Any Logic pro X users?

It's easy. Connect the AX8 output to the inputs of your audio interface. Adjust levels as needed. Create an audio track. Select the right input, hit record!

If you want to capture a dry track for re-amping, set OUT 2 ECHO to INPUT 2 and connect another line from OUT2 L on the AX8 to your computer.

Nice!
Been using it for over a month -done with my Marshall head.
The Mute while Record is on trick @paranoid shared helped decrease weird latency present.

Looking for other Logic users!

I use logic X for recording. Anything I can help you with?

Not sure there are any secrets. One trick I learned from Scott Henderson is to make sure you slightly pan any lead lines so they're not 100% center that they phase out sometimes. Even -3 works, and it's so close to center you can't tell.

Right now I pan solos a slight amount as you described, rhythms hard left /right once I have created a duplicate track and cut and pasted the piece into it. Easier than trying to nail it exact a 2nd time.

With vocals you can actually record the same part a 2nd time and as its slightly off its gives it space air and a bigger sound!
I also have a great daily chain of plug ins all included in LP X for vocals if anyone wants it (shared by a buddy who makes a living recording in Nashville).

@RoshRoslin where do you Pan bass and drums and vocals in the mix?
Also what do you use to record bass? We have had great luck with a sansAmp pedal.
Need to try the Ax

Drums, it depends if they're programmed, sound replaced or recorded. I do try to get an in the room mix and pan for toms and snare etc. Depends on alot of things, room mics, close micing, phase etc. I just try to get it to sound authentic and real. Bass is usually 2 tracks, a wet and dry track blended together. Usually up the middle or slightly panned. I blend the bass DI clean with something that has more girth. 9/10 it's the AxeFX.

I don't do a lot of vocal recording these days, it's usually mostly bass and guitar and drums (I play drums as well.) and I'm mostly doing demo sessions for producers or just laying guitar down on someone else's track. I don't have alot of original material I record myself. Anything I 'write' is usually for producers or demos for artists, not really my own material.

It's easy. Connect the AX8 output to the inputs of your audio interface. Adjust levels as needed. Create an audio track. Select the right input, hit record!

If you want to capture a dry track for re-amping, set OUT 2 ECHO to INPUT 2 and connect another line from OUT2 L on the AX8 to your computer.
I tried to capture a dry track with my AX8 and the output sounds completely different than going directly to the interface. Levels are much lower and noise is off the charts. I messed around with different settings on the AX8 I/O pages but I never got it to work well. I was expecting it to work like a good ABY box that would pass the unedited clean signal on to the next device. Am I setting this up wrong or does this not actually work well for recording dry tracks?

Right now I pan solos a slight amount as you described, rhythms hard left /right once I have created a duplicate track and cut and pasted the piece into it. Easier than trying to nail it exact a 2nd time.

With vocals you can actually record the same part a 2nd time and as its slightly off its gives it space air and a bigger sound!
I also have a great daily chain of plug ins all included in LP X for vocals if anyone wants it (shared by a buddy who makes a living recording in Nashville).

@RoshRoslin where do you Pan bass and drums and vocals in the mix?
Also what do you use to record bass? We have had great luck with a sansAmp pedal.
Need to try the Ax

Cutting/pasting the same guitar track and panning L/R just gives you a mono version of that track.

A better method is to put a "Sample Delay" plugin on your original track and delay one side 10-30mS. The guitar will sound wide but like it is coming from the non-delayed side. Pan that track slightly to the delayed side to taste. I'll let you google the technicals on this. Search for Haas effect or Precedence effect.

Cutting/pasting the same guitar track and panning L/R just gives you a mono version of that track.

A better method is to put a "Sample Delay" plugin on your original track and delay one side 10-30mS. The guitar will sound wide but like it is coming from the non-delayed side. Pan that track slightly to the delayed side to taste. I'll let you google the technicals on this. Search for Haas effect or Precedence effect.

Although, even better is to play it two times and pan those performances L/R. You can also use the Haas delay "trick" on your doubled parts. Instead if panning them L/R, use the sample delay in both tracks but delay the opposite side in each by slightly different amounts. E.g. 22 R on one and 31 L on the other.

If so, can we share ideas tracking secrets Ax8 or other use with Logic use?

Here's more of a workflow tip. Take swiping to form a comp is a great tool, but you are restricted in the kind of editing you can do on comps. So, once you have a good comp, export it to a new track and work with it there.

I always have a recording track with my comps, and two separate tracks for my good takes (L/R). Then you can trim, fade, etc on the L/R tracks.

Back
Top Bottom