Any other options on how to use 'ALT Preset'?

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
I have my MFC set up so that buttons 1-5 are my 5 presets.
Is there any way to have the 'ALT preset' feature (pressing the preset button a second time) change the scene, instead of selecting a new preset?

For each of my 5 presets, I use scene 1 as the primary....and I have scene 2 set up as a solo (boost and delay).
Currently I use button 10 as a 'scene 1/2 toggle'. It allows me to have one button always activate a solo boost, no matter what preset i'm on. But I would rather have that button available for another function, so is there any way to have the 'ALT Preset' feature toggle the scene....rather than selecting a new preset?

Or is there another way to do this? (I'm kinda new to having an MFC).

ALT preset sends a PC message and so it is locked to loading a new preset and cannot be set for scene selection. Or at least that's my understanding since the only options available are GBL, ALT, or BAK.

Are there any other ways to use buttons 1-5 in a way that allows:
Press once - select a preset (scene 1)
Press again - same preset but scene 2
Press again - back to scene 1

Scene 1 is the default Scene when a preset is selected. Set the IA Switch to "Toggle Scene 1 & Scene 2" feature. Each time you press the IA Switch it will toggle between Scenes 1 & 2. Remember to use the REVEAL switch if you're also using that switch to select a preset. You may want to familiarize yourself with the "First Preset Switch" feature also (Firmware 3.08) which allows you to start your Preset Switches at any switch instead of switch #1.

Scene 1 is the default Scene when a preset is selected. Set the IA Switch to "Toggle Scene 1 & Scene 2" feature. Each time you press the IA Switch it will toggle between Scenes 1 & 2. Remember to use the REVEAL switch if you're also using that switch to select a preset. You may want to familiarize yourself with the "First Preset Switch" feature also (Firmware 3.08) which allows you to start your Preset Switches at any switch instead of switch #1.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying:
I can use a single button to toggle scene 1/2, and also use that same button to select a preset....BUT, I have to hit the 'Reveal' button first?

If so, then I think I'm probably going to leave it as is (where I have a single button that togges 1/2, and use separate switches for presets.
Was hoping to get away with pressing a single button to select a preset, and hitting it again to get to scene 2. Sounds like that's not possible (yet) without adding a step to hit the 'reveal' button.

Let me know if I have that right.
(and thanks for your insight)

Section 1.2.1 of the MFC-101 Owner's Manual:
REVEAL: Preset footswitches also have secondary Instant Access Switch functions which become
accessible when Reveal is tapped ON. The default is for footswitches 1-‐5 to select SCENES when
REVEAL is ON. When Reveal is toggled OFF, footswitches revert to their usual preset functions. See p.
29 for more information on Reveal.
In Axe-‐Fx II Mode (p. 12) press and hold REVEAL to enter LOOPER CONTROL MODE (p.79).

You can set your First Preset Switch to #2 and/or setup switch #1 as a general purpose switch (section 5.1.3 “General Use” IA Switches in Axe-‐Fx mode in the MFC-101 Owner's Manual) to not have to deal with the REVEAL. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find a combination that you like - you can't hurt anything.

Hmmm. Hey guys, this thread has given me a cool new idea to solve an issue... forgive me if I ramble while I think this through (live on the internet). Please chime in and say if this makes sense and if I can do this... it sounds like I can...

I'm thinking of setting my bank size to "1" and switch 5 as my 1st preset switch. This works right?

(currently I'm bank size zero, and I get through pre's using bank up down. first row all scenes). For the most part nothing will change, except I give up scene 5 (which I never use anyway) and instead I get a whole new preset at my feet.

Now, set up properly, every preset is basically doubled in capacity. I have 2 presets at my disposal on each bank, each with 4 scenes, all on the first row of the MFC, with my first 4 switches as scenes 1-4 just as they have always been, but now what was scene 5 can be a totally different preset stored anywhere is my AXE? (like a super scene 5, with its own set of CPU power and grid!) Did I think that through right?

Q: Does that preset have to be in the same bank? (A,B,C,D etc or can it be that bank A is all my main presets and Bank B my alternates?

Here is one example of how I am thinking of using this: I play "Rebel Yell", and I have very complex preset (let's say it's #17) that has the ray gun effect on an expression pedal on my solo scene (scene 4). The preset uses a ton of CPU and the grid is complex, so there is not room for anything else in it. BUT... I want a preset (let's say, #117) that gives me the synth sound for the synth solo in the breakdown. I would make that my alt preset and now what was scene 5, will ACT like scene 5 only with that synth sound... tap on #5 again and return to my main Rebel Yell preset on scene 1, the main rhythm tone.

