Any Love for the JC120?

neale dunham

Experienced
Searching for a good clean sound that stays clean with my PRS CE-24 set to stun (on 10) has been a challenge to say the least!

However, a few days back I stumbled across the Jc120.

What a revelation, it seems I have found the answer...…

Didn't give it a thought at first as its a SS amp and I've predominantly been a valve man all my life.

What a great sounding amp!

Anyone else feeling the love?

Thanks for the reply Scorch,

I only use my Presets through a real world valve amp + Cab.

Although I do appreciate what you are saying.

Thanks.

There's a reason Metallica and others carried one around on tour beside their tube rigs for clean tones! Beautiful clean sound from the real thing as well.

Understood.

Never being a SS fan. I didn't realise just how good these things are!

Even most of the Fender amp Sims start to breakup around 3.00 on the dial with my Guitar.

This thing seems to stay clean most of the way. With my guitar maxxed and also give a really cool sound that doesnt sound like a typical SS Clean sound.

Superb!

Thanks for the reply Scorch,

I only use my Presets through a real world valve amp + Cab.

Although I do appreciate what you are saying.

Thanks.

He's telling you to try turning off the power amp in the model unless you are already doing that globally. You'd do this by going into the amp model deep settings under 'Power Supply' and setting the 'Supply Sag' to zero. Or since you are using a tube power amp if you want to defeat power amp modeling globally you could go to the global settings and set the Power Amp to off.

You may have already done this or know this but wasn't totally sure from the reply.

Also, speaking of power amp modeling with a real power amp, if you do have them turned off already and haven't tried using power amp sims with your tube power amp it is a cool thing to mess with if you are tweaker. :D

Sometimes I actually leave the power amp sim on even when using a tube power amp and just adjust the impedance settings. It can be really cool. Like slaving the model's amp and your tube power amp.

Anyway, yeah, the JC120 is the archetypal, crystalline clean sound I associate with the 80s. It is definitely a favorite of mine. Love it with some chorus.

I just got tagged to be the keyboard player in a Cure cover band... with my guitar. This is not in my wheelhouse, but I've been able to come up with some really convincing stuff using just the Axe 3.

The other day I figured I'd drop a JC120 in the presets so I can noodle around with the guitar parts as well (never known when someone will forget a lick or not show up to a rehearsal). It's nice to finally have an excuse to play around with it, having a lot of fun with the Japan CE-1 and a stereo delay.

Playing in a new wave cover band. The jc120 is my favourite amp. Combine it with japan chorus. Flanger digital delay an super overdrive and result is top.

Searching for a good clean sound that stays clean with my PRS CE-24 set to stun (on 10) has been a challenge to say the least!

However, a few days back I stumbled across the Jc120.

What a revelation, it seems I have found the answer...…

Didn't give it a thought at first as its a SS amp and I've predominantly been a valve man all my life.

What a great sounding amp!

Anyone else feeling the love?
For more fun, swap out the tone stack with the JTM45 tone stack.

Interested concept swapping out the tone stack?

How is this done exactly?

Also, I think the Original unit came with an early Boss Chorus unit built in to the actual amp right?

Does the Axe Fx Replicate this Chorusa anywhere?

I have noticed the Japan 2 Chorus sim but dont see a Ce-1?

Can someone point me in the right direction to nail the correct Chorus unit for this Amp.

It would be a shame for Fractal to have gone to great lengths to model this great amp, and then fall at the last hurdle and not Model the chorus unit that came with it???

I am a big fan of the JC 120 and it is really hard to copy my real JC 120's to the Axe3 (I believe the challenge is not in the amplifier but in the cabinet)
, with the redwirez cab i get close and have a really nice patch. Still misses a bit of boxyness character my real amps have.

So far in my quest to find the ultimate clean tone, the JC120 is the only amp I can find, that I can play with my guitar turned up full with very hot humbuckers and sending the signal through a Fryette Powerstation Power amp with Celestion F12 X200 Speakers to use purely for an amp in the room sound.

As my band do not mic up any equipment other than vocals in a live situation, I rely heavily on how my "stage" sound is heard by the audience.

I have Power amp modelling turned off within the Axe fx but cabinet sims are turned on as the special speaker is designed to handle this.

Almost every other Amp I've tried in this method breaks up really early before the sweet spot, due to how hot the Pickups are.

Ive even tried turning the input trim down to 0.5 to simulate low impedance input which helps a little on some amps.

Only the JC120 seems to respond in the way I want it to.

Unless anybody has any amp sim suggestions to try?

At this point its worth mentioning that I dont want to change guitars..... I realise that single coil pickups would probably soIve the issue immediately but I dont have time to change guitars during my set. I need to find a few sims that could work with my current set-up?

If anyone has any suggestions, im all ears!

Interesting, Maybe I will give that a shot......

As I'm guessing as the label says its a tube pre-amp only?

This could work well for my situation as I only really need a pre amp and cab sim from the axe fx as the power amp section is taken care of by my Fryette power station.

Thanks

This could work well for my situation as I only really need a pre amp and cab sim from the axe fx as the power amp section is taken care of by my Fryette power station.

This is not how the Power Station is supposed to be used when using its Line In. The Power Station does not replace the power amp section of the amp model. It's designed to be as neutral as possible. Only the impedance parameters of the power amp modeling section need to be disabled, by setting the Impedance Curve to "Resistive Load".

Back
Top Bottom