing guitars but the Vigiers just feel totally perfect. There's nothing I dislike about either of them.

I must saw the Shawn Lane is pretty much my favourite guitar I've ever played. It might be easy to assume it's just a pure shred machine but actually it works well for so many other things. I like that they used more "vintage" pickups, you can really get some great dynamic tones due to the lower gain. Also the superswitch with the HH config in the middle just makes it a perfect replacement for both a strat and a Les Paul all in one guitar.

I do have another fretless guitar, it's a Godin A11 Glissentar, 11 string acoustic with a piezo. Totally different vibe than the Vigier and doesn't get nearly the same sustain.. it's more of a percussive acoustic instrument.

A friend of mine actually had a semi-fretless with a metal fretboard made by a local luthier. It becomes fretless after the 12th fret. Have not had the opportunity to try it out yet...
Can you show us a pic? And do you have any video or recording of that other one dude? How much did that run you?

Oh yeah Renderman, dont hesitate if you were at all questioning the supremacy of such an instrument. Even if its not new it will be flawless and glorious, i assure You.

Can you show us a pic? And do you have any video or recording of that other one dude? How much did that run you?
C55AF62F-BC43-4456-B63B-3ED2FEB1B80F.jpeg

This is the Glissentar. I picked it up from the used section of a local shop for like $900. I did have tk spend like $80 on two sets of Thomastik Infeld rope core strings though.

Was huge into them years back.
Had at one time or another an Excalibur, Expert, and both a Lane standard and Lane Master.
Great, great, great guitars and Patrice is a really nice man.
The zero radius fretboard on the Lane's was such a trip.
Eyes were so use to a radius that the flat board almost looked very slightly concave at times.

Was huge into them years back.
Had at one time or another an Excalibur, Expert, and both a Lane standard and Lane Master.
Great, great, great guitars and Patrice is a really nice man.
The zero radius fretboard on the Lane's was such a trip.
Eyes were so use to a radius that the flat board almost looked very slightly concave at times.
Yeah, I've thought about selling my J. Custom and getting a Vigier with a floyd instead...

Yeah, I've thought about selling my J. Custom and getting a Vigier with a floyd instead...

I grew up with a Floyd so the stock Vigier trem always felt... I don't know, dainty??
But man, the Excalibur/floyd combo was like every 80s super strat but more refined.
Damn! Now I wish I still had it.

Looked like this but had all gold hardware to match the mirror pickguard.

tNHoL03.jpg

Someone should do a video of the fretless guitars. I'd love to hear one.
Hop on to YouTube and search...

The Guthrie Govan video is cool.

The guitarist in Consider the Source uses one a lot.

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal is pretty well known.

Ed DeGenaro who used to be a forum member here is pretty well known in fretless circles.

Back
Top Bottom