Any Low Watt Power Amps & FRFR Cab Recommendations

jandjrs

Inspired
Much of what I've read on the forum has been about the Atomic & Matrix power amps. In the past, I've used the 65Amps Empire, Fenders and other low watt Combos. I found 25 watts and under to be sufficient in most case and mic'd to a PA if I needed more.

Since I purchased the AFII, what other recommendations can be provided for Low Watt Power Amps and Smaller FRFR Cabs?

John

I'm always looking out for low powered and light stuff, so I'm interested as well

Thanks Sixstring

I'm not looking for cheap. In fact, I'm looking for the quality of the Atomic & Matrix in a low watt package with FRFR to match.

I'm not looking for cheap either, but small and light. I was actually looking at the zvex amps before.....fit in your pocket kinda deals LOL I think at the time I decided to get a vox night train instead. I love it too, but I'm now that I have the axe, I'm looking for a rack power amp that's light and small....so far I think the matrix is the deal for me, but I don't need all that power....I'm no brian may or richie sambora to need that kind of power LOL

and for FRFR speakers, I'm all ears......

With FRFR, I wouldn't worry so much about low power. The volume sweet spot is much broader on FRFR systems than most guitar cabs. You sure don't want to drive a solid state amp into clipping and transients can do that pretty easily.

Also, why are you looking for a power amp/speaker for FRFR? Is there an issue with powered FRFR speakers?

I'm not looking for cheap either, but small and light. I was actually looking at the zvex amps before.....fit in your pocket kinda deals LOL I think at the time I decided to get a vox night train instead. I love it too, but I'm now that I have the axe, I'm looking for a rack power amp that's light and small....so far I think the matrix is the deal for me, but I don't need all that power....I'm no brian may or richie sambora to need that kind of power LOL

and for FRFR speakers, I'm all ears......

Have you considered the Carvin DCM200L...? no powerhouse when compared to the Matrix but nether is the cost. At 4Lbs I think it's the lightest single space rack mount SS amp on the market. The $239.00 price tag is not bad ether.

Passive FR speakers are wide open, generally the more you spend the flatter they get. Prosumer stuff can be tricky so I would try before you buy to see what you like. Application is important as well, desktop, floor wedge or standing. The Passive Reactors would be a safe bet and coupled with the Carvin I bet would sound pretty good.

yea I'm actually a big carvin fan LOL i don't know why I never considered them before.....that IS pretty light! *face palm moment*
I was thinking about a passive wedge too, but I have nothing against an active wedge. I like electrovoice stuff, but that's nowhere NEAR light! :eek:

that acoustic image site is just not opening up for me :S is it working for anyone else?

yea I'm actually a big carvin fan LOL i don't know why I never considered them before.....that IS pretty light! *face palm moment*
I was thinking about a passive wedge too, but I have nothing against an active wedge. I like electrovoice stuff, but that's nowhere NEAR light! :eek:

that acoustic image site is just not opening up for me :S is it working for anyone else?

jon,

The linked worked for me. It looks like a flash website though and I know some devices / browsers don't do flash.

Richard

Yea, i thought it was that...I'm on ipad right now so it's a no-no :( will check it out when I get to another machine.

Back
Top Bottom