Any one use W/D/W routing?

Dramelot

Power User
When i go back to try 7.0. I am going to rebuild all my patches for w/d/w.
I figure allot of pros like EVH, Morse, Stevens,Schoen, Thorn and many others use this approach. The AX II is capeable so..
I will use 2 QSC's for wet, 1 Emi coax for dry.
I have found minimal and old info on this.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/47194-setting-up-ultra-w-d-w.html

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3251/wdwfoh.jpg

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/25470-wet-dry-wet-rigs-2.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/48388-w-d-w-routing-templete.html

Found Jays WDW Marshall patch but wont open in AX edit (attached here)

I have been running in Stereo.
To minimize problems i would like WDW possibly with the 7-20ms delay on stage, but send FOH
the dry signal with delay/verb in mono.
(Ofcourse i would love to hand the FOH 3 sends and may build a set for this but..we know how that goes over sometimes)

So any new directions on this would help before i tackle!

If any thanks in advance!
Duane

Attachments

• WDW Marshall.syx
    2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Very cool Duane... I'm going to do this some day. Right now I need to focus on getting the II.

It just seems the way to go and allow me to swim in sound, while having the FOH sound consistent all the time. Of course when my Mackie DL1608 gets here (who knows when) my own sound I can use 3 lines LCR to it. But other gigs I have no control and the mono option above has been endorsed by Jay many times. And he does know a little lol!!

It just seems the way to go and allow me to swim in sound, while having the FOH sound consistent all the time. Of course when my Mackie DL1608 gets here (who knows when) my own sound I can use 3 lines LCR to it. But other gigs I have no control and the mono option above has been endorsed by Jay many times. And he does know a little lol!!

I can't test this right now, but the idea is to use one set of outs for the delay / mod effects and the other for amp / cab.

But there are lots of different ways to build a WDW preset. Like take the str8 gtr -> delay for the W vs. Amp -> delay for the wet etc.

Lot's of choices.

For this one, the amp -> cab is the dry signal and amp -> cab -> delay -> verb in stereo is the w/w signal.

Richard

Thanks Richard.
That is one way to do it for sure. I could add a mono DLY and RVB before the FXL and tie the delay to my CC that I use to adjust delay mix for FOH. But I'm gonna try to use out 1 to FOH and DRY (balanced) and the FXL for the W/W since its a shorter run Hi Z to the QSC's W/W. Otherwise its use a DI box and more cables but workable. I need to goof with it a bit tonite.

Can anyone get that .syx of Jays WDW Marshall I attached to open?

This is a good thread about WDW on the Axe.

Thanks Funeral,
Already read that one, but forgot to ad to list. Added up above

Bakerman seems to be the routing master, would like to bend his ear.
I just need to sit down and reread the chapter on routing, understand filters and I/O better.

Last edited:
Ok bump in the road.
Out 2 L R W/W all stereo effects avail, like chorus, vibe, delay, etc
Out 1L Dry center (Always Dry)
Out 1R Dry w\mono delay, chorus, vibe, etc FOH
Headache...Tylenol..

Maybe best to send 2 lines to FOH one side of the wet, and the Dry.
That way when I can do 3 lines to FOH there is no reconfigure, just add a line and pan accordingly

Last edited:
Ok bump in the road.
Out 2 L R W/W all stereo effects avail, like chorus, vibe, delay, etc
Out 1L Dry center (Always Dry)
Out 1R Dry w\mono delay, chorus, vibe, etc FOH
Headache...Tylenol..

Maybe best to send 2 lines to FOH one side of the wet, and the Dry.
That way when I can do 3 lines to FOH there is no reconfigure, just add a line and pan accordingly

With my small FOH PA, I do run stereo efx to the FOH like that, but really, for me, the W/D/W is all about the stage mix and doesn't apply to the FOH per se.

But, when the stage backline is what the audience hears mostly, in a small venue, then it is bloody marvelous.

I'm too lazy to bring all the gear though, so its not something I would do often :)

Richard

Right Richard,
The W/D/W will be all for me!! lol and for the audience in small venues.
I dont mind bringing the QSC's and an extra 12 coax if it moves me!!
I love the stereo thing but as i move forward i want to be able to fit in any context (outdoor festivals) and not worry about anything getting lost FOH.

I'm not sure I see the reason to go WDW when using amp sims in the Axe. The reason this was/is done is because there are tube amps without efx loop and/or one wanted efx post the tube power amp. When using the power amp sims in the Axe + SS amplification I don't quite see the point + you don't have to rely on the FOH guy to do the balance.

The reason behind it is better articulation. I only do FRFR now so there is always cab sims on everything.
With stereo you are relying on the center phantom image to be clean and uneffected. With W/D/W only W's are effected. Your Dry is pure amp tone no effects. The sound is huge on stage!!
The trick is getting a signal representing what I want out front.

The reason behind it is better articulation. I only do FRFR now so there is always cab sims on everything.
With stereo you are relying on the center phantom image to be clean and uneffected. With W/D/W only W's are effected. Your Dry is pure amp tone no effects. The sound is huge on stage!!
The trick is getting a signal representing what I want out front.

+1

I'm not sure I see the reason to go WDW when using amp sims in the Axe. The reason this was/is done is because there are tube amps without efx loop and/or one wanted efx post the tube power amp. When using the power amp sims in the Axe + SS amplification I don't quite see the point + you don't have to rely on the FOH guy to do the balance.

You just have to try it to see what the fuss is about.

It truly is something you should at least experience.

Richard

Ok, I can see that reasoning when wanting to sound huge on stage 8) But sending separate guit/efx to FOH?

When I was using out2 to a matric/cab, I cut that in before the reverb and rotary. That was cool at the time. The other day I was practicing and had a preset on the GSP where the delay return was on a different side than the initial note. I really liked that, sitting between them. Not sure I will go to the effort to mess with that for live stuff(down to one FRFR cab right now), but in a recording mode, that is very nice sounding.

Ok, I can see that reasoning when wanting to sound huge on stage 8) But sending separate guit/efx to FOH?
Well If you only send a dry signal to FOH , any time you bring in a chorus or delay or verb post cab the audience wont hear it at larger venues. I dont trust sound men, I like to get my tones as close to what I want so they dont go EQ crazy on me.
Mono is of course the way to go for this. But i want to swim in the fractal tones in all its glory!! I want it all!!! lol

Well If you only send a dry signal to FOH , any time you bring in a chorus or delay or verb post cab the audience wont hear it at larger venues. I dont trust sound men, I like to get my tones as close to what I want so they dont go EQ crazy on me.
Mono is of course the way to go for this. But i want to swim in the fractal tones in all its glory!! I want it all!!! lol

No, I mean a stereo mix to FOH. But I guess you'd then need an additional mixer...

Back
Top Bottom