Any Linux bros here? (Axe-FX III as interface)

Let me talk you off the cliff. There is no reasonable argument to be made to use Linux to manage your Axe Fx 3 or use it as a audio interface.
Also I have a Linux machine as well. Just a waste of time.
Just play your guitar………
Hm... I probably wouldn't mess around with Linux as my OS to run the daw from either, but I'd disagree that there are no reasonable arguments. I've been eyeing an Akai MPC One for a while now to expand my rig from pure guitar to a guitar/synth dawless system and I felt the lack of multiple I/O on that device held the whole setup back. The thing runs on Linux and hearing that Axe Fx usb is class compliant for Linux and is apparently working in practice is just the kind of info I was hoping for. That way I can hopefully connect the two devices via usb with some seriously powerful implications (8xI/O on the MPC, with plenty of IO on the Fractal left to connect additional synths and utilize the Fractal effects for more than just the guitar). Granted, it's a pretty niche use case (as would a linux based main "computer" daw), and I guess there's no way to know for sure until I've actually tried it out, but for me at least, this is probably encouraging enough to pull the trigger on the MPC and find out

I have linux machines, I have PCs, and I have several macs.

The only one I'd touch for audio is Mac. In 20+ years of doing computer+audio stuff, it is by far the easiest OS to use for it. Yes, I know PCs are just as powerful, yes I know Macs are overpriced. Trust me, I've heard literally every argument. But at the end of the day, if I want to just get some s--t done, I'm going to run my DAW on a Mac.

If I want to tweak things until the end of the earth, I'll go with PC/*nix

I have linux machines, I have PCs, and I have several macs.

The only one I'd touch for audio is Mac. In 20+ years of doing computer+audio stuff, it is by far the easiest OS to use for it. Yes, I know PCs are just as powerful, yes I know Macs are overpriced. Trust me, I've heard literally every argument. But at the end of the day, if I want to just get some s--t done, I'm going to run my DAW on a Mac.

If I want to tweak things until the end of the earth, I'll go with PC/*nix
That's a valid point and you're probably right about macs being the best option for audio production (although I never used one so I can't say for sure :p). But there are plenty of valid reasons why someone would want to plug the axe fx into a different device, one of them being not wanting to spend a couple grand on a device just for audio production when their existing device is perfectly capable of doing the job. Or like in my case, they'd want to connect the Fractal to a dawless device that happens to run Linux. Admittedly it's an extreme edge use case that most users will never need, and I know I never thought about Linux compatibility before eyeing the MPC, but it's still cool that the possibility is there and it expands my performance options considerably, potentially more (at least for my intended use) than buying a dedicated mac would, for about half the price. After all, let's be honest, nobody really needs hundreds of amps and effects either. A few Marshals, Boogies, Fenders and maybe a Vox would keep most users happy. But for someone, having a Morgan in there as well makes a lot of difference. That's the only point I tried to make.

That's a valid point and you're probably right about macs being the best option for audio production (although I never used one so I can't say for sure :p). But there are plenty of valid reasons why someone would want to plug the axe fx into a different device, one of them being not wanting to spend a couple grand on a device just for audio production when their existing device is perfectly capable of doing the job. Or like in my case, they'd want to connect the Fractal to a dawless device that happens to run Linux. Admittedly it's an extreme edge use case that most users will never need, and I know I never thought about Linux compatibility before eyeing the MPC, but it's still cool that the possibility is there and it expands my performance options considerably, potentially more (at least for my intended use) than buying a dedicated mac would, for about half the price. After all, let's be honest, nobody really needs hundreds of amps and effects either. A few Marshals, Boogies, Fenders and maybe a Vox would keep most users happy. But for someone, having a Morgan in there as well makes a lot of difference. That's the only point I tried to make.
Those are good points. There's nothing wrong with using what you got, I was just mainly responding to OP's statement about "dropping Mac" so I assumed they already had one.

Back
Top Bottom