Any Noise or Tone Loss Due to Digital Input?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Hello All

I'm looking to pick up an FX8 to replace the two eventide H9's on my Tube amp rig. The H9 effects are great and super quiet in the effects loop, however running PRE to front of amp effects greatly changes the tone and adds hiss.

In the past i had big issues with an early G system run I was struggling with. Major tone loss. It always seem to be due to digital input technology. Can anyone comment on this in regards to the FX8?

I've been a long time axefx user and never had any issues but I've never ran it 4CM with an amp before.

Any noise issues? Any tone loss? I'm looking at a new Mkii not an original version.

Thanks

I had an Eventide Timefactor and it did the same thing as your H9. Quiet in the loop, hiss into the front of an amp. I have an original version FX8 and haven't noticed any difference between running it in the loop, 4CM or into the front of an amp. Any noise I've experienced has been remedied with humbuster type cables. I make my own cables so it was easy enough for me to try the FX8 without and determine if I needed them.

As far as tone loss, that's a whole new can of worms. Some guys insist they hear a difference, others say it's completely transparent. For me it's never been an issue, I have never felt I was losing any tone using the FX8 with any of my amps. Coming from my experience with the Timefactor, I'd say that if you're happy with the performance of the H9, you will be happy with the FX8.

I have a Mesa Mark V and have owned the H9 and the FX8 on more that one occasion. I have also owned the G System in the past with the same Mark V. The G System is flat out horrible with it's tone loss because of its converters - It has a major tone suck as well as the G Major 2 that I have owned. The H9's are great in the loop but as you say in the front they do change the tone.

The way the FX8 routes and converts much better. The amp sounds very natural in the 4CM and my amp is picky and sensitive.

Bottom line - no worries with the FX8

I don't hear any tone loss or alteration at all running the FX8 in 4CM with my Bogner Ecstasy. I can turn the loop on and off and theres no difference at all between the two... Obviously the noise floor goes up when using the compressor block or drive block but my set up has been extremely quiet...

Nice man! I grabbed a B stock first of the year as well. Definitely the most quiet and versatile pedalboard I've owned. I'm a happy camper.

@boltrecords have you got your fx8 rig going well? Possibly headed that direction myself. Circles :)

Yes. Going great. Working flawlessly.
Extremely quiet. No noise or tone suck issues at all. I was turned off by 4 cable method in the past but this completely changed my perspective.

I'm just working on setting up a new pedalboard and implementing a digitech drop pedal and my Klon KTR.

Anybody playing high gain amps through the FX8? How does the noise gate hold up?
I'm using a Friedman smallbox. BE channel is fairly high gain. Even with a drive channel boosting it's still very quiet to where I don't even use the gate. But the FX8 has a fantastic gate block

Back
Top Bottom