Then, bank up takes me to preset #18, next in line. If needed, it could have #118 as it's alt.

Does that work? (I'm away from my Axe right now at work... not working...as usual!)

As to why I want the alt way up at 117 out of the way, it's because I still want to cycle through songs sequentially using UP/DOWN... but have alt presets (for each main preset - or at least a few) on tap.

You can assign any of the presets as alternate preset
Nice. I thought so...at least up through 384 right... (doesn't matter, I won't need more than that on my MFC)

So then... my whole idea works? If so I'm going to be super stoked. This opens up yet another huge door. Man...more power. I love it.

@Pinkycramps - I like this idea. It will allow the easy use of those special FX presets. I too am currently on bank size 0 but this may offer a lot more flexibility. I like it!

It would be a bit complicated, but using CUSTOM MAPPING in the Axe-Fx would allow the MFC's ALT PRESET to select a scene instead.

OR... if Axe-Fx mode were OFF, you could set the alt preset to send NO MIDI PCs and have it instead just fire the CC for the scene you wanted within whatever was the current preset.

Depending on your presets, that might even work if Axe-Fx mode were on, if you used a very carefully designed Axe-Fx Tx Map in the MFC.

Depending on your presets, that might even work if Axe-Fx mode were on, if you used a very carefully designed Axe-Fx Tx Map in the MFC.

Matt, can you elaborate on this a bit as to how to do it?
Or is this a case of....RTFM?

Would mfc edit allow me to do this more easily (as I am newer to the mfc)?

Set the IA Switch to "Toggle Scene 1 & Scene 2" feature. Each time you press the IA Switch it will toggle between Scenes 1 & 2.

I'm curious why there is only a "Toggle Scene 1/2" feature. I really had use for a Toggle 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/5 etc. function. Is there a chance that this will be added in the next firmware? :)

I'm curious why there is only a "Toggle Scene 1/2" feature. I really had use for a Toggle 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/5 etc. function. Is there a chance that this will be added in the next firmware? :)
Swap scene 2 with 3/4//5 using Axe-Edit then you have that functionality.

Is it possible to Step on Button 1, have it select a preset and have it also send CC messages (which let's say turns a delay and reverb on).
Then step on the same Button 1 again, have the 'Alt Preset' set to be the same patch/preset, and when the same CC messages are sent, it will then turn the delay and reverb off?

I'm trying to find a way to use a single button to toggle between selecting a patch, and then boosting for a solo....and then back again.
(without making the 'boost' be a different preset/patch....I just don't like the lag during a preset change)

Swap scene 2 with 3/4//5 using Axe-Edit then you have that functionality.

Thanks, but scene swapping is not possible in my case. I should have mentioned that I don't want one of these possibilities, I want all of them! :D
That's why I would like to have more Scene Toggle functions. Not just only 1/2.

But I thought that you are the MFC programmer, thats why I mentioned it. I somehow missed that you are responsible for the Editor.

Thanks, but scene swapping is not possible in my case. I should have mentioned that I don't want one of these possibilities, I want all of them! :D
That's why I would like to have more Scene Toggle functions. Not just only 1/2.

But I thought that you are the MFC programmer, thats why I mentioned it. I somehow missed that you are responsible for the Editor.
Cliff has spoiled us all. We want it all and we want it now! :). I'm thinking that each Preset could have an "ALT SCENE" the same way it has an "ALT PRESET" then you could toggle between the current (default 1) and the ALT SCENE with the switch :)

Cliff has spoiled us all. We want it all and we want it now! :). I'm thinking that each Preset could have an "ALT SCENE" the same way it has an "ALT PRESET" then you could toggle between the current (default 1) and the ALT SCENE with the switch :)
great idea

Somebody correct if I am wrong, but wasn't there also a request for specifying which scene got selected by default when you load a new preset?

Makes me wonder if the suggestion by @bwanagary would be in the same general ballpark and whether they could both be assessed for viability...

That would be pretty awesome. Then the Preset switch could function as a Scene 1/2 switch if you wanted. For me, this would make more sense that setting it to an alt preset.
-
Austin

Reactions: BBN
Back
Top Bottom