Any ideas how to make this effect??

Justinl21

Hi all,
I used to have boss gt pedals and they had a really cool effect where you could play a note, hit the button and it would hold that note in the background while you play. Really cool for feedback and ebow type sounds. Any idea how to do this without using the looper?

Thanks!!

Is there any way to make the first hold note not die out before transitioning to a new hold note? I'm trying to replicate what my EHX Freeze does - setting the foot switch for latching, freezing a note, hit another note and tapping the foot switch to change into the new frozen note seamlessly.

I've assigned my expression pedal to toggle the reverb hold mode, but when I go to heel down to prepare for a new hold note, there's dead space (hold note dies out for those few seconds before I go into another hold note).

Last edited:
There is also a Hold switch in the delay block, which can be triggered by controllers (expression pedal for instance). Maybe it could be used for that specific effect you're after

i'd stick with reverb. tie your pedal to the hold switch. i'd make the reverb fairly long and rock your pedal quickly back and forth, so that you capture new audio information and hold it in a short time frame.

i'd stick with reverb. tie your pedal to the hold switch. i'd make the reverb fairly long and rock your pedal quickly back and forth, so that you capture new audio information and hold it in a short time frame.

Thanks man! Someone uploaded one of your Freeze type patches and it's really fun to play with - thanks so much. I have a question related to the reverb hold. Wondering if you could shed some light on my issue:

I'm using my EV-1 to toggle reverb hold (heel down - off, toe down - on). When it reaches the transition point, going off to on, I will get this scratchy pot type sound that gets picked up along with the frozen note. If I don't play anything and engage 'hold', this scratchy sound does not happen.

I tried it on both clean and dirty amps, but it will do it with either. I thought it was pickup hum initially, but it only happens when I strike the strings (If I don't hit anything and engage hold mode, there's no scratchy pot type sound being picked up and carried by the hold function). I'm not so sure it's string buzz either.

Any ideas? Does this happen with you?

One thing I forgot about from the video was the ability to change scenes after the chord is held. That's the thing that makes it all worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom