Any IR for the Lone Star Open Back 1x12 23 Extension Cabinet? (Nick Johnston tone)

Piing

Axe-Master
I am trying to get this tone:

According to the description, the CAB is a Lone Star Open Back 1x12 23" Extension Cabinet with a Mesa Celestion 90 speaker.
Mic’d with a Shure KSM313 and a Shure SM57.
Mixed 45% KSM313 and 50% SM57 and 5% stereo room mic.

What would be the closest IR? I've spent a while browsing my collection, but I am not getting there.

Thank you, Yek and Perdikament. I will try these.

I've also purchased the Cab.IR Lonestar with Black Shadow. https://www.cabir.eu/en/focus-ir-series/28-mb-lostarshadow.html

So many CABs, so little time !

So far I can get very nice tones for almost-clean sparky leads, but very flatulent tones when I push the Gain or Overdrive at the IIC+. It only gets decent when I keep it clean, and use a drive in front of it.

Last edited:
BTW: what is the equivalent of the Axe-FX "Overdrive" control on the real amplifier?

e.g: if they propose these settings (from the video description):

Ch. 2 MKIIC+ Mode
Gain 5
Treble 5
Mid 6
Bass 5.5
Presence 4
Master 4
35 watts
Reverb 65%

I assume that Gain is "Input Drive", but where do I set the "Overdrive" control? At default 5.00?

2019-08-05 19_48_09-Axe-Edit III.png

I am trying to get this tone:

According to the description, the CAB is a Lone Star Open Back 1x12 23" Extension Cabinet with a Mesa Celestion 90 speaker.
Mic’d with a Shure KSM313 and a Shure SM57.
Mixed 45% KSM313 and 50% SM57 and 5% stereo room mic.

What would be the closest IR? I've spent a while browsing my collection, but I am not getting there.

I shared a free 57 IR from a Lonestar with the MC-90 speaker that you can grab here. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/free-black-shadow-mc-90-ir.148138/

I never got around to shooting the 313 on it, but hopefully this will help you get closer to the sound you want.

I've replaced the CS Fat'50/CS69/SSL-5 of my American Deluxe Strat with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot.... Wow! That's instant NJ tone (as in the Remarkably Human album), without falling to the IR rabbit hole. Almost any CAB you throw to it sounds with that smoked character!

And I am not even using the Mesa or the Lonestar CAB. At the moment I've replaced the pickups, I was using the AC30 with Tube-Drive-3-knob to some random ValhalIir 4x12 IR's. Swapped some IR's, and most of them sound with that characteristic DNA. I didn't spend much time tweaking and IR'ing because I was enjoying playing.

Like this:

Who said that pickups do not matter? Was it Mikko? ;)

Last edited:
His new pickups are schecter made...great guitars I have the cheaper one, the pro model has more expensive pickups, I personally think mine sound great. Another rabbit hole!

His new pickups are schecter made...great guitars I have the cheaper one, the pro model has more expensive pickups, I personally think mine sound great. Another rabbit hole!

I did put my eyes on the NJ Schecter too. But when I knew that he used the S.Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot to record the Remarkably Human Album, I decided to buy only the pickups. And it has been worth!

BTW: I've read that after Schecter changed the pickups of his guitar from S.Duncan to Schecter, all his videos playing with the S.Duncan disappeared. Probably due to endorsement obligations. Except the one on my previous post, that has been uploaded by another YouTuber. That is unfortunate, because they say that some of them had very good lessons and clinics.

That strategy has not worked with me, though. I've bought the Duncans but not the Schecter, and I'm satisfied :p

Last edited:
I did put my eyes on the NJ Schecter too. But when I knew that he used the S.Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot to record the Remarkably Human Album, I decided to buy only the pickups. And it has been worth!

BTW: I've read that after Schecter changed the pickups of his guitar from S.Duncan to Schecter, all his videos playing with the S.Duncan disappeared. Probably due to endorsement obligations. Except the one on my previous post, that has been uploaded by another YouTuber. That is unfortunate, because they say that some of them had very good lessons and clinics.

That strategy has not worked with me, though. I've bought the Duncans but not the Schecter, and I'm satisfied :p

Im sure they are awesome, I cant play strats, have literally hated them my whole life, grew up playing les pauls then got used to Jacksons and finally ibanez'; I was thrilled to see The schecter was closer to the feel I like. Its my first single coil, and it has a 16 inch radius, thinner wider neck, its quite sweet for this metal head venturing into cleaner tones.

BTW: what is the equivalent of the Axe-FX "Overdrive" control on the real amplifier?

e.g: if they propose these settings (from the video description):

Ch. 2 MKIIC+ Mode
Gain 5
Treble 5
Mid 6
Bass 5.5
Presence 4
Master 4
35 watts
Reverb 65%

I assume that Gain is "Input Drive", but where do I set the "Overdrive" control? At default 5.00?

View attachment 57147
The video is a mark 5-35, not a mark IIC like you have selected.
We don’t have a model of the mini mark, so you’ll have to use other mark or triaxis models we have available

The video is a mark 5-35, not a mark IIC like you have selected.
We don’t have a model of the mini mark, so you’ll have to use other mark or triaxis models we have available

But at the video description it says that Ch.2 of that amp corresponds to MKIIC+ Mode. Isn't that correct?

Back
Top Bottom