Any Love for the JC120?

Sorry my mistake, On reflection, You are correct, I am using the full FRFR setup from the AX3 for my purposes.

Power amp modelling is in fact on.

This is a good point, I wondered about this, should I need to set the IC to Resistive Load for all cabinet speaker Sims?

I am using a Celestion F12 X200 which claims to be a FRFR speaker but with Amp in the room feel?

If I neutralise the curve does in inhibit the Cab sim?

How does the feature work and what is it controlling?

Reactions: yek
If the default curve for that amp model sounds and feels good, just leave at that. Only change the curve if high and lows from the PS and speaker are annoying.

At this point its worth mentioning that I dont want to change guitars..... I realise that single coil pickups would probably soIve the issue immediately but I dont have time to change guitars during my set. I need to find a few sims that could work with my current set-up?

Can you not split the pickups on the PRS?

You can......

But..... I have the annoying Rotary 5 Way Switch that is virtually impossible to reach and turn quickly enough to toggle between SC and HB configurations and also makes a really annoying "pop" when Switched across the selection sweep.

Its not really intended for that purpose. (Bad design flaw on PRS part in my opinion). (I Might look to getting it changed at some point to a Standard Fender style Selector).

Seeing as most of the songs I play would suit a guitar using single coils for intros and verses and then switch to Hb's for the choruses and Solo's etc.

Therefore, As a preferred medium, I favour Hb's over SC''s and keep the guitar on the Treble pick up nearly all of the time.

Not sure how old your PRS is, but I had a rotary Custom 22 and several years ago was able to swap it out for the McCarty style switching (3 way toggle with push/pull tone knob for coil splits). I was able to get a kit for doing that from PRS.

Try it with the power amp turned off and no cab.

I love JC-120 amps, and this is my favorite way to use them. I love how much easier digital gear makes it to do this in a live rig.

Any time I'm asked to play 80s style music this is my go-to for all clean parts

Absolutely perfect for that 80's sound.

I have heard that Charlie Burchill from Simple Minds used one in the early 80's.

I'm looking for the" Don't you forget about me" tone if anyone knows how to get close?

Apparently, he used the Roland before switching to Marshall.

What drive pedals if any, work well with this amp? As the built in overdrive is notoriously SH!T

I used a JC120 model for a recent New Wave show. Was pretty happy with my sound. I don’t remember there being much special to the Don’t You Forget About Me tone. I definitely added a dotted eight delay to the verse and interlude which gave it a nice 80s style texture.

Used a JC-120 with a vintage TS-8 and H&K Tube-Amp (is a pedal) back in the day and got loads of compliments on the tone.

With the appropriate front-end drive, I used the JC120 to absolutely nail the guitar on green eyed lady. It flat-out nails it.

If I recall, the real JC-120 chorus is not stereo, but mono coming out of only one of the 1 x 12 speakers.

Steve Hackett used a JC-120 on Seconds Out I believe (well, it was a Roland JC but not exactly a 120. And Steve Rothery of Marillion has used a JC in combination with a Marshall, at least through the 80's and 90's. On solos, surprisingly, he uses (or did in the past) the JC and an overdrive (just like Mr. Hackett did), not the Marshall.

Nice job Tom Morris!

Its just an awkward spot full stop isn't it???

Ive always wondered if Paul intended this version to be predominantly a studio guitar as this is a ridiculous place to put a pick up selector.

You couldn't combine a worse design with a worse placement if you tried!

Must be easier with that Mod tho.

It was. but I have since put the stock knob back on as I'm only using that guitar for a few songs that I don't need the switch. I also have a PRS Custom 24 FR and I hate where they put the 5 way blade switch as well. Too far back behind the trem bar. I mean really how hard would it be to cut a different cavity shape and cover plate? Paul you lazy &^%&^$(! LOL

Last edited:
Absolutely perfect for that 80's sound.

I have heard that Charlie Burchill from Simple Minds used one in the early 80's.

I'm looking for the" Don't you forget about me" tone if anyone knows how to get close?

Apparently, he used the Roland before switching to Marshall.

What drive pedals if any, work well with this amp? As the built in overdrive is notoriously SH!T
I'm pretty sure Charley Burchill started using Matchless amps when they recorded that song as well as "Ghostdancing." Before that album he used JC120s and maybe some Marshalls a bit, but since then he's been a huge Matchless guy.

I am not gonna use it much but had to buy one for my collection, a lovely Roland Limited JC-120-50A 50th Anniversary. For 15 years now this is my amp i use most, also in the Axe as a sim.

guitariran-roland-jc-120-jazz-chorus-50th-anniversary-1.jpg
guitariran-roland-jc-120-jazz-chorus-50th-anniversary-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom