Any music critics?

As posted a few weeks ago, I'm enrolled in the Music Production program at Berklee. As part of one class I'm trying to get feedback on some pre-selected songs. This requires listening to two songs (3.5 min long each) and then answering 4 questions about them. Anyone who's interested and so motivated can respond. I totally understand anyone not being interested or having enough time. It generally takes about 10 minutes total to include listening and then responding. Just reply here with your answers if you're interested. I greatly appreciate anyone who can afford and will take the time to answer these questions. If you have a similar need, by all means let me return the favor. The songs/videos and the questions I need answered are below. Note, I didn't pick these songs, they were from a short pre-determined list. Make no assumptions about my preference or lack thereof:

1. What emotions do you feel in reaction to this record?
2. What sensory and/or kinesthetic responses did your body have in response to this record?
3. What do you feel the recording artist was intending to convey in this record?
4. How successful do you feel the recording artist was in conveying that intention?

Mehhh
Most of the music industry no longer seems to really about the music at all!
They would record just about anything they thought would sell

Most of these songs are written by someone else...
The video was the vision of a hired director...
Costumes and photography was a special unit...
I think very little of the "artist" is being portrayed in most music and even less in a video...

...eerrr... I think I am in a pissy mood...
Never mind what I said!
Later!

This is a really great class. I took it along with 'Critical Listening I' last term and they both really changed the way I listen to music.

I think part of this class is observing people in the listening environment and comparing their reactions to what they describe. So, I'd recommend doing some in-person observations if you have the chance.

Oh, and you may want to post the list of emotional responses - I would have never come up with "righteous indignation" left to my own ;)

Have fun!

I agree. The live subjects is the challenge. This is the third week/experiment. I have already used my wife and people at work. All my other musical friends are spread around the world and busy with jobs, etc. I haven't resorted to randomly asking strangers for 10-15 minutes of their time. I know I get borderline homicidal when asked by someone else. I like to leave it up to the subject to describe their emotions. I think picking from a list makes it a bit more artificial.

Back
Top Bottom