Any Musicman Luke III owner here?

dupere11497

Experienced
Just wondering how you guys like it with your Axe fx? I've just purchase a new one on Ebay that should be home for christmas. It's the blue one with a rosted maple neck and 2 Dimarzio Transition humbuckers. I've played and owned many Musicman over the years but never played a Luke so I'm kind of curious to know how it performs and sounds. Thanks!

Hi,
I have a Luke3 for 6 months and I am very happy.
Mine is the one with the natural rosewood neck in olive gold color.
The neck is very thin (I do not recommend for those who have large hands), access to the upper frets is very easy.
the transition pickups are very "fat" in humbuckers mode and integrated preamp works great in "single-coil".
The whammy is very accurate.
In short, a wonder!
The only gripe I could make him, is that the pickups are not adjustable and they have, in my opinion, a little too far from the strings (a luke request I think)

Attached two recordings with this guitar and the AFX2.
This is a very good guitar, you will not be disappointed.

Merry christmas! ...

Last edited:
Thanks! I have small hands so the neck should feel great! I'm trying to get a pickup shematic to figure out every combinatiin on the fibe way switch but can't find one. Execpt from the 1 and 5 position which obviously should be bridge and neck humbucker, what are the 3 other position configuration? Thanks again!

Merci encore! Tes clips sont supers! C'est exactement le genre de sons que je recherche pour cette guitare! Joyeux noel cousin francais! :)

How does the neck feel in relation to a EBMM JP6? I have rather large hands and long fingers and the JP6 neck is the best neck of all my guitars. Also, I have a set of the Transition pups in a strat I put together and I really like em so I imagine as a Ernie Ball fan the Luke III plays like a dream....

How does the neck feel in relation to a EBMM JP6? I have rather large hands and long fingers and the JP6 neck is the best neck of all my guitars. Also, I have a set of the Transition pups in a strat I put together and I really like em so I imagine as a Ernie Ball fan the Luke III plays like a dream....
I have own 2 JP and the neck felt good and fast. But it's a bit wider at the nut vs Luke and the radius is flatter. Frets on the JP are bigger too, more like Jumbos! It's seems like JP has a modern specs neck while Luke has a more vintage kind of neck!

My two Luke's have thin v shaped necks, the Luke 1 is mega skinny. They are great. Skinny necked guitars rule. And I have large hands, I just dont see the point of big fat clubby necks. There's not enough love for em. I'm saving for an L3 also. Just for a different vibe with the pickups etc. EBMM guitars are super high quality instruments.

Contratulations, fantastic guitars! I have both the HH and HSS versions in olive green. My favourite guitars except for the Transition pickups that I personally simply dislike. Too dark for my taste. Very surprised by them, had expected to like them being a Luke nut ever since I heard Childs Anthem the first time. I have replaced the pickups in the HH with Suhr Doug Aldrich and am in the process of replacing the singles in the HSS with Cream Ts which I have in a Luke II Koa.

Since yesterday, i make new tests on luke3 and the "transition" pickups.
on Luke3, you can't adjust the height of the pickups unlike almost all guitars gibson or fender style.
The distance between the microphones is very far from the strings on mine (~5 mm, i think it's a steeve choice).
I decided to do a test by fitting the legs of pickups with foam. I put together about 2mm from the strings and how to say?
The guitar is completely transformed: very more dynamic, less "fat". positions # 2/5 single-coil mode is still clear.
So I will continue my tests and give you a little recording of the final result as soon as I have some time.

Last edited:
Love that dark sound Luke gets on Transition album - boy would Luke ever be a welcome addition to the Fractal family of artists.

Doug Aldrich is a monster too - love Doug's and Luke's tones on Derek Sharinian's Oceana album. Steve Stevens is on it too!

EDIT: are you sure the Transition PU heights are not adjustable? :eek:

Last edited:
Contratulations, fantastic guitars! I have both the HH and HSS versions in olive green. My favourite guitars except for the Transition pickups that I personally simply dislike. Too dark for my taste. Very surprised by them, had expected to like them being a Luke nut ever since I heard Childs Anthem the first time. I have replaced the pickups in the HH with Suhr Doug Aldrich and am in the process of replacing the singles in the HSS with Cream Ts which I have in a Luke II Koa.

Hey North how do you find the Aldrich in comparison to the transition? I have been thinking of changing mine over.

I have 2 LukeIIIs in Neptune Blue both HH configuration but one has the rosewood board. Both are awesome guitars but they are slightly different than the standard LIIIs as they have mahogany bodies and larger SS frets. Love the feel of these necks. My JP6 neck is much thinner and flatter in comparison. The LIIIs are my goto guitars now as they are very versatile, and they sound and look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